Returned it. Switched to a different "glowing" reader. 3 2.65%
Buggy but hoping for bug fixes. Keeping it. 17 15.04%
Love it. Would never go back to a non "glowing" models. 90 79.65%
Returned it and went back to my non "glowing" reader. 3 2.65%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
What do you mean the Glo is everything the Touch is and then some?

It's only a higher resolution (and, therefore, better looking fonts), faster processor (which leads to much faster page-turns), and integrated lighting when you need it. Borderline irrelevant for an e-reader, no? :P

Love my Glo, use it every night. Worth the upgrade for the better-detailed fonts and faster page-turns alone, even if you don't need the front-lighting, if you ask me.
Precisely!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #17
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I don't see an option for my answer, which is "Exchanged faulty Glo for the same model and LOVE IT." I still also love my Sony PRS-T1, and if Sony came out with a lighted reader I would get one in a heartbeat, but the Glo is fun to use and the light is incredibly even across the screen, considering the issues some are having with other readers.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I voted for the second option.
I love the Glo but detest all the wasted space at the bottom of the screen. This is sometimes negligible and sometimes seems to be 3 or 4 empty lines. It irritates me and detracts from my reading. This surely could be an easy fix so why don't they cure it.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I have noticed that on occasion as well. I thought it was something to do with the way I was converting my files in Calibre, but maybe not!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Very happy with my Kobo Glo. My Kindle Keyboard is just gathering dust these days.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I've been very happy with my Kobo Glo and I've not had any issue with it.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I voted for the second option.
I love the Glo but detest all the wasted space at the bottom of the screen. This is sometimes negligible and sometimes seems to be 3 or 4 empty lines. It irritates me and detracts from my reading. This surely could be an easy fix so why don't they cure it.
It doesn't bother me that much, but sometimes I definitely feel the same way. I'd love to see an option to switch to a narrow header with the page number at the top right. That way, it could also provide an actual hit target for bookmarking a page.

I find the space at the bottom doesn't bother me as much with the clear footer than the black one. Go figure.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thumbs up

I voted love it (have had mine just under 5 weeks), and have had no problems at all with it (checked the screen in the shot before handing over my money), and to back that up, have now bought 2 more, one for my daughter and one for my wife, both as christmas pressies (checked the screens in the shop for those, also).

The bug I'd really like to see fixed, is when a dodgy file is sideloaded, it causes the Glo to hang at the importing screen, and there is no way out of it (other than a full factory reset). The other thing I'd like to see, is a progress display at the bottom of the screen (or even as a pop-up menu like the screen config menus), and finally, a goto page feature.

Other than that, I'm loving it.

Matt
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The inconsistent amount of space at the bottom of pages that others have mentioned is the only thing I don't like about my new Glo, hopefully there will be a fix for that.

Otherwise great: the screen is beautifully sharp and white. The light distribution is almost perfect, and not too bright (one notch above minimum for reading in total darkness seems ideal for me). No working Linux desktop software, but didn't need it as setup/update via wifi went without a hitch.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
chris_gee
chris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Bought a glo three days ago as a replacement for a sony pocket edition which developed screen problems after 18 months.
It is a little bigger but much better to read. I would have said I loved it as I bought another for a friend yesterday.
However I went with the bugs option. Two things I am sure of having used ADE to put on some library books. Any existing page number appears in the right hand margin masking 2-3 letters. Secondly some words or lines at the bottom appear to be dropped making one suspect that two pages have been turned as the words don't follow on. This isn't so rather some words are dropped. This is irritating.
I suspect there are other software issues but until I get more used to the UI have not confirmed them.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I LOVE MY GLO ! Just realized something else about it wonderful. It's quite small, the smallest of the big names in 6" ereaders.. My first ereader ever was a Jetbook. I loved it's smaller size, ease to hold in one hand. Unfortunately, it's screen was way too dark for my aging eyes and I had to get a Kindle which was the pearl ink, easy to read on, but was much bigger and awkard to hold . This little GLO is just about the same as my old Jetbook, Usin't its pouch now) and not much bigger than the mini. Thanks guys, I think I know what my daughter is getting for Christmas.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Chris_Gee: Check Settings | Reading Settings; head to the 2nd page of options and ensure that "Show page numbers in the margin" is NOT selected.

If you're already in a book, head back to the home screen and reopen the book for the option to take effect.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
chris_gee
chris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura aboutchris_gee has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Peter. I tried that the problem being that while it shows page 1 of 2 I am unable to get it to turn the page to access this. It was the same on the introductory user guide. In books the pages turn ok.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In the settings you can only change pages by selecting the arrows at the bottom of the screen; not by touching the sides of the screen...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #30
chris_gee

Got it thanks. The right facing arrow doesn't work only the left one and that erratically.