Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Rich_H
Rich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
Kindle newbie needs "template" HTML & CSS

Hi folks,

I'm an old multimedia programmer who is crashing into digital printing and ePUB. Can anyone point me at a simple template of a valid Kindle file in HTML & CSS? (I.e., before it gets rolled into MOBI format.) Whenever I work in a new area, I find having a sample of related code to be a huge help. HTML and CSS aren't exactly new to me, but their application to Kindle is.

I have Kindle's HTML Formatting Guidelines and Custom HTML Tags documents at hand, but they leave a lot to the the imagination. For instance, Guidelines says "normal" text must use the default font family, but it does not say what that font family is. Or even if it needs to be defined. With a valid HTML- and CSS-for-Kindle file around, I could just glance at the code and say "Aha! That's what they mean," instead of thrashing around.

Don't need anything esoteric. I'm just trying to get an historical fiction into Kindle from InDesign CS5. There are a couple of illustrations in the front of the book.

TIA

Richard Hurley
Grass Valley Multimedia
Rich_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You might get better replies using the workshop forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Rich_H
Rich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animalsRich_H is kind to children and small, furry animals

Will do. I had a feeling I had dived into the nerd cave, but this site's a bit puzzling in the navigation department.

thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Rich_H: The Mobi forum might also help .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_H View Post
Will do. I had a feeling I had dived into the nerd cave, but this site's a bit puzzling in the navigation department.

thanks!
People usually do not use terms that polite to describe the members in this forum.
And the things we call each other here sometimes . . .
Oops - Off Topic - Sorry

Yup, site has been around a long time, and it can be a bit like: "Hunt the Wampus" for a new member.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Rich_H

Thanks, knc1. As a guest, I thought I should tread lightly.

Just found a parallel post in the Workshop that has a link to a sample, incidentally.

I'll be back here if I stop washing and begin to dream in XML.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
for the record I wash everyday. And I have never dreamed in xml

</dream>

EDIT: Welll... not with a truly valid DTD anyways

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2012 at 07:06 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Rich_H

Sad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
for the record I wash everyday. And I have never dreamed in xml

</dream>

EDIT: Welll... not with a truly valid DTD anyways
/* Well, there goes the programer mystique... Next you'll be telling me you have a social life! Sad and degenerate days. */
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have heard of this "Social" word... but this other concept "Life"?

Does Not Compute {ʇlnɐɟ uoıʇɐʇuǝɯƃǝs}
║▌║█║▌║▌█║▌║▌║█║▌║▌║█║▌║▌│║▌║║▌║█║
▌║▌║▌║█║▌│║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║││║▌║││║▌║││▌││║││││││ │ │ │
>

>>

Bios Failure... Reflashing.......[ * Core * ] ....... [ Personality grafted ] ......

We have Social Life!!!

♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

; )

By the way, it happened just like that 38 years ago today... shhh...

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: it's my bd - sshhhhh....
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The problem with crossposting a new thread (this one) to two forums is that the replies are distributed between them:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190431

EDIT: Ahh... I see. knc1 recommended the other forum in post #2 above.

It would have perhaps been better to request the thread be moved there instead of starting another one. You can do that with the "Report Post" button (looks like a bold exclamation mark to the left of the post).

At least the link above lets you follow both halves of this thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
twobob

*does smily face*

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: turned that frown upside down
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Rich_H

social life explained

Looks like you're ready to party, twobob. For those still uncertain as to this concept of social life:

global myGender, myBankAccount

on meetPerson (gender, wealth)
if gender not myGender then
if checkWealth(wealth) > myBankAccount then
proposeMarriage
socialLife = 1
else
returnToKeyboard
drinkBeers (myBankAccount - checkWealth(wealth))
socialLife = 0
end if
haveBeersAnyway
end

(In case you're wondering, it's Lingo, the old Macromedia Director scripting language. Wonderful for writing code to direct your life.)

Last edited by Rich_H; 09-10-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: forgot indents
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_H View Post
Looks like you're ready to party, twobob. For those still uncertain as to this concept of social life:

global myGender, myBankAccount

on meetPerson (gender, wealth)
if gender not myGender then
if checkWealth(wealth) > myBankAccount then
proposeMarriage
socialLife = 1
else
returnToKeyboard
drinkBeers (myBankAccount - checkWealth(wealth))
socialLife = 0
end if
haveBeersAnyway
end

(In case you're wondering, it's Lingo, the old Macromedia Director scripting language. Wonderful for writing code to direct your life.)
void main(void) { while (true) drinkbeer(); }

What's gender or bank account got to do with it? Drink your buddy's beer.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 11:24 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, html, kindle