Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
rosy621
rosy621 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Angry Nook STR stuck on "Rooted Forever" screen

I tried to root my Nook STR. I messed up the step on copying over the uRamdisk_rooted file. I thought I was reformatting the microSD... but I formatted the Nook. (I'm stupid. I know. I can't explain it except to say I was not paying attention. Feel free to expound on my stupidity.)

I flashed clockwork recovery onto the microSD card and put the appropriate firmware in a zip file on the microSD, as I have read one is supposed to do. Well, I press and hold the power butt so the Nook reboots and... nothing. It stays at the Rooted Forever screen. If I take out the SD and hold down the power button and in about 5 seconds the screen flashes, goes blank, then comes right back up to Rooted Forever.

Any ideas? Did I permanently brick the thing? TIA!

Rosy
rosy621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosy621 View Post
I tried to root my Nook STR. I messed up the step on copying over the uRamdisk_rooted file. I thought I was reformatting the microSD... but I formatted the Nook. (I'm stupid. I know. I can't explain it except to say I was not paying attention. Feel free to expound on my stupidity.)

I flashed clockwork recovery onto the microSD card and put the appropriate firmware in a zip file on the microSD, as I have read one is supposed to do. Well, I press and hold the power butt so the Nook reboots and... nothing. It stays at the Rooted Forever screen. If I take out the SD and hold down the power button and in about 5 seconds the screen flashes, goes blank, then comes right back up to Rooted Forever.

Any ideas? Did I permanently brick the thing? TIA!

Rosy
You can try the 8 failed boots trick, assuming you did not format the partition that contains the factory fallback and the bootloader. If you don't have that, then your options are very limited, basically you need for somebody to make a dump of the nook touch partitions and then recreate those on your nook touch. If you have lost information stored on the device, like the serial number and such, you may not be able to register once you restore the partitions.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
rosy621

I'll try it. Wish me luck! Will post back how it goes. I hope I didn't format the whole freaking thing.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
rosy621

Ok, since I can't make the thing reboot once, let alone 8 times (with or without the microSD in) I tried to use the adb shell through Terminal (I'm on a Mac). The Nook is connect to my Mac via usb and when I try to run shell, I'm told the device could not be found.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 8 boots trick is "failed boots", so you have to stop the boot process by pressing and holding the power button as soon as you see the device starts to boot, until it shuts down.

ADB will not work because you need to boot into Android for that to work, and you're not getting that far.
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
rosy621

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The 8 boots trick is "failed boots", so you have to stop the boot process by pressing and holding the power button as soon as you see the device starts to boot, until it shuts down.

ADB will not work because you need to boot into Android for that to work, and you're not getting that far.
The problem I have is that it won't even let me reboot. When I hold down the power button with the SD card in it and I press the power button, nothing happens. Without the SD card the picture will flash black. Then it will be blank for a little bit before "Rooted Forever" comes back.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
rosy621

Ok, I got someone to get the Nook to the point it gets to the "Reading Forever" splash screen and then it ends up with the "Install Failed" screen. I've tried booting from the microSD with a variety of img's that are supposed to fix the Nook. I've tried from the Mac terminal as well as setting up the SD through WinImage. I bricked the damn thing. I cannot believe I bricked it.

I'm open to any and every idea you can throw at me. Let me know what information you need from me.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Ok, I got someone to get the Nook to the point it gets to the "Reading Forever" splash screen and then it ends up with the "Install Failed" screen. I've tried booting from the microSD with a variety of img's that are supposed to fix the Nook. I've tried from the Mac terminal as well as setting up the SD through WinImage. I bricked the damn thing. I cannot believe I bricked it.

I'm open to any and every idea you can throw at me. Let me know what information you need from me.
I know this is not very helpful, but you are doing something wrong: the str has the sd card as first boot option so, even if you somehow formatted the emmc, it will still boot from a sd card. so it looks like your boot sd carc is not right.
First you need to boot from an sd card and then you can mount the emmc partitions to see what damage has been done and what needs to be restored.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
rosy621

Ok, I've got the the Nook booting off the SD card. The screen says "Rooted Forever". On once I've connected the Nook to my computer, it mounts as a drive labelled "boot". I don't see partitions. How do I voice the partitions? Or does that show me that there aren't any? (Thanks for the help. I feel like I'm asking stupid questions. I should've done a lot more reading before I attempted this...)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Ok, I've got the the Nook booting off the SD card. The screen says "Rooted Forever". On once I've connected the Nook to my computer, it mounts as a drive labelled "boot". I don't see partitions. How do I voice the partitions? Or does that show me that there aren't any? (Thanks for the help. I feel like I'm asking stupid questions. I should've done a lot more reading before I attempted this...)
If you use the sd card for rooting the touch, when the device boots you should see a few partitions. the issue is that most are not FAT so may not show on a windows machine, but will show on linux (boot is FAT). there may be something you can install in windows so it understands those partitions - cant help you there, i am a linux user.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
vexille
vexille began at the beginning.

i'm having the same problem. i'm stuck on the Rooted Forever screen. seems to be bricked. what do i do?
vexille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
fragman
fragman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Same problem

I've got the exact same problem. I've posted it to xda-developers.com over here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=231

Is there anything that can be done? The only image that will boot is Touchnooter, and that has no recovery capabilities.
fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
aso1964
aso1964 began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
Hi,
I got the same problem with my all new nook touch, the screen display "rooted forever".

Here is what i did, i pull out sd card, hold power and n button at the same time for about 10 sec and its work. My nook is working now.
aso1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
ceterumcenseo
ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ceterumcenseo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ipod touch
Ugh. I accidentally formatted my nook touch too. Is it possible to at least get it from the Rooted Forever screen to Read Forever?

Please help if you can!
ceterumcenseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
i would suggest combing xda for a 'full restore' incantation...

didn't anyone back up first? a simple dd command can back up and restore if you first boot using noogie.img!

unfortunately, from what i have read, is that even using another pristine nook's internals won't work? (hard-wired MAC address/registration problem)

i guess what is needed is a 'droid-only image? not sure the touchnooter-1-6-24.img provides that?
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote