Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #106
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not necessarily. Especially if they're moving to a system (as it seems they are) that transparently delivers the proper format to the proper device/app. The DRM scheme has already changed since the K1 came out, but you can still get brand new books delivered to those K1's with the old DRM that's based on a device PID. I don't see much difference between that and K4PC version 1.0-beta still chugging along. They haven't had any trouble maintaining and preparing for backward-compatibility yet, so I see no need for them to suddenly start. The new features alone are often enough reason to get people to upgrade all on their own... so there's really no reason to force those upgrades with a heavy-handed approach.
Interesting.

It's quite unusual for a vertically integrated platform like Kindle to not feature "forced" updates at some point.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Interesting.

It's quite unusual for a vertically integrated platform like Kindle to not feature "forced" updates at some point.
People got burnt the first time Amazon got into the ebook business (pre-Kindle, pre-mobi) with purchases that were basically rendered worthless. It seems they learned a valuable lesson and are definitely doing everything they can to accommodate the very first Kindle as well as the very latest. It's not really that surprising since they're far more interested in selling you a lifetime's worth of content than they are in selling you a handful of new devices. Anything that might interrupt/change or otherwise f**k with a customer's use of their content is just bad business.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #108
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh. I suppose it was too much to expect that Amazon would have the self confidence to believe that they could standardize on EPUB and still maintain market dominance.

On the bright side, at least they're doing their damndest to keep the conversion parts of calibre relevant
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #109
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
One thing worth noting is that since they're using their own format, they don't have to wait around for the IDPF etc to finalize an ePub standard, and can basically set it up any way they want.

ePub 3.0 has been in the works since April 2010. I'm curious as to how long it took Amazon to crank out K8.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #110
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I hope they will not get rid of the index/dictionary features of Mobi. I have also been asking them for TTS controlling tags (on, off, pauses, etc) inside the text. Otherwise, better formatting and new features are welcome.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #111
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I must say, I have really enjoyed all the comments posted here. Great insightful commentary and respectful subjective opinions and counterpoint.

All I really have to add is this:

Quote:
I really don't have anything to add. I gave up on the Kindle after the first gen.

That does not mean I am slighting the Kindle, it is a fine collection of devices for reading books, comics, pamphlets and mock turtle soup recipes. Kindle owners should be proud of making a wise and informed buying decision.

It just doesn't work for me. I prefer a more open format.
Cheers

Donnageddon

Wow, it really does sound wierd singing off with "cheers" if you are not from the UK! I won't do it again.

Sorry.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh. I suppose it was too much to expect that Amazon would have the self confidence to believe that they could standardize on EPUB and still maintain market dominance.

yes. Damn!

Actually this could be a good thing if it gets us away from that horrible PDF format and Topaz....

Last edited by kennyc; 10-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
ooh, something new to argue about. refreshing.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #114
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
The updates are free, so there's no reason for the user to not upgrade (outside of cracking the DRM) - not exactly something Amazon would want to enable.
It's possible for the user to end up in a situation where they can't upgrade - if Amazon makes a smartphone app that requires a newer version of the OS, but their device can't be updated.

On PC/Mac, that holds; phones, not so much I'm afraid.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #115
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Being a suspicious type, my mind wanders to the recent 'personal document' changes. Do you suppose that we might have to pay Amazon to have our un-drm'd books from other sources converted to K8 format?

Personal documents (i.e. un-drm's books that folks are sending to their Kindles) have got to be a huge number flowing through Amazon's servers.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #116
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Being a suspicious type, my mind wanders to the recent 'personal document' changes. Do you suppose that we might have to pay Amazon to have our un-drm'd books from other sources converted to K8 format?
If nothing else, you should be able to use KindleGen 2 to do it for free...
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #117
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
It's possible for the user to end up in a situation where they can't upgrade - if Amazon makes a smartphone app that requires a newer version of the OS, but their device can't be updated.

On PC/Mac, that holds; phones, not so much I'm afraid.
Oh of course that's possible, but I don't see it happening for a while.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #118
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Oh of course that's possible, but I don't see it happening for a while.
I think it'll happen quicker than you expect - Microsoft already did that for about a month with Windows Phone 7 (if you released an app with Windows Phone 7.1 features, you couldn't release new versions that supported Windows Phone 7.0), and only changed that earlier this week.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #119
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I think it'll happen quicker than you expect - Microsoft already did that for about a month with Windows Phone 7 (if you released an app with Windows Phone 7.1 features, you couldn't release new versions that supported Windows Phone 7.0), and only changed that earlier this week.
That's Microsoft. They're still a tiny player in the Mobile market and they don't have the resources to support older versions.

iOS and Android don't work the same way.

The Kindle App works on iOS 3, 4 and 5 - that works on every iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

iOS 3 was discontinued nearly 18 months ago. Windows Phone 7.0 wasn't even out then!

The Android version works on Android 2.1+

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's Microsoft. They're still a tiny player in the Mobile market and they don't have the resources to support older versions.

iOS and Android don't work the same way.

The Kindle App works on iOS 3, 4 and 5 - that works on every iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

iOS 3 was discontinued nearly 18 months ago. Windows Phone 7.0 wasn't even out then!

The Android version works on Android 2.1+
Stanza no longer works on iOS 5. I can see a lot of apps no longer working on iOS 3. That's not unrealistic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote