Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
The Official Motion for Introduction of the Epub Dictionary Format

Dear MobileReaders,

the EPUB industry standard ebook format is on the verge of becoming the predominant format for electronic publishing. This is a turn for the better, because it could resolve the chaotic situation with the myriad of ebook formats out there and make things easier for the publishers and the liseuse manufacturers, and of course for readers.

It has it's shortcomings, though, one of which is the lack of dictionary support.

Admirable initiative addressing this issue has come from Nate the Great, who started work on the tag specification in this -> thread.

In a different thread I proposed that some official body, it would be best if it was IDPF, should prepare the specification for epub dictionary format and then forward it to the publishers and liseuse manufacturers. We as users can put things in motion. My idea was that we, MR members, roundup our suggestions concerning the epub dictionary format and explicitly state our wish for it to be brought into existence. Kind of a petition, if you like. That's what this thread is for. When we come to a general consensus on the matter, we will forward our ideas to IDPF , who is in a position to act on them.

Please, any ideas, comments, wishes and suggestions on your side are most welcome.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent idea, abelturd ! thank you for doing this. dictionary support is important to a lot of people and it's also a key feature for educational uses, so it seems vital that ipdf should implement the feature as soon as possible.

i would really like to see it happen too for my own use, and i'd like to see it as a standard feature on all liseuses with epub support, including the possibility to use several dictionaries (including different languages and bilingual dictionaries) and get results from all of them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I too want ePUB dictionaries to be a reality, and be easy to use and produce. Now, as for having real suggestions about what the format should be... that's a different story
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I too want ePUB dictionaries to be a reality, and be easy to use and produce. Now, as for having real suggestions about what the format should be... that's a different story
i think nate's thread has made really good progress on that front.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think nate's thread has made really good progress on that front.
Exactly, this thread's task is by no means to duplicate Nate's thread, the scope of which is the technical aspect of things.
The main idea of this thread is that as many people as possible express their support for the epub dictionary format. And perhaps give their reasons why they would find it useful and to what use they would put it.

Last edited by Abelturd; 07-21-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
The main idea of this thread is that as many people as possible express their support for the epub dictionary format.
I for one fully support this drive for an EPUB dictionary format. We definitely need one.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I for one fully support this drive for an EPUB dictionary format. We definitely need one.
Me too. And software that will use it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
As an educator, I can see a great benefit to having Epub dictionary support at all academic levels.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I've said all along that dictionary support is one of the major deficiencies of epub. Come on IDPF, you have some work to do.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I've said all along that dictionary support is one of the major deficiencies of epub. Come on IDPF, you have some work to do.
Well, if MobiPocket dictionaries that people want to use were DRM free then it would be very easy to use them. So you can also say that it is DRM that causes the problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, if MobiPocket dictionaries that people want to use were DRM free then it would be very easy to use them. So you can also say that it is DRM that causes the problem.
Not quite. An epub reader can't use mobi dictionaries, with or without DRM. There will have to be a new dictionary type defined for epub.

Now, the idea of a multi-format reader that could open an epub ebook and lookup words with a mobi dictionary has occured to me before, but no one has implemented that to my knowledge. It would be a good interim measure and would immediately give that particular device access to the wide variety of mobi dictionaries.

Hey manufacturers - here is a free idea for you. Come on, someone implement it.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray
Now, the idea of a multi-format reader that could open an epub ebook and lookup words with a mobi dictionary has occured to me before, but no one has implemented that to my knowledge. It would be a good interim measure and would immediately give that particular device access to the wide variety of mobi dictionaries.
There seems to be a problem with licensing, see Bookeen's case. They're going to maintain two firmware versions, because the license doesn't allow them to fit the mobi and the epub support into a single firmware. So mobi is definitely not a good interim solution. I would rather propose open XDXF format as an interim solution until a proper epub dictionary format with drm support is introduced.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Me too. And software that will use it.
I'll third that motion - and I haven't even got an ePub ebook reader yet.

Once we've expressed our support for the idea, what next?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

If enough people do it, so that we can show IDPF and manufacturers that there's actual need for epub dictionaries, we can ask Hadrien, who's from IDPF, to bring it forward to IDPF or we can contact IDPF directly via email or even snail-mail to give it more credibility, with link to this thread. But if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
MobileRead has become authority in the world of epublishing. Its chances to incite change are a lot greater than chances of an individual.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
including the possibility to use several dictionaries (including different languages and bilingual dictionaries) and get results from all of them.
I second this, Zelda.
Being able to use several dictionaries is a very interesting feature, for all the people reading or learning to read in more than one language, for academic research, for technical books, ...

I would like to add that we would need to be able to know which dictionary gave which result (for instance, which result comes from my english dictionary and which from my english-french one ?), but this is more a software interface probem I think.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, epub, formats, standards