Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
voy78
voy78 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: N/A
Question Synchronizing between e-reader and an android phone

I want to buy my first e-reader, and like few other users I'm between sony 650 and kindle 3, but I think I finally decided what will be the most important feature to me. I want to be able to read the same book on both dedicated reader, and my android phone.

I'm able to live with manual uploading of the book to both devices, but I need to keep track of reading progress somehow.

I tried few readers on the droid already (aldiko, wordplayer, kindle) and I noticed that there's no consistent way of keeping track on what page of the book I'm at the moment. Depending on the font and screen size, number of pages changes.

Kindle whisper-net would be best, but it only works with book purchased at amazon right?

Is there some easy way of getting absolute location in the book that would be consistent between either kindle / sony and a reader in the droid?

Side question. How does drm work in Borders / Sony bookstore? Is the book locked to just one device when purchased / first opened, or can I upload it to multiple devices without striping the drm?

I know that whisper-net for strictly amazon books is perfect here, but how is this done on sony readers?

Thanks for help,
Voytek

Last edited by voy78; 09-11-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Formating
voy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
How does drm work in Borders / Sony bookstore? Is the book locked to just one device when purchased / first opened, or can I upload it to multiple devices without striping the drm?
I don't know about B&N DRM.

The sony one, the adobe adept. You a authentifiy a number of device (5??), that will be able to read the files. But I don't think there is an android software for these yet.

I'm not sure if wishpernet keeps position.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
voy78

So lets say I buy / read books on the droid using kobo app. Can I transfer that book to sony reader just by switching the memory card (through adapter) to sony?

Would I need to register my (still future) sony reader in that app / kobo store first?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Installed to kobo app.
The answer is no. the kobo app axxtually explode the ePub, so you need to re-zip. and de-drm, ADE wouldn't display it. I have no clue on what their DRM is.

Unless you're willing to lock yourself to only one e-book provider (sony reader sony app, kobo reader, kobo app...), no dice. Sony said they will publish an android app by the way.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
voy78

Aha! Apparently you can use adobe digital editions to transfer books from kobo to sony reader.

But this is so annoying... On the phone I guess I need app from particular bookstore to read books purchased from it... So if I'm using 5 different bookstores I need either 5 different apps, or just strip drm and be done with it... It would be so much better if I could use just one reader up, no matter which bookstore I'm buying from...

On the sony side, it seams like I need third party software to transfer... and I need computer to do it. It would be nice if I could connect droid and sony with usb, if I'm traveling or something...

I liked the idea of buying sony, because it uses open format, but there's really nothing open about it... It so much easier to just go with amazon, which has both good reader, and at lease decent phone app...

Is it just me, or are those bookstores trying to catch up with amazon, doing really bad job?
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
On the sony side, it seams like I need third party software to transfer... and I need computer to do it.
No, you can copy past. You need the sony reader app, or ADE to download. But you would need the computer, yes.

All the shop in france, shops are all adept ePub. in the US, it seams you can hardly find two shops using the same format and DRM.

Would would you want to read on you phone ? if you get a kindle, or a sony reader , woudn't these be better to read ?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
voy78

Yeah sure sony is a much better reader and I will use more often then the phone, but I don't think I will cary it around with me everywhere. I could use the phone when I get stuck somewhe, or during lunch at work.
So... do youthink it will be possible to transfer between phone and reader usind sd card when sony releases an app for the android system?
So in case of sony reader I only need ade for stores other than sony?

I'm wondering how I would put books on the reader if traveling and don't have laptop with me...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
voy78

Decided to go with the sony 650 reader mainly because of the epub standard. Thanks for your help EowynCarter and sorry for all the stupid questions
Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. And you need sony's app for the sony store.

If the sony app works the way other app does, you will be able to download and the read the book you bought on the sony store. But not "importing" other ePub.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by voy78 View Post
Yeah sure sony is a much better reader and I will use more often then the phone, but I don't think I will cary it around with me everywhere. I could use the phone when I get stuck somewhe, or during lunch at work.
So... do youthink it will be possible to transfer between phone and reader usind sd card when sony releases an app for the android system?

I'm wondering how I would put books on the reader if traveling and don't have laptop with me...
Why only consider the Sony? It's rather big and heavy, there are other readers that can read epub and are much more portable. I carry my Opus in my handbag every day, and I have read comments here from people who carry it in their pocket. The PocketBook 360 is almost as small and has the same screen size. I don't know about the Kindle, never saw one.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
voy78

I was considering only new sony and kindle, because of the new screen. I'll be buying the sony locally, so I'll compare 350 and 650 in the store. I have a feeling that 650 will win because of the bigger screen though (unless it's really uncomfortable to hold).

I don't plan to carry it around with me all the time. I mostly read at home, and I plan to have the books uploaded to my android phone just in case I get an urge to read, or get stuck waiting for a mile long train to pass, or something.

Tags
android, kindle 3, sony 650