Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #511
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palanka View Post
Now I am wondering whether there is a way to have each book that I add to calibre added to my reading list automatically. What I am doing now is to add a book to calibre and then add it to my reading list manually to have it synced the next time I connect my reader.

While this is a small thing and not really a problem I was just wondering whether I am missing something and there is some way to have the plugin do this little task for me.
Sorry for the delay and welcome to MobileRead.

No you are not missing anything, it is not currently possible to do that with this plugin. The last time I looked into this a long while ago it was not possible for a plugin to get notified about books being added to the library (only if the plugin was responsible for adding them itself, which is obviously not the case here).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #512
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Should I be able to move a book to multiple lists?
Yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a book to move to a a list and add to another. I did the move first and found I could select multiple lists in the destinations. When I press OK, it the warning "The selected book(s) do not exist on this list". Both moves were done. A bit of playing, and it displays one less warning than the number of destination lists. So, I suppose it does one move successfully, then it does the others but as the book has been moved from the original list by the first move, it gives this warning.

The obvious fix is to make the destination list only single select. But, I like being able to do multiple moves in one go. Any chance of blocking the warning in this circumstance?
I'm confused. I am not going to make it single select. Spell out for me again the exact steps in sequence and what the actual "problem" is.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #513
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Yup.

I'm confused. I am not going to make it single select. Spell out for me again the exact steps in sequence and what the actual "problem" is.
Here is what I just did:

- Selected a book that was on one list
- Clicked on the Reading list button to display the menu
- Chose "Move to list..."
- On the move dialog:
- The only list is selected in the "remove from" list box
- Selected all the other lists in the "add to" list box. This was five lists.
- Press OK
- A message box with warning "The selected book(s) do not exist on this list" came up four times.

When I checked, the book was not in the original list but it was in the five lists selected.

The messages make sense. The book is moved from the original list to the first of the "add to" lists with no problems. When doing the next move, the book is no longer in the original list, so this warning is displayed. And hence there is a warning for each move after that. So, it makes sense, but as it all happens in a single action for the user, it is messy and confusing. And I had to examine the results to see if the changes had actually happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #514
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@davidfor, ok, I understand now, thanks. I'll fix it whenever the next release of this plugin rolls around, it isn't important enough to justify a release in itself. If it really bothers you, just change line 564 of action.py so it says "display_warnings=False" rather than "display_warnings=display_warnings". The functionality is all working in the way it needs to do for moving, it is just the warning boxes that are a minor irritation.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #515
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@kiwidude: I'm happy to wait now I know what is going on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #516
paddy55
paddy55 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is it possible to send the reading list to a kindle in some format ideally mobi
paddy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #517
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@paddy55 - welcome to MobileRead.

Not directly, no. Indirectly you could do it by viewing books in a reading list on screen, select the books and then creating a catalog using that feature of calibre. You can then send that catalog to your Kindle like any other book.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #518
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Device: Elonex eb511
I've just come across this plugin and was hoping it would help me with something, but I can't see how to manage one step...

Here's what I'd like to be able to do. If I see something I'd like to read on my ereader at some later stage, say while I'm browsing on my work PC over lunchtime, I'd like to be able to send it to a dropbox folder. Then I'd have a cron job running on my home PC which would use calibredb to add any files it found in that dropbox folder to Calibre. The ideal would be that when I next connect my ereader, it automatically gets those files loaded onto it - without me having to remember what I've come across and manually intervened to flag it.

So, simply, my aim is that I can send stuff I find to dropbox from any device, and find it's automagically arrived on my Kobo Touch after I next connect it to Calibre.

The calibredb CLI will allow me to add books, and to add tags. But the Reading list plugin (I gather from previous posts in this thread - unless I've missed a followup) can't pick up newly added books, or automatically add books with a specific tag to a list.

Is there (a) any way of getting calibredb (via the CLI) to add metadata to the book which will mean that the plugin regards the book as part of a reading list or (b) any other clever way of automating the stuff added by this method to the Calibre library automatically into a reading list?
daldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #519
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Daldred, it sounds like what you want is Calibre2opds
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #520
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Beta for v1.6.0

A number of people have mentioned wanting to be able to automatically populate a list based on a tag or custom column value. You might for instance have calibre set to automatically add a tag for newly added books. This feature will allow having a list where such books get automatically placed on a list, and if set to autosync will be placed on your device the next time it is connected. I'm sure there are other uses people will come up with (e.g. wanting to have a Science Fiction list based on a tag, or having an unread list based on a Yes/No column or whatever).

There is a new section on the configuration screen where you define how your list will be populated:
  • Manually add/remove items
  • Auto populated from books on device
  • Auto populated from column

Manually add/remove items is the same as the default existing behaviour, where it is up to you to add/edit or remove items from the list and change their order.

Auto populated from books on device is the new version of what was previously a sync option. The behaviour is the same as previous. Use this if you want a tag or custom column to automatically be updated based on whether a book is on the device. Such automatic lists cannot be manually edited or have their order changed.

Auto populated from column is the new option, and has a suboption available of specifying the column it should check, and the value that the column must have in order to put it on the list. As with the auto device list you cannot manually add/remove from the list other than by actually changing the tag/custom column value it is looking for.

An automatic column based list is dynamically constructed when either you sync to a device, or you choose the View List menu option. So note that the count of items on the list shown on the View List menu is going to be incorrect until you actually do one of those two activities.

Finally I have also added a little quirk to the behaviour if you set the "Clear this list after a sync" option. It didn't make sense to me to just generally allow the user to set/remove some additional custom column/tag based on a book being added or removed from such an automatic list. However I did want to support a scenario where someone puts an "AddToDevice" or whatever tag for their new books, setup a list based on this tag, set the list to automatically clear after sync, thereby also removing the "AddToDevice" tag from those books so the list is now empty and won't get those books put on the list again. Most won't use it but it is there if someone wants to do things that way.

Please let me know what you think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList.png
Views:	276
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	96551  

Last edited by kiwidude; 11-23-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Removed attachment as officially released
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #521
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.6.0 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add ability to automatically create lists based on tags or custom column values
  • When moving books between lists, turn off warnings to prevent multiple errors being displayed
  • If default list is set to an automatically populated list, do not allow the add/edit/clear actions for default list
Old 11-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #522
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Daldred, it sounds like what you want is Calibre2opds
Hi

Sorry, if I'm missing something, but I can't see how I could use that to do what I need.

As I read it, using Calibre2odps would require that the books have been imported into Calibre to begin with, rather than picking up stuff dropped into a Dropbox folder; and I can't see how this would enable Calibre to add the files automatically to the reader when next plugged in.

But I may well be missing the bits I need....
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #523
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@daldred - This latest 1.6.0 release now has the ability to automatically add to a list based on a tag, combine that with a list set to autosync and it should do what you want.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #524
daldred
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@daldred - This latest 1.6.0 release now has the ability to automatically add to a list based on a tag, combine that with a list set to autosync and it should do what you want.
Excellent ! Thankyou.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #525
hd_cal_dave
hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hd_cal_dave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android
Hello -- thanks for this awesome plugin. I had a question however.

I'm interested in browsing my lists from my Android opds client (Aldiko) so I can pick and choose which books to download.

I think that currently this isn't possible, but I did notice that opds client's can access and run saved searches and/or tags (which I do all the time).

Do you think we could add a feature to this plugin to automatically maintain saved searches with the same name as the list, and thus support opds clients?

Alternatively, do you think maybe the plugin can automatically maintain a tag for opds clients?

Thanks!
hd_cal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote