Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #106
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm surprised at some of the books mentioned, but it's also fun to see what really gets on people's nerves.

If I wanted to nominate a classic author who I thought really sucked I'd probably point to Thomas Hardy. My horrible experience partially reading Far from the Madding Crowd may not extend into his other works. However, please excuse me for not bothering to find out.

Generally, I may somewhat over-exaggerate my reverence for classics. As I get older (some might say more decrepid), I'm starting to develop a warm feeling for them that may or may not mean that I need to consider a catheter in the near future.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Not sure that's true. Most of his books were serialised, and that generally indicates something considered suitable for reading by the family after dinner, and of course, the language we now consider dated wouldn't have been so then.
Dickens, like the other popular authors of his day, was writing popular entertainment for the middle classes. They were the "soap operas" of their time. Monthly or weekly magazine serialisation was the normal method for publishing novels at the time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #108
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
If I wanted to nominate a classic author who I thought really sucked I'd probably point to Thomas Hardy. My horrible experience partially reading Far from the Madding Crowd may not extend into his other works. However, please excuse me for not bothering to find out.
For me it was Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which I had to read for my A Levels (required for University entrance). I hated it so much I couldn't finish it, and had to leave out answering a whole third of my English Lit paper.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #109
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
If I wanted to nominate a classic author who I thought really sucked I'd probably point to Thomas Hardy. My horrible experience partially reading Far from the Madding Crowd may not extend into his other works. .
Have to agree with you on that one. I've really tried to get through some of them, but it's no good - I just don't get them. Years ago, I read what I still think is the best description of Hardy's novels: "They're all miserable, and then they die", and I'm afraid I concur fully with it!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #110
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
I'm surprised at some of the books mentioned, but it's also fun to see what really gets on people's nerves.

Generally, I may somewhat over-exaggerate my reverence for classics. As I get older (some might say more decrepid), I'm starting to develop a warm feeling for them that may or may not mean that I need to consider a catheter in the near future.
I had read (and liked) Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure, and then bought Far from the Madding Crowd (before e-books and PG/MR) and could not finish it. It was dull and I could not appreciate the main character.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Have to agree with you on that one. I've really tried to get through some of them, but it's no good - I just don't get them. Years ago, I read what I still think is the best description of Hardy's novels: "They're all miserable, and then they die", and I'm afraid I concur fully with it!
Thomas Hardy was ground-breaking in that he was really the first author to write novels that broke the "rule" that "novels have to have a comedic (ie happy) ending". But I have to agree; Hardy's novels are undoubtedly great works of literature, but they're damned depressing.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #112
Echo75
Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Echo75 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons wins worst book award for me (although I haven't read all of Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey, which by all accounts could be worse).

TBH had such a RIDICULOUS premise that I just couldn't get past it. I didn't like any of the characters either. Alexander was a controlling dipshit. Tatiana just kept doing stupid things, and I got a bit bored with hearing how few potatoes they had left. Then the middle of the book was wall-to-wall cheesy and vanilla sex for like 200 pages. I finished it, but only as an exercise in how not to write.

Oh, and of all the long depressing novels I had to read for my English Literature degree, I actually liked Hardy just for pushing the boundaries. :-)
Echo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #113
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What if 'your' (as in anyone who writes, including me) was named as the worse book ever?

I would like to think that I would be big enough to love my book and not get angry. And remember bad is in the eye of the beholder, just as bueaty is - I love bad movies.

I would hope I could take a little pride in that my book is 'special' to someone.

Just some absurd thoughts on a rain summer morning, because I know my writing is the best (if the italics don't suggest sarcasim, this line should tell you I being sarcastic).

Have fun, Jason
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjantailor View Post
What if 'your' (as in anyone who writes, including me) was named as the worse book ever?

I would like to think that I would be big enough to love my book and not get angry. And remember bad is in the eye of the beholder, just as bueaty is - I love bad movies.

I would hope I could take a little pride in that my book is 'special' to someone.

Just some absurd thoughts on a rain summer morning, because I know my writing is the best (if the italics don't suggest sarcasim, this line should tell you I being sarcastic).

Have fun, Jason
I did say, right at the start of the thread, Jason, that I think one has to be wary of taking the stance that a book that simply doesn't appeal to one is automatically "bad". You make a very valid point.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #115
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anything by Michael Connelly -- plodding, humorless stories populated by plodding, humorless characters described in plodding, humorless prose. (Alternative: James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. Has all the interesting prose, humor, and kickass stories that Connelly lacks.)
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #116
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thomas Hardy was ground-breaking in that he was really the first author to write novels that broke the "rule" that "novels have to have a comedic (ie happy) ending". But I have to agree; Hardy's novels are undoubtedly great works of literature, but they're damned depressing.

I find Hardy's novels to be interesting but slow at times. However, I would recommend people read Hardy's Poetry. After all, He was a poet first and foremost...at least in my opinion... much prefer his poetry to his prose.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #117
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I find Hardy's novels to be interesting but slow at times. However, I would recommend people read Hardy's Poetry. After all, He was a poet first and foremost...at least in my opinion... much prefer his poetry to his prose.
Thomas Hardy, Joseph Conrad, Henry James and Nathaniel Hawthorne were all undeniably great writers, and every well-educated person should read at least one of each of their books.
But life is far too short to bother wading through a second.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #118
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychensmith View Post
Anything by Michael Connelly -- plodding, humorless stories populated by plodding, humorless characters described in plodding, humorless prose. (Alternative: James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. Has all the interesting prose, humor, and kickass stories that Connelly lacks.)
Each to their own, I am a big fan of kickass and a big fan of Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch) who seems kind of kickass to me. Might take a while for him to get to it, but he does get to it.

Elllroy seems a bit more introspective and characters kind of self chatty but I only read one book. Will try another on your recomendation

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #119
jburma
jburma began at the beginning.

Device: none
I joined this site actually just for this post! Does this mean I'm a negative person?

My first read of Don Winslow was "The Dawn Patrol". I loved that book. I read "Savages" after a couple of his others that I did not like as much, but I thought Savages was just atrocious...absolutely unreadable...by far the worst of the lot. The best part of a book for me is character development. This book had characters in which I had absolutely no interest. They all were almost completely unlikeable. And the dialogue was even worse. I guess I'd like the movie if every one of these useless character was blown away.

I find it hysterical that this was made into a movie...my first thought was...what? that book?? The funnier thing is that people are calling it a masterpiece at this point and Winslow now wrote a prequel...talk about cashing in. Good Lord.
jburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #120
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I really hated Lars Kepler's The Hypnotist (NPR review).
IMHO, this is easily the worst Nordic thriller that I've ever read, and I've read lots of them.
I could not finish it so I agree. I do not understand why it was so popular.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote