Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Capabilities of Kindle app for iPad

I'm not quite sure whether this belongs here or in the iPad forum, so please move if appropriate.

Is there a list anywhere showing what HTML/CSS the Kindle app for iPad can cope with?

The background to this question is that I've just done an ebook of poetry containing a poem with a long verse whose lines are gradually indented from the left margin - a little more each line. I've managed this by setting the left margin in 0.5em steps. It works well in ePub on my Sony and iPad/iBooks, and in an az3w ebook converted from the ePub on my upgraded Kindle3. But when I test it with the Kindle for iPad app the increases in the indent only work for whole ems so the gradual line indentation is jerky.

I can't upload the example since it's a commercial book under copyright.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Unfortunately, Kindle for iPad is a huge mess.

I experience the same problems you mentioned (problems with padding, margin, and text-indent), and I reached the following conclusion: for my mental sanity, I give up trying to have the text look ok on Kindle for iPad, as long as it looks fine on the "real" Kindle's.

(My suspect is that they do not want to have a "full-fledge" Kindle app on iOS, for "obvious" (many quotes here) commercial reasons.)
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Alpe, that's most helpful. It confirms what I thought, and I think I'll follow your example. Life's too short to fret about getting it right for every possible ereader and app.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote