Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
dunedragn
dunedragn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Numbering Series - Multiple Books in One

Hi all,
I've searched the forum and haven't found anyone else asking this question, but feel free to point me there if it has been asked/answered before.

I have a few ebooks that consist of multiple books in one (i.e. Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide). Is there a way to list the book in the Series field as containing books 1-5? Currently I'm using a period (1.5), but I was wondering if anyone has found another (better) solution.

Thanks!
dunedragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The answer is 42 (sorry couldn't resist! )

Mayhap you could include in the book title that it is an anthology (Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, Books 1-5). You could also create a custom column that would list the titles in an anthology. If you leave the Book Details panel up all the time, you could list the individual titles there (I would do the first and third suggestions myself since I do leave the Book Details panel up at all times).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use 1.2345 since dashes are not allowed.
(I use a non-sequential fraction to indicat things that fall inbtween, like a short story, or a variation of the original
It is 1. because it contains the first book and will sort properly with other, non-omnibus titles within the series. (A now, common problem with Baen re-releases of their backlist or old classics the have obtained rights to))

I also add a tag 'Omnibus edition'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I just choose the first number in the series, then put a note in the summary that it actually contains books x through x.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
dunedragn
dunedragn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Smile new problem

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll do the sequential decimals that theducks suggested.

I just found a book that has both 0.5 and 1.5 in it ugh . I guess that will go in as 0.5 with a note in it.

Thanks everyone!
dunedragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I just choose the first number in the series, then put a note in the summary that it actually contains books x through x.
That's what I've been doing, and tagging the books as bundles; now I'm thinking theducks's suggestion would work better for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use 1.2345 since dashes are not allowed.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm ... Calibre only allows me to go 2 decimals after the point; is there a way to change it to more?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Same here, I also have a special tag entry for anthologies.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are correct, 1.23 ,4.56 are my highest compounded series (I found the place I thought was 1.2345, ended up 123.45
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are correct, 1.23 ,4.56 are my highest compounded series (I found the place I thought was 1.2345, ended up 123.45
Thanks for the clarification
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The field in Metadata.db is 'real', so it may be a 'No one needs more than 640K' moment in the development process