Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
craigg
craigg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle emulator or somesuch?

Hi, I'm considering getting a e-reader soon and I'm wanting to get a idea of how various PDFs will look on them before I take the plunge (I read a lot of academic papers, this is mainly what I want one for).
I've downloaded the amazon kindle for pc thing though that seems to be just to view books from their store, I can't figure out anyway to put a pdf on it.

Does anyone know of any kindle emulator or somesuch for me to use?
craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle 4 app won't give you a good idea as to what a PDF will look like on the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigg View Post
Hi, I'm considering getting a e-reader soon and I'm wanting to get a idea of how various PDFs will look on them before I take the plunge (I read a lot of academic papers, this is mainly what I want one for).
I've downloaded the amazon kindle for pc thing though that seems to be just to view books from their store, I can't figure out anyway to put a pdf on it.

Kindle apps don't view PDFs, nor do they replicate the Kindle experience. They just allow you to read Kindle Store purchases on other devices.

You could just order a Kindle and see for yourself. If it doesn't meet your requirements, you can return within 30 days and pay only shipping.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigg View Post

I don't believe you'll find one.

Amazon offers two software solutions for viewing AZW & MOBI ebooks, but nothing to simulate the Kindle's PDF experience.

The Amazon "Kindle 4 PC", other Kindle 4 ... viewers, are meant for reading and not to preview the Kindle hardware experience. The "Amazon Kindle Previewer" ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621 , scroll down a bit) is designed to replicate the Kindle experience (K2 & DX at this time) for viewing AZW & MOBI format books, making it a good previewer for book developers, but doesn't include an emulator of either the PDF viewer or the K3's web browser.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote