Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
At the risk of sounding like an old record which doesn't know how to move on, I would strongly recommend the Wool series by Hugh Howey. There is a thread about this book here on MR (don't read too far if you want to keep surprises).

Indie author, DRM free ebooks, loads of praise. Enough said
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'd recommend the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. You can get the first 2 books in the series free for your Kindle.

On Basilisk Station

The Honor of the Queen
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Another vote for Iain M Banks - other sci-fi seems tawdry by comparison once you've read his stuff. I was very sad when he passed away earlier this year.

I'm a big fan of Dan Abnett's sci-fi output, specifically the stuff he's written for the Black Library set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, much of which is military sf. He does great action, memorable characters and epic scale battles.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Classics -- anything by Keith Laumer (for Space opera try Earthblood; for humor try The Great Time Machine Hoax, included in the Baen anthology Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side -- also his Bolo books, his Retief books, etc.)

For something new, you might be interested in Resonance, by Chris Dolley. Pay no attention to the Baen cover.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. Although it is still not available as an eBook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. Although it is still not available as an eBook.
Apache
I keep hoping....damn family squabbles anyway!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Me too. My paper copy is showing it's age.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Many very good suggestions already.

Try Michael Z. Williamson, Freehold. Part of the Freehold Grainne War series. Great space opera and a desperate fight for independence against earth.

Charles Stross, Accelerando is a book I liked a lot. Makes the also great cyberpunk books by William Gibson seem pedestrian and without scope. :X

S. M. Stirling, Island in the Sea of Time is a great start of The Change series. The start is better than the finish though. Accidental time travel/apocalypse well done.

L. E. Modesitt Jr. Of Tangible Ghosts is a great alternative history book, with a nice steam punk feel, as well as some ghosts, spying and a little romance. Follow up with The Ghost of the Revelator and Ghost of the White Nights.

I can also highly recommend the Ecolitan books by Modesitt.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Another great Sci Fi book is Armor by John Steakley.
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Ste...Steakley+Armor
Apache
Seconded. Unfortunately, not available as an ebook as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Timothy Zahn writes excellent sci-fi adventure. The Icarus Hunt is a great place to start, but I like almost all of his books. So far the only ones that were kind of disappointing were his Cobra series.
I just today finished his Quadrail series and it's now one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
For something new, you might be interested in Resonance, by Chris Dolley. Pay no attention to the Baen cover.
Again, seconded. There's a Smashwords edition for $2.99, and it's coupon-able at Kobo.

A few more suggestions:

Mother of Demons by Eric Flint, available for free at The Fifth Imperium. The Baen CDs are in really worth looking through. Though the bulk are military SF (not really my thing), there is still a smattering of really worthwhile SF and fantasy. If you end up liking mil-SF, though, the CDs are the jackpot (several hundred books, I think).

Jack Chalker's Four Lords of the Diamond series (1, 2, 3, 4) is one that I have in paper and ebook and re-read often.

My favorite SF author is probably Alan Dean Foster. The Flinx and Pip series is excellent and I've enjoyed everything else of his that I've read. Unfortunately, many of his standalone novels are out-of-print and not available in ebook.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you liked Blade Runner movie, since you say you like sci-fi movies, I recommend you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, which is a book movie is loosely based upon.
Also I can recommend Starship Troopers and Time Machine. (books not movies )
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Charles Stross, Accelerando is a book I liked a lot. Makes the also great cyberpunk books by William Gibson seem pedestrian and without scope. :X
+1 for Accelerando (also because my favourite watering hole, 'In de Wildeman' in Amsterdam, is in it )
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
gutlessmerc
gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gutlessmerc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Thank you so much for all the responses. I promise to read all the books recommended eventually.
gutlessmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Of all the recommendations, the one I don't see is for the Liaden Universe series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Not "hard sf", but certainly space opera, and the one series I keep going back to time and again, and that never disappoints. Start with Agent of Change (free) or Balance of Trade.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The Wind Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

No rocket ships, no laser guns, or hot babes in armored corsets and shaved heads. In spite of all that, I'm comfortable in predicting that you will be surprised.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #30
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These are not classics, they are more modern - great reads all.

Sean McMullen- Souls in the Great Machine (greatwinter kills all technology, and a great idea about "the call" that compels people to blindly walk west if not tethered.

William C. Dietz- Legion of the Damned- like the French foreign legion in outer space, with cyborgs and aliens all in the same fighting force- great series

Kage Baker- starting with In the Garden of Iden- The Company can time travel and finds children to turn into cyborgs to go back in time to save endangered plants, art, etc. We meet a child (Mendoza) saved from the inquisition, turned into a botanist, who has a little glitch that keeps her from toeing the Company line. Fantastic series (about 12 books in all, better and better as they go).

Richard K. Morgan- Thirteen

Hope you find something you like.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote