Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Smile A bit of a surprise

So, I finished my latest epub download from my local library tonight and started thinking "What should I read next?" And I remembered that I had a few paperbacks from the last time I indulged in a Chapters "Buy 3 get 4" sale and I should probably get around to reading them.

So I went hunting in my bookshelf, and pulled out Tad Williams' Shadowmarch.

Now, you have to understand: I've been doing a *lot* of reading the past couple of years. But ever since my wife got me a Kobo Touch for Christmas 2011 it's been almost exclusively on the Touch.

Williams does not do small books. Shadowmarch is well over 800 pages. He's a favourite author of mine, but in some ways I am not looking forward to reading this. Because of the format.

I've been completely spoiled by my e-reader. The paperback weighs more then my Touch. I certainly can't hold it in one hand. I have to do minor things like remembering to put in a bookmark (or remembering which page I'm on.)

I swear, if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd spend a couple of thousand buying epub versions of my paperbacks. I don't know if I'll ever buy a paperback again. I have no use for the format anymore.

Just came as a bit of a surprise to realize that. I hadn't thought it through before.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Yep!

It slowly happened for me, where I found that I was reading fewer and fewer print books, and some of slowness might have been because I first started reading ebooks in 2003, so a lot of the books I wanted weren't available digitally at first.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I still love the behemoths, hardcore hardcovers, I simply don't have room for them.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. I've sold my first e-reader because it wasn't a book, and because a lot of stuff wasn't yet available as an e-book in 2007.

Now, I've become used to my e-reader. I'm re-reading James Clavell's Shogun, which I also have as a hardcover. Yesterday I tried reading a chapter in the real book... and... I hated it. The book is huge, a 1000 page (edit: almost) behemoth, larger than any paperback I have, and it weighs a ton. To read for extended amounts of time in such a book, I need to put it down, or support it somehow, which I don't need to do with the Kindle.

I also have another book which I want to re-read, but of which there is no e-book available. I'm finding that I'm actively postponing this re-read, as this book is even bigger than Shogun... (I have this book twice, even: once as a gift, in a Dutch version, and once bought in English.)

The strange thing is, that, while I now prefer to read e-books, I still *like* books as objects. I can see myself selling all my paperbacks, and then buying hardcovers of books I really like to build a (modest) book case, but never reading them, as I'll have all of them as an e-book.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-17-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have to agree with you guys, i have lots of books on my keepers bookcase and as soon as I have the monies i will be purchasing them on epub versions so i can re read when i want without breaking my wrist or feeling clumsy
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What's the name of this book that's thicker than 'Shogun'?

---Really curious, since I like big, thick novels.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Musashi. By Eji Yoshikawa.

My version of Shogun is 927 pages. Musashi is 984 pages. However, the font in Musashi is smaller, and the pages are thinner. (Think Bible-like pages.) The books are about the same size and weight.

Musashi

By the way: The Shogun mini-series with Richard Chamberlain is a good translation of the book. Also, the Musashi movies (non-creative Japanese name: "Samurai I, II and III...) are good too, IF you can find all three parts, in good quality, with English subs. I was lucky on ebay, two years ago. Note: Toshiro Mifune plays a lead role in both movies series. He plays Musashi in Musashi, and Toranaga in Shogun.

Oh, I also have the hardcover version of Stephen King's IT. It's also a little bit thicker than Shogun, as is the first of Salvatore's Drizzt quadrilogies. (I have those in paperback.) My copy of LotR (hardcover) has 1401 pages. I shudder to read that again in paper

edit: And yes, the Eji Yoshikawa books, including Musashi, can easily be found as epubs, and the OCR seems to be very good. However, the layout is crap. I have all three books in hardcover, for years already. I actually read Musashi in Dutch first. It was a gift. (IN DUTCH. WACK. Where "Musashi" is spelled "Moesasji".)

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-16-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
book_goddess
Nameless Being

I know exactly what you mean. I went to a friend's house for a cuppa and saw that she had Bryce Courtenay's Jack Of Diamonds in hardcover on her bookshelf - it was a mammoth of a thing! I had read it myself on my ereader, so it surprised me to find out exactly how big it was.

Furthermore, I was reading The Eye Of The World when my ereader needed to be charged, so I picked up the paperback, which I hadn't even touched since I started using an ereader. It's only 814 pages - quite a bit smaller than the other books mentioned in this thread! - but it was such a bother to handle. I needed to use both hands, so I couldn't set it on my lap and work on something else while I read, nor could I eat while I read... and then I couldn't find a bookmark!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It only took about a month of reading on my Kindle to glance at my paperbacks in distaste! I'd been given a couple of books as a gift and hadn't gotten round to reading one of them before getting my Kindle. Even after just a few weeks of using an ereader, I found it terribly irritating having to hold the book open, or rest it on my lap to be able to turn pages with one hand.... would never go back now!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't like paperbacks, but I still love hardcovers.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
It's not just the form factor (although I won't read paper any more, unless it's a magazine on a plane - for takeoffs and landings.)

I can take my whole library with me. (To paraphrase Salvador Dali - What does RSE want to read today...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Kind of the other way round for me. I thought I'd gone off paper books, but I've been reading quite a few lately and I'm totally fine with them. Really big books are a problem, but mostly I'm kind of indifferent.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I stopped buying paper backs years ago since I had long since run out of room. When I moved in 2008, most of my books went into the trash with me just keeping a small 3 shelf book case of my favorites. I haven't re-read any of them in years. I do have some of them as ebooks, but the majority aren't but I won't read them simply because the print is simply to much of a strain for me to read.

If the copy services offered an epub instead of pdf, I might consider sending them out to be converted.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_goddess View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I went to a friend's house for a cuppa and saw that she had Bryce Courtenay's Jack Of Diamonds in hardcover on her bookshelf - it was a mammoth of a thing! I had read it myself on my ereader, so it surprised me to find out exactly how big it was.

Furthermore, I was reading The Eye Of The World when my ereader needed to be charged, so I picked up the paperback, which I hadn't even touched since I started using an ereader. It's only 814 pages - quite a bit smaller than the other books mentioned in this thread! - but it was such a bother to handle. I needed to use both hands, so I couldn't set it on my lap and work on something else while I read, nor could I eat while I read... and then I couldn't find a bookmark!
Oh yes those are very big books. I still have them on my book case and want to re-read some day to get to the new stuff but wow big books, tiny print.

Paper books do serve a useful purpose, though. I picked up two Dean Koontz books at the used book store. Cheaper than the ebooks would have been. They're in nice condition too and the print is not too small.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
What has really spoiled me is the ability to adjust the font sizes with ereaders.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote