Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
perkin5
perkin5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cover in TOC

Despite creating a cover in the correct way, it doesn't show up in the TOC. So I added this code to the cover file:
Code:
<h1 style="display:none;">Cover</h1>
and then the TOC generator picked it up. However, when I validate the book I get errors telling me it is not in the spine or manifest.
Why is that?
perkin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkin5 View Post
Despite creating a cover in the correct way
Forgive me, but it might be handy to know exactly which correct way you've chosen to use.

Also, did you right-click the cover page in Sigil's book-browser and set the "Cover" semantic item?

None of that really explains why the added cover page file wouldn't be included in the package manifest, but we need to start somewhere.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
perkin5

OK, I went to Tools->Add cover, selected an image in the dialogue box and Sigil then created a cover page called cover.xhtml which indeed has the 'Cover' semantic item by default. But the TOC generator only seems to pick up h tags and the cover page has none by default.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the TOC generator only seems to pick up h tags and the cover page has none by default.
Yes, that's to be expected. Your approach (if you want the cover page included in the TOC) to add the display:none styling should work as you expect.

What doesn't make any sense is why the validator (I'm assuming you're using the built-in Flightcrew validation) doesn't think the cover page is in the manifest and/or spine.

When I use the same procedure, the newly created cover page is indeed added to the epub's manifest, the spine, and to the guide section of the OPF file. I don't get those errors in Flightcrew.

What version of Sigil are you using (and are you indeed using the built-in validator when getting those errors)?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
If you wanted to add the cover page to the HTML TOC that is generated (or getting it to show up in the NCX version of the TOC), it would probably be better to add the cover manually using Tools - Table of Contents - Edit Table of Contents:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/..._contents.html

You can do something similar to also add the copyright page, and any other Front Matter of the book as well (Dedication, Frontispiece, etc. etc.), without having to clutter them with <h1>, <h2>, <h3>, ...
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
perkin5

Well I'm blowed! I'm using version 0.7.4 and I am using Flightcrew but I just ran it again and the error disappeared. Don't think I changed anything...

Perhaps it knew experts were watching!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps it knew experts were watching!
Wouldn't be the first time.

Tags
cover, sigil, toc