Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #196
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
When I've gotten that error with mobidedrm it's been because either the book was not drmed in the first place or because it was topaz format.

cheers
Thanks everyone for your help! You were right on that it was not encrypted in the first place. I have been reading MobileRead for a while now, but this was my first venture into posting. This is an amazing community!
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #197
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I registered my Son's iPod Touch to my Amazon account. So, now he has access to all 26 of my books. The real nice thing is that you can't buy books from the Kindle app. You have to go into amazon store with Safari to buy books. This means my Son has access to all my ebooks, but has no way to buy more. He has to request that I buy them.

Is there a way to disable Whispersync in the iPod Kindle app?

BOb
Not currently, but there is an interesting item at the bottom of the Manage Your Kindle page:

"Manage synchronization between devices. Learn more. "

Currently, only Learn More is a link, but maybe they're still working on the management? It would be nice to exclude a device from WhisperNet syncing.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #198
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, cause I was reading the faqs on the iPhone and it said that automatic sync was enabled. And, if you wanted to manually sync tap the screen and press the circle icon. But, it didn't say if that turned of auto sync or now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
"Manage synchronization between devices. Learn more. "
Actually, I see when I go to that link, at the right side there is a yellow button that says "Turn Synchronization Off". So I did that. Thanks, I didn't even see that link before.

But, there is no control per device. It seems like it is ON or OFF for every device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #199
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Cool. So it does d/l the book and you can read it if you go off line?
absolutely - don't you love it! Of course sync doesn't work offline.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hot damn! It works. I can get the books off the iPod and strip away the virus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #201
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Is everybody happy now?! Non-Kindle owners now have access to Kindle books (some with a bit more work than others). How evil is that?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #202
kitzj0
kitzj0 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I was able to get my purchased kindle book off the iphone onto my computer and renamed the file to the book title with the same extension. Found the right title by using Calibre. I have been able to get my PID by typing kindlepid.py and my iphone serial number with the updated script (which basically change the 7 to an 8). Then I run kindlefix.py space booktitle.prc space PID generated from step before. I get a message saying that the PID is not right for the book. Then I tried mobidedrm.py booktitle.prc generated PID and it just says what mobidedrm does and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those books that can't be converted? All the scripts are in the same directory as the book. Thanks!
kitzj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #203
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nevermind
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
I was able to get my purchased kindle book off the iphone onto my computer and renamed the file to the book title with the same extension. Found the right title by using Calibre. I have been able to get my PID by typing kindlepid.py and my iphone serial number with the updated script (which basically change the 7 to an 8). Then I run kindlefix.py space booktitle.prc space PID generated from step before. I get a message saying that the PID is not right for the book. Then I tried mobidedrm.py booktitle.prc generated PID and it just says what mobidedrm does and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those books that can't be converted? All the scripts are in the same directory as the book. Thanks!
If you are using Python 3.0, you'll need to uninstall it and use Python 2.6.x or Python 2.5.x from http://www.python.org.

[post edited at request of Amazon]
Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #205
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Has the modified script been posted (or linked to) anywhere? I can add it to the Visual Guide, if I can find it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #206
kitzj0

JSwolf

I used python 2.6 and I did go to the amazon.com website and got the serial number there in my account settings for my iphone. Maybe I did something wrong with editing the script. I opened the script in notepad, and as post 142 (I think that is right) and changed the 7 to an 8 and saved the script. Then I ran the script by typing kindlepid.py space then typed the amazon serial code for my iphone, hit enter, then I got a generated PID. Then I typed kindlefix.py (Space) UR.prc (space) then the generated kindle PID.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #207
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
JSwolf

I used python 2.6 and I did go to the amazon.com website and got the serial number there in my account settings for my iphone. Maybe I did something wrong with editing the script. I opened the script in notepad, and as post 142 (I think that is right) and changed the 7 to an 8 and saved the script. Then I ran the script by typing kindlepid.py space then typed the amazon serial code for my iphone, hit enter, then I got a generated PID. Then I typed kindlefix.py (Space) UR.prc (space) then the generated kindle PID.
It's more a change then just a 7 to an 8.

Code:
  post content modified on Amazon's request
That is the correct line.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-12-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #208
kitzj0

Maybe this is what I am doing wrong:

I copied the kindlefix.py, kindlepid.py, and prc.py Igor scripts to \python26\tools\scripts folder. Then I copied these scripts to the folder with the book. I then edited the kindlepid.py script as described in previous post from the kindlepid.py in the ebook folder and left the original script in \python26\tools\scripts folder alone. I ran the command program and was in the directory as the ebook and ran the scripts as described. Maybe I should have copied the modified kindlepid.py into the \python26\tools\scripts directory?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #209
kitzj0

I should delete the +"*"?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #210
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Boy, I'm really tempted to get an iPod touch now :-)

Does anybody know if you can read unDRMed Mobipocket on an iPod Touch? Maybe with something other than the Kindle app?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle