Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #31
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
They're kind of idiots alright. It's too bad that the Kobo doesn't have a slider so that the brightness can be turned down to a more acceptable level.
Is it a joke ? I'm French so can miss something, but actually, the Glo HAS a slider to adjust the light level (and consequenly brightness)
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Is it a joke ? I'm French so can miss something, but actually, the Glo HAS a slider to adjust the light level (and consequenly brightness)
I think he's being sarcastic...goodereader does not have a good reputation on this forum.
Mais, éffectivement, c'est quelques fois difficile de voir si c'est une farce ou non.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
I thought Good Ereader's video comparison review of the Kobo Glo vs. the Kindle Paperwhite and (the oldest model) Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight was very fair. I think it is significant that the review was conducted in darkness with the three glowing displays next to each other, but they kept the Glo on at full brightness nearly the whole 15 minutes. Personally, as I don't watch TV in total darkness, I'd have difficulty using any lighted display in darkness.

The reviewers were very happy with the Paperwhite's pinch-and-zooming on PDFs, but noted that the Glo was tops for graphic novels and still pretty good on academic PDFs.

They noted that Kobo is the friendliest to sideloaded ebooks but knocked the Glo on the lack of control over margins and linespacing. I agree as that is what I have found on the Kobo Touch, and would put improvements in sideloading at the top of my request list.

BTW the reviewers panned the Nook model and wondered if B&N was giving up on eInk. This seems to be a meme but is it correct?
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thinking more about it, although the light on the Kindle does look a little nicer, I reckon the blue tinge to the Glo light is a bit of a red-herring.

1. Unless you are very sensitive to the light you probably won't even notice it in normal use, and would probably only see it if comparing the Glo and the PW side by side.

2. It's most noticeable with the light at it's brightest, in a darkened room. You will never have your light at anywhere near the brightest setting in a dark room, as it's only bright when you are in a well-lit room.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The quality of the paperwhite screen greatly depends on the fact if you personally can see the color blotches or not. A big portion of people don't see them, and are happy, others like me can see them on pretty much all paperwhite screens, it depends on how you perceive colors i guess.

When I watch the video I see a big pink hue on the top right corner of the paperwhite screen a thick pink line about 1/3 to the bottom and the rest of the screen is greenish.

The Glo in the video on the other hand looks uniformly white to me, with a very light blueish tone and a brighter line on top of the screen.

In Reality I don't see the blue hue on the Kobo at all, if you adjust the light properly to your light conditions the screen is just clean white when you hit the sweet spot.

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 10-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #36
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Thinking more about it, although the light on the Kindle does look a little nicer, I reckon the blue tinge to the Glo light is a bit of a red-herring.
The Nook Glow has the same "tinge" to it. The reality is that the white coming from the LEDs that the Nook and Kobo use seem to have a cooler white than the Kindle which is a warmer white.

I can't really call it a red herring, since the warmer white does help when reading in the dark. At least for me. The blueish tint screws with your night vision a bit more, and I didn't like it at all. My eyes got tired a lot faster than with a warmer white. Some A lot of folks won't mind the cooler white though, and in that case, it doesn't really matter too much.

It's hard to say until I can see a Glo in person though. So far it looks like it really carries a more advanced version of the Nook's light guide, rather than something based on the same design that Amazon is using. The Paperwhite's screen actually looks like it is "glowing" versus "being lit". It's hard to quantify.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #37
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I really think this blue tint/brightness issue is going to be pretty subjective from person to person and probably hard to judge in a store setting with fluorescent lighting when you're much more likely to utilize incandescent lighting of an entirely different color temperature at home -assuming you're not buying it just to read in the dark. I'd like it to read while watching the flat screen (trying to break the habit of calling it "the tube") in the normal somewhat subdued lighting in my living room. Oh well, with any luck by the time a Glo is on my radar and available all the which one is best questions will have been answered...

BTW, do you guys realize the slight bluish tint of most of these is pretty common for "white" LEDs as they are really blue LEDs with a white phosphor type coating internally? There are warmer white LEDs, but my guess is they would detract from the whole "paper white" concept - the cooler blue/whites appear a lot whiter.

Last edited by TechniSol; 10-23-2012 at 02:58 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #38
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Here's a device in the dark - can you tell what device it is, from the lack of "ugly blue glow"?

Hint: I don't make money from reshipping it from the USA. That's something they don't disclose, in violation of FTC endorsement guidelines: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...ple-are-asking.

I'll note most other review sites will say if a review was sponsored or product provided. Or if they have any affiliate store or sell said product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1350986943077.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	94713  

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-23-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #39
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Here's a device in the dark - can you tell what device it is, from the lack of "ugly blue glow"?

Hint: I don't make money from reshipping it from the USA. That's something they don't disclose, in violation of FTC endorsement guidelines: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...ple-are-asking.
They don't hide that they're basically the review arm for shopereaders.com as they almost always plug it and it's quite prominant on their site.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #40
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Except they don't say in the post that they ship mostly Kindles, from what I can tell. Kobo units are available in more markets than Kindles, and they don't disclose if they bought the Kindle and borrowed the Glo, or vice-versa. They're supposed to explicitly disclose any connections, so if a review seems biased, it's obvious why.

In this case, they don't. It's almost like they don't want Amazon to jump on them for reselling units outside of designated markets, by glossing over the faults of the PW.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #41
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
They don't hide that they're basically the review arm for shopereaders.com as they almost always plug it and it's quite prominant on their site.
I didn't know that.
So much for unbiased reviews.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #42
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
With the slow rollout in the US and Amazon's lack of rollout outside the US, we just have to wait for some real users to post comparisons. It might take a while. I've been keeping an eye on the comments on the Kindle section of the forum and am now leaning towards the Glo.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #43
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Sorry, yes I was being sarcastic. The goodreader guys seem to mean well and they do give good long videos but I wouldn't take their words over someone more knowledgeable like Lisa over at MobileTechReview.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I can't really call it a red herring, since the warmer white does help when reading in the dark. At least for me. The blueish tint screws with your night vision a bit more, and I didn't like it at all. My eyes got tired a lot faster than with a warmer white. Some A lot of folks won't mind the cooler white though, and in that case, it doesn't really matter too much.
Hmm perhaps I was wrong then to completely dismiss it. I've seen a few people now complaining about the light on the Glo, and I figured it'd just be if you were light sensitive, but what you say makes sense.

The problem is only being able to view the demo models in a shop under bright lights, you can't really see much about the quality of the light, just that it's there.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #45
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Hmm perhaps I was wrong then to completely dismiss it. I've seen a few people now complaining about the light on the Glo, and I figured it'd just be if you were light sensitive, but what you say makes sense.

The problem is only being able to view the demo models in a shop under bright lights, you can't really see much about the quality of the light, just that it's there.
I don't think you were wrong to dismiss it for the reasons you did, just that there are other more subtle factors that play into it as well which change the field a bit.

Color temperature seems to play into circadian rhythms as well in weird ways, where whites closer to daylight will screw up a sleep cycle more than warmer whites. Even though our brain does interesting stuff in the visual cortex, there are other side channels for light to affect us via the retinal pathways that aren't associated with vision. Interesting stuff, and a decent amount of research in how light affects us and environment at night these days.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote