Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I'll have to keep in mind the reset trick and give this a try next time it sits dormant (didn't plan on it being off for so long, ran into a book that just didn't want to be read quickly, have since dumped it, though I was so close to finishing it). Thanks for the tip!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Spec is 4 hours from the wall and 6 from the USB (except that it won't charge from the USB unless the ConnSoft is installed, or if the battery is too low).

I'd leave it in overnight the first time, though -- if you can stand it..

A hint: if you charge from the wall, you can play with it while it's charging (doesn't work with the USB charge).

I dont think I can..

So can I plug it into the wall, and then into USB to register with connect, get my credit, etc? Im also debating whether or not to flash it right away
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Don't thank me too soon, Azayzel -- I don't know that it'll help any yet, I just suspect it might.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
And I just have to add to this discussion if we are talking about "fair." Is it "fair" that someone should be able to get their first Reader for $100 rather than the $349 that I and others had to pay?!

I too bought a second reader from tigerdirect.com, but I didn't even know it was a limited offer (I really lucked out and should get it today or tomorrow in the mail). The way I see it is that I paid so much for the first one, that this 2nd was cheap insurance in case I broke mine and my son can stop borrowing mine!

Just my opinion, but really it's sorta survival of the fittest when it comes to these things. I saved and worked my butt off to pay for the first reader, and was delighted that I could afford the 2nd one at $99.

I didn't know it was a limited offer until I bought mine and logged back into these forums later that day. Now mind you, I do think it is wrong to buy 20 of them and then ebay them, but I think having a back up one that my 16 yr old son can use also is perfectly acceptable. So I am on Dr. Drib's side of the argument....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's Free Market, that's all -- and you bring up a good point: I don't think any of us knew it was an offer limited to 1,000 units until after they ran out of them.
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #21
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
And I just have to add to this discussion if we are talking about "fair." Is it "fair" that someone should be able to get their first Reader for $100 rather than the $349 that I and others had to pay?!
Thats an easy one. Sure its fair. Its common knowledge that eraly adopters will have to spend more. Ive wanted one for a long time, but was not going to buy one until the price fell below $150.00. Just couldnt justify it to myself. Tiger Direct ran the sale so I got it for $99. i did the same thing with my new HD-DVD player. Crutchfield ran an ad for $199 for it, whereas everyone else had it for $299. It turned out to be a price mistake, but crutchfield honored it.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #22
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Thats an easy one. Sure its fair. Its common knowledge that eraly adopters will have to spend more.
Oh I agree with you--I was just making the point that there seemed to be some finger pointing going around because some of us bought second Readers.

I mean, there are still plenty of readers out there, it's just that most of them are at the high price that I paid for my first one. It's not like there are no more left and no one can buy them, it's just that there are not a whole lot of cheap ones--so I don't think the poster that complained has a valid argument.

I usually am not an early adopter because of prices, but ebook readers are the exception to my rule. I live on a budget and don't make a lot of money, but I sacrificed some vacation time to buy my reader.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #23
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I paid the price back in November and did not pick up one of the $99 Readers. I say, "Congratulations!" to all of you that did pick up a second Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I paid the price back in November and did not pick up one of the $99 Readers. I say, "Congratulations!" to all of you that did pick up a second Reader.
Im pretty thrilled with my first reader, except I already have 25 books on mine and dont know what to read.

After I ordered it, i had time to play around with quite a few of the translation tools to get material ready. manga2ebook, rasterfarian, and book designer all do a pretty bang up job!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #25
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Glad you got yours!

Mine is due in tomorrow!

Sorry I couldn't get more...
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Spec is 4 hours from the wall and 6 from the USB (except that it won't charge from the USB unless the ConnSoft is installed, or if the battery is too low).

I'd leave it in overnight the first time, though -- if you can stand it..

A hint: if you charge from the wall, you can play with it while it's charging (doesn't work with the USB charge).
It's fully charged when the little red (?) light above the power switch goes out. I generally recharge when I'm down to 2 bars, and that only takes about 60-90 minutes, typically, using the wall charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #27
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What should I do with it?? - hahaha

How shall I use it? (context: I already have a fully functional unit I bought in December.)
An anecdote:
When the communism ended in Poland, we were left with tons of spare editions of Lenin's Complete Works. At rock-bottom prices, bound in quality leather, they ended up as elegant gloves. In case your other one is this leather-bound Dooney & Bourke edition, it would be an option. Otherwise... no clue
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #28
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A hundred bucks is cheaper than the original price but it still is not given and a sacrifice to the family budget.

We'll have to see even better prices to get the democratization that will bring the ebook to soar. When they get to the $29.99, which seems to be the current TV offer average, ebooks will take off to never come back down.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #29
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Sheeesh I wish I was here reading this so much earlier, I think I may have picked up a second one for just because <sigh> all gone.....
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, that's what you get for neglecting your friends, Karen!

You can still get in on this one, if you don't mind applying for a credit card.