Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
sony reader store, first timer

So far, I've just been using my reader for pdfs, news, etc... and have been perfectly happy with using Calibre. I initially used the included Sony Reader software, but it's a pain in the rear, and didn't let me organize things in the way I liked.

Now I'm wanting to purchase a book through the Sony store, but am not too excited about having to use the Reader software. Is there a way to get my book, and just upload it to the Reader device without their software messing up the rest of my books? I know I don't have any of them set up or sent to the device via the Sony software, so I'm worried about this!
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I bought my first Sony book from Waterstones recently and it is not too bad a process. First of all you need a free Adobe Digital Editions ID. Then, with Sony's library software installed and ADE open plug in your reader. ADE will offer to authorise your reader with your ADE ID, which you should allow. After this you can say goodbye to Sony's software, (I have uninstalled it), you don't need it for syncing or for purchased books. Simply buy your books and they get loaded directly into ADE - on a Windows PC they end up in "My Documents > My Digital Editions". Now open calibre and use Add Books to get them into calibre as normal. You can't edit them, so you can't convert them, but you can change the metadata, (useful for collections), before sending to the reader.

One thing I have noticed: purchased ePubs are about 5 times the size of ones that you make yourself - I have no idea why!
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
Agama-- Thank you for your reply. I'm happy to hear that the purchases aren't going straight into the device or something... frankly, I don't want the Sony software renaming all my books or any such nonsense!

I tend to have a pretty hard time with software like this, especially iTunes-- it's such a managed experience, and I often find myself wanting to do something a bit outside the lines. Once I've found a good workaround, I'm loathe to give it up!

Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I had that concern too. I found calibre so much better than Sony's library software, so I stayed away from purchased books as long as possible.

I found by trial and error, (and some help through this forum), that the Sony software is necessary just to get your ADE ID transferred to the reader - without it installed ADE did not detect my reader - but after that it can be uninstalled.

ADE works quite happily alongside calibre with any ePubs you care to throw at it, and it does so without touching your reader or your calibre library.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote