Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #22576
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Still reading Arianna Huffington, but it's slow going... politics aren't my favorite, and it's so damn depressing.

Meanwhile I have started The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson. Once finished with Huffington, I my go on to some fiction; maybe a thriller I picked up as a freebie of the month...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #22577
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
The Mother Tongue is very un-depressing and it should be a great relief. Among other things, you'll learn the single most understood word in the whole world; spoken in every language in every country.

Enjoy.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #22578
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
The Mother Tongue is very un-depressing and it should be a great relief. Among other things, you'll learn the single most understood word in the whole world; spoken in every language in every country.

Enjoy.
If you mean the word "ok", I rather doubt that it's used in every language in the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #22579
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
Tarkin, that's a book upcoming on my TBR list when I pop in and out of the Star Wars Universe. I hope it's a decent read like Darth Plagueis.

Just finished Death Troopers a few days back and it was about what I expected it to be. A thriller/zombie-esque story thrown into the Star Wars universe that really added nothing to it. I was hoping for more, but alas "this was not that MORE I was looking for".

I think Tarkin was pretty good. I never read Darth Plagueis for comparison though. I love my Star Wars but I usually stay away from the "prequel era" stuff.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #22580
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I haven't. I was planning on getting them, particularly since Vicky seemed to be turning into a more reasonable person, but then I read some reviews at Goodreads or Amazon. More than one reviewer commented on so much of the books being about her jumping in and out of beds. So I decided that I'd find out how explicit the books were before I spent any money on them. (Right now, none of my libraries have them.)

So, I'd like to hear your opinion. I don't mind reading *that* two people had sex, I just don't want to have to read about *how* they had sex -- if you get my drift.
That sounds more like the first book. She did use sex to get her way. But, you see her morals starting to change in the first book and continuing in the second. I do not remember any overly graphic sexual descriptions in the books, but I also tend to skim over those sections when I come across them in books I am reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #22581
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you mean the word "ok", I rather doubt that it's used in every language in the world.
According to Bryson, it is. And I have heard it in virtually every one of the 50 plus countries I have been in.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #22582
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
According to Bryson, it is. And I have heard it in virtually every one of the 50 plus countries I have been in.
I'd like to see Mr Bryson's supporting evidence. Do remote tribes in the Amazon rainforest who have had virtually no contact with the outside world really go around saying "ok" to one another? I seriously doubt it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #22583
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
So, I'd like to hear your opinion. I don't mind reading *that* two people had sex, I just don't want to have to read about *how* they had sex -- if you get my drift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That sounds more like the first book. She did use sex to get her way. But, you see her morals starting to change in the first book and continuing in the second. I do not remember any overly graphic sexual descriptions in the books, but I also tend to skim over those sections when I come across them in books I am reading.
I started the prequel novella last night (Kris Longknife's Assassin), and so far, it's much more "tell" than "show" in that respect. There are a few references to body parts, but the style so far is that they get named when she's putting on a show and mostly veiled when she's actually using them, if you follow me. Otherwise it's very much "they're done talking, here's the first move, now we pull the curtain."

I'm more offended by the copyedit job, myself... but I'm weird that way. When it has "a women" hiding out in the "lady's room" instead of "a woman" in the "ladies' room", I start grinding my teeth.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #22584
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'd like to see Mr Bryson's supporting evidence. Do remote tribes in the Amazon rainforest who have had virtually no contact with the outside world really go around saying "ok" to one another? I seriously doubt it!
I would think the word "No" is more universal... although it certainly isn't universal. Not sure what the base language is for Amazonian Tribes.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #22585
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
One is the final Kris Longknife book, and I hope that they get it quickly. Or maybe I don't. I'm hoping that the series isn't over after the twelfth book.
Relentless Oct 27, 2015
Ambassador Oct 25, 2016.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #22586
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

I read all three Wayward Pines books by Blake Crouch, and the way the Fox television series ended was a far cry from the way any of the books ended.
Spoiler:
Ethan Burke never died in any of the books. In fact, at the end of the third book...
Spoiler:
...Ethan Burke is alive and well 10,000 years after the events in Wayward Pines.

My apologies to anyone who followed my advice and watched the tv series.
Spoiler:
Killing off Burke destroyed any possibility of a series sequel.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #22587
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I read the first book, Ross Poldark, in Winston Graham's Poldark series and now am reading the 2nd book, Demelza. I've been watching the series on PBS.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:43 AM   #22588
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: the latest Asimov's SF magazine.
Which was up to scratch. Then I read "A Braver Thing", a novelette by Charles Sheffield, a first person fiction in reminiscence of how they got where they were - about to receive a Nobel prize. An interesting little story.

And now onto Putting Up Roots by Charles Sheffield. A YA and shows it a bit.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #22589
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
He said every language in every country. Could it mean he meant an official language in every country?
If he meant that I'd believe it.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #22590
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Relentless Oct 27, 2015
Ambassador Oct 25, 2016.
Yay! Hooray!

2015 has been the year of reading the endings of series and I wasn't sure I wanted to face the end of another one.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote