Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #421
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Alas no. But! It's changed to a Fire! Without a discount of course.
Well, one can always hope. Thanks for letting me know.

I guess I'll keep ads off until Amazon's offering good deals again. I didn't mind the ads themselves, but the spontaneous rebooting on my K3 was a big pain in the you-know-what.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #422
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The screen has 25% better contrast, probably not something you'd notice without a side by side comparison. On the verge video, the reporter says without the light the new and old touch look about same, as far as grayness of the background is concerned.

So it's the light, mostly.

The additional light diffuse and touch layer probably reduces the clarity and contrast a bit, but I am sure it's more than made up for by the light, improved contrast, and higher resolution.

I expect people with leave the light on all the time, except when outdoor. At night you'll probably still want some external light to provide ambient lighting. Using only the kindle light in the dark will probably make your pupil dilate too much.
If this is true, then the Kobo Glo will have a better looking screen as it uses IR touch and there is no touch layer. Just the light layer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #423
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A capacitive touch layer has no impact on image quality; it's a very thin chemical "paint" on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #424
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If this is true, then the Kobo Glo will have a better looking screen as it uses IR touch and there is no touch layer. Just the light layer.
You have no way of knowinng how good the light diffuser is on the Kobo.
It might be just a plastic film, like on the Nook, and thus degrade the image.
Do note that the reviews at CNET and engadget, among others, made it clear that there is no degradation on the Kindle from the multiple layers.

The Kobo may be as good or better than the KPPW or it might not.
But until somebody gets them side by side nobdy knows anything. Especially about the Kobo where they haven't released any details on their diffuser tech.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #425
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I remember a year ago when the ads were new that most people found them to often offer something that they were interested in. Has that remained true throughout the year? I haven't seen any comments in a long time from people who were taking advantage of the ads.
That's because Amazon quietly dropped the Special Offers program last April and went wild with AmazonLocal offers. Those are now gone too.

With the new Kindles, here's hoping Special Offers 2 is as good as the first one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #426
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Why give up your ePub when you can get a Kobo Glo?
Jon, do not, I repeat, do not read this post.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #427
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
With no light, the screen has a lighter background then the previous screen Amazon used. I don't think it's 25% lighter. Not from the photo the Verge took of the PW and the Touch together with the light off on the PW. The screen is still greyish. It is the light that gives the optical illusion of being white.
When the pearl screens came out with 50% better contrast, I read at the time that the number is based some sort of contrast test used by photographers. I've forgotten the details, but that's probably the case with the 25% increase, too.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #428
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yep, I'm really looking forward to seeing a high-quality side by side with the lights off as well as on.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #429
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So effective memory is down to 1.2 GB from 3GB? That means I'm already over the limit .

And no TTS means I can't listen to books on long trips without buying overpriced audio books. Also, no TTS means I can't use it as an auto page turn while I work out

I really like the frontlit improvement. The KT light is a problem shining in my eyes. But there is no way I will order this one.

ps. I know some of you will be: who needs more than a hundred books at a time. Well, that's the way I do it. It would be like someone else saying who still reads books. For me, I want my entire library on my reader.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #430
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
For me, I want my entire library on my reader.
In an ideal world I'd like this too, but due to less than stellar organization methods on most devices (at least ones from the big players) and they way they seem to bog down when your book count gets into the thousands I don't think we're quite there yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #431
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
So effective memory is down to 1.2 GB from 3GB? That means I'm already over the limit .
Where did you get that figure from?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #432
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
On-Device Storage 2 GB internal (approximately 1.25 GB available for user content). Holds up to 1,100 books
(http://www.amazon.com/paperwhite)
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #433
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A capacitive touch layer has no impact on image quality; it's a very thin chemical "paint" on the screen.
By Amazon's own picture, this touch layer is implemented on it's own physical layer on the device. This extra sheet may be visible. I agree the capacitive system seems to have a very low impact on image quality on smart phones, that said, I have never seen an iphone (or somilar...) without the touch layer, so it hard to tell. Being backlit or not could actually make a difference.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #434
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't; a friend in the US is ordering it for me.
More questions, if you don't mind... Can your friend order it to be shipped directly to you, or does it have to go them first and then be re-shipped to you? Can you tag the Kindle to your account to use as normal, or do you have to wait until it's officially available in the UK before you can register it to your account?
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #435
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
More questions, if you don't mind... Can your friend order it to be shipped directly to you, or does it have to go them first and then be re-shipped to you? Can you tag the Kindle to your account to use as normal, or do you have to wait until it's officially available in the UK before you can register it to your account?
Amazon will not ship the new Kindles outside of the US, so yes it has to first be shipped to a US address and then forwarded to you.

You can register it to your account upon receipt.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote