Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you buy a next gen iPad Mini Retina?
Yes, no questions asked. 22 15.28%
Maybe, if the price and specs are right. 42 29.17%
I don't know. 7 4.86%
No, absolutely not. 73 50.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Will you buy an iPad Mini Retina?

A question for those who have held off buying an iPad Mini of course. I'm sure those who have already dived in will no doubt do so again. I have a sinking feeling that I will and while I wouldn't call myself an Android fanboy I am an Apple hater. I used to have a 3GS but I chafed under the iOS ecosystem's strict control. I switched to a Galaxy Note and haven't looked back and I don't think I ever will.
The iPhone in my mind has almost nothing that Android can't to just as well in my opinion. It does lack in the games department but I don't really play games on my phone so that doesn't concern me. However when it comes to tablets I do feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick when it comes to ecosystems (especially games!). I'm also really liking the iPad Mini's aspect ratio. I don't mind 16:10 when it comes to the big tablets but on the Nexus 7 that I tried it really felt overly narrow and like I was holding a really big phone. And of course there's the games (mainly boardgames that never get ported over) that I'd really love to play on a tablet. Also living in Japan I find that I'm forced to use the Japanese Android market which means sometimes I can't get apps onto my device (like no Flickr app). With iOS it's tied to your credit card which means even if I buy the tablet in Japan my Canadian iOS account allows me to get the same apps that everyone else is getting. We'll see what the future holds. If the Mini Retina comes out for the same price as it is now (or lower hopefully!) then I can see myself picking it up. If it comes with a price boost (and still only 16GB) then I can see myself sitting out yet another generation. I really hope that Android and Nexus do well enough to keep the pressure on Apple to try to stay competitive. It really looks like the iPad is going to be the best option for myself in the future and I hate myself for even thinking that!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I voted yes if the price is right, but what I really want is an iPhone Maxi.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I won't. I do have an iPod Classic 160GB, but only because there is no other player that has this much memory aboard (anymore). As soon as there is one (again), and not from Apple, this one will go out the door.

I hate this company if ever there was one, but that's a different topic.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
A question for those who have held off buying an iPad Mini of course. I'm sure those who have already dived in will no doubt do so again.
The current iPad mini screen is fine, so no, I won't be replacing it any time soon.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I answered no, never, but you should never say never.

Apple, IMO, makes beautiful hardware with very precisely designed software. They don't tend to be creative, but they do tend to appropriate the very best ideas, remix them and put out a very refined product. They also tend to be control freaks with a horrible attitude, which, alas, seems to also affect some of their customers.

When something new comes out of Apple, I generally look at it admiringly, play with it when I run across one, sigh, and say, "If only it wasn't by Apple." I then move on to a less beautiful, but more generally useful, and much less controlled product that does about the same thing.

We'll see if the new management changes some of this for the better.

Sadly,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Being male I do not need a Maxi or Mini Pad.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Jack Tingle basically explains my feelings toward Apple perfectly.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Nope.
Too late.
Three months ago I might've but by now I've spent the money I had for a color reading device.
A "retina" mini might not be too little but it is definitely too late to get my business.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Being male I do not need a Maxi or Mini Pad.
Apache
If you have a prostate there may be one in your future.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Nope! No way! Only one Apple product in my home is an iPod nano. One too many if you ask me now, but its good looks reeled me in acouple of years ago. Won't do that mistake again!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I voted yes if the price is right, but what I really want is an iPhone Maxi.
Ahh.

The iPhone Maxi!

Reported sightings indicate a furtive 8 foot tall, hairy upright biped, moving quickly in mist or at night. Especially noted in deep forests or the snowy mountains. This creature as befits his size carries what experts think after long and careful analysis, is a large iPhone perhaps with a 5 inch or even 6 inch screen.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I voted No. I already have a Nexus 7, which already has a great screen at that size, and I find many less uses for such a small screen that the full 10".

I may, however, upgrade to the iPad 5 if there are vast improvements that I want over the iPad 3 I have now. I use my iPad for hours every day, and never upgraded from 1 to 2 because there wasn't anything I needed to have. I got the 3 because of the increased screen resolution.

My favorite handwriting app, Noteshelf, will be ported to Android soon, and when that happens, I may actually not need an iPad any more. It's silly that one app holds me back, but I could not function without it any more.

Last edited by xendula; 02-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I voted No because I have no interest in buying an iPad at all. I will welcome the concept of an iPad Mini Retina because it will drive the rest of the market to develop high dpi smaller tablets, but the iOS device itself is unappealing to me.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
If you have a prostate there may be one in your future.
I still have mine but, since last year, it now glows in the dark.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I have the iPad 3 and love the retina display for dealing with the teeny tiny print on digitized magazines and historical documents.

The downside, since i now use it for 80% of my web surfing and entertainment is the darn thing is too heavy. My bunky has the mini and the size and weight is great, but i would need the higher resolution for some of my reading - i tested it out on his and i needed to enlarge stuff to 110-120% to be able to read all the fine print clearly. So I'm biding my time waiting for the retina mini, and hopefully it will be available in 128 GB. My original iPad had 64GB and i made the mistake of dropping to 16 GB when i bought the iPad 3. Big mistake. Huge.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote