Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
ePubCheck problem

Hi Guys,
I have always made ePubs with bits inserted to make it ready for Kindle conversion.

This goes into the Metadata section of the Content.opf
PHP Code:
<meta name="cover" content="my-cover-image"/> 
This goes into the manifest section

PHP Code:
 <item id="my-cover-image" href="images/Cover_kindle.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/> 
This goes into the Spine section:
PHP Code:
    <itemref idref="cover" linear="no"/> 
This goes into the guide section:
PHP Code:
<reference type="cover" title="my-cover-image" href="images/Cover_kindle.jpg"/>
<
reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Contents.xhtml"/> 
And, finally, I add a Cover_kindle.jpeg into the Images folder.

Now, doing this, I've never had a problem getting the epub through epubcheck.
But now, since they've updated it, I errors out.

I've been ignoring this, as I know the files are correct. But it's just annoying...

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get around this?
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would just ignore it. The message is probably correct for ePUB, but not for Kindle. Since that is your goal...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess you also have something like this in the manifest:

Code:
<item id="cover" href="Cover.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
as otherwise the bit in the spine would be pointing to a non-existing idref. In that case, you could try pointing the guide element to Cover.xhtml, instead of the jpg file. That would make it ePub compliant, but it might not convert nicely to Kindle, you'd have to try.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I guess you also have something like this in the manifest:

Code:
<item id="cover" href="Cover.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
as otherwise the bit in the spine would be pointing to a non-existing idref. In that case, you could try pointing the guide element to Cover.xhtml, instead of the jpg file. That would make it ePub compliant, but it might not convert nicely to Kindle, you'd have to try.
That line IS already in there?
I don't know what they changed in the epubcheck, but it's annoying
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I'm not mistaken, the errors say that links in the guide section must be to elements of "standard" types. In other words, they shouldn't link directly to a JPEG file, but to an XHTML that includes the image.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Adjust
Addict

Yeah, I get that, but I guess what I'm asking is... What changed between the old and new epubcheck to throw up this error?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You should be linking to the XML file that displays the cover and not the actual cover image. That will work, be compliant and not toss up errors.

You also have to make a cover link in the spine for converting to Mobipocket that points to the cover XML.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get around this?
I noticed, that the "images" in your screenshot is spelled in lowercase. This is a bit unusual (at last for Sigil)

Maybe if you change this in "Images" (uppercase I) the error is gone ???
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote