Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Today, 09:43 AM   #22606
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Having been away, I'm a little behind on updating my reading list. My recent books are:

Man-Kzin Wars IX. An anthology of stories by various authors, set in Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe. Originally bought from Baen in 2002, and all very enjoyable. Recommended.

Police at the Funeral by Margery Allingham. The 4th book in the "Campion" series, and very enjoyable. Campion is asked for help by a family in Cambridge whose members are being systematically killed. An good story with some interesting characters and unexpected plot twists. Very good.

Retief! by Keith Laumer. Originally bought from Baen in 2002, this is a collection of all of Laumer's "Retief" stories, about a diplomat in a future galactic federation who solves problems by unorthodox methods. Excellent.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. A quick re-read of this in preparation for...

The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter. An authorised sequel to "The Time Machine" and follows on directly from it. An excellent hard-SF time-travel extravaganza with enough twists and paradoxes to satisfy the most devoted lover of time-travel stories. Absolutely excellent, but do make sure that you read "The Time Machine" before it to set the scene.

Last edited by HarryT; Today at 09:47 AM.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #22607
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've read the first, and have the second in my TBR, but somehow haven't managed to get to it. Need to try another one.
Do get to it! They get better and better as you go along. It took a few books to get me hooked and now I can't read much else. Dresden, Dresden, Dresden!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #22608
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I finished my third long book (700+ pages) of the year. I chose a book that has been on my TBR list for a couple of years; Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Which is a mixture of crime and sci-fi. I always hesitated to read it because I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi and it's a very long book. But I loved it, it was the best book I've read so far this year. For me it felt more of a crime book set in the future (with all the new technology) than a sci-fi novel with a mystery thrown in.

Quote:
In Newcastle-upon-Tyne, AD 2142, Detective Sidney Hurst attends a brutal murder scene. The victim is one of the wealthy North family clones – but none have been reported missing. And the crime’s most disturbing aspect is how the victim was killed. Twenty years ago, a North clone billionaire and his household were horrifically murdered in exactly the same manner, on the tropical planet of St Libra. But if the murderer is still at large, was Angela Tramelo wrongly convicted? Tough and confident, she never waivered under interrogation – claiming she alone survived an alien attack. But there is no animal life on St Libra. Investigating this alien threat becomes the Human Defence Agency’s top priority. The bio-fuel flowing from St Libra is the lifeblood of Earth’s economy and must be secured. So a vast expedition is mounted via the Newcastle gateway, and teams of engineers, support personnel and xenobiologists are dispatched to the planet. Along with their technical advisor, grudgingly released from prison, Angela Tramelo. But the expedition is cut off, deep within St Libra’s rainforests. Then the murders begin. Someone or something is picking off the team one by one. Angela insists it’s the alien, but her new colleagues aren’t so sure. Maybe she did see an alien, or maybe she has other reasons for being on St Libra ...
I can definitely recommend it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote