Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
thinking of switching to Nook

Hi all,

I own a Sony 505 for quite sometimes now. I love it thus far. However, I am thinking of maybe switching to Nook. I read simple text and don't use any other features on the reader at all. Do you think I should or should not switch and why? The only thing I find different from the two is the touch screen for the way I read anyway. I wouldn't mind using that. I know I can read any books from my 505 on Nook. The screen on the Nook seems narrower also. Maybe it's just me. Can you guys give me some pointers to help me decide? Thanks!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The 505 and the nook have the same screen so the only reason to switch would be if the nook has features you want to have that you don't now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'd say, if at all possible, go into a Barnes & Noble and test drive one. Most of my DRM'd ebooks are eReader format, so I was really tempted by the Nook.

I went to a local B&N and tried one out. To be up front, I didn't have a great experience with it. I had to go to the Information Desk and ask to see it. It was tethered to a security device the entire time, so I couldn't get a real impression of its weight or comfort in my hands.

Overall, I wasn't impressed enough to want to switch. I've grown accustomed to holding my reading at the bottom, and having to remember not to trigger the touch screen section was annoying. (Also why I don't think I'd care for the Kindle at all).

It seemed heavier than my Sony, although - like I said - the security tether made it hard to tell.

I'm not interested in the wireless (bluetooth, 3G, whatever) at all, so when it came down to it, the only advantage to me was not having to "liberate" my eReader formatted books. It just wasn't enough to justify spending another $250 when I had a reader I already loved.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

I tried it at BN but didn't really get a full impression there since everything I did with it was watched my the associate. So I went to play with it again at BestBuy. I liked it enough that I am thinking of switching. I think it is heavier and kind of awkward to hold.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Does your 505 have "Go To Page" and the Collections functionality that the 300 has? Do you ever use them? If you do, you'll be giving that up because the Nook doesn't have either one out of the box. You can get folders/collections by softrooting your Nook, but that's extra work and if you have a problem with the Nook (like the case cracking) you'll have to back it all out because it voids your warranty. The "Go To Page" function isn't available at all, even softrooted, as far as I know. The Nook is thicker and heavier than any of the other eReaders I own (except my iPad, and I don't really consider that a dedicated eReader) and I found it uncomfortable to hold for more than 20 minutes, but YMMV. I actually bought a Sony 300 because I couldn't stand using the Nook, so I can't imagine what you would gain from switching from the holy grail of ereaders, the Sony 505, to a Nook, except access to books from B&N.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I switched, well sort of, from ready to order the kindle 2 to buying the Nook after my wife came home with one. I fell in love with it. Loved the interface and the color touchscreen navigation, wi fi over whispernet. etc.

I also love the feel of it and how it feels in my hand. The rubberized back makes for excellent grip. As far as the weight is concerned, it's 2oz more than the Kindle. When did everyone become such vitamin deficent weaklings, that a whole WHOPPING 2oz's it starts breaking wrists a. My Nook weighs no more than my 200 page Trade paperback copy of The Dark Tower I - The Gunslinger. Soo people Please. Let's come down off the moon shall we This thing is light.

Also the Nook is one of those where the more you play and get to know it the more in love you become with it. I've heard those multiple times and I found it to be very true.

As far as some of the other issues that were raised the whole cracked issue was addressed and if you do buy one it would be a latter built model . So I think this is a non issue anymore. Besides I do the page turning by finger swiping almost exclusivly now. It soo cool

The not being able to create folders? You can do some limited arranging by Author, Last read etc, Though I would be very surprised if this wasn't updated in future Firmware upgrades. Right now I'm doing mine on Calibre and some on my Nook on line account.

The "Go to Page specific" even though I'm now on about my 13th book since buying the Nook and haven't used it once (the Go to Chapter etc so far has been all I needed) I too find it an odd ommission. But as with the dedicated Folder Manangement I'm willing to bet the Farm that this will be included in the next round of updates. Oooooooooo what will the Nook haters have to hang their hat on then when that happens?

Besides the looks and the navigation and the fact it does give you that 'Now" type of feel to it as opposed of holidng something that seems decades old in design and navigation. What I do thoroughly love is the "Read in-Store- and other in store features.

My wife and I just got back from Barnes and noble. We showed our nooks to store rep and they gave us a coupon for a Free Book, you walk in it automatically connects to their wi fi and you get a " Welcome to Barnes and Noble at *insert your location here* . You get special coupons and discounts on e-books nobody else does, you get exclusive Free e-books and my wife and I also got a free seven layer bar from Starbucks Cafe. I mean that is just a really nice touch along with Free Friday's. It becomes "Ooh what is the book this Friday" You look forward to it. It's fun. And the whole Read in store (which is you can read any book you want while you are in the store for up to an hour during a 24 hour period, is really great. You don't know how much fun the instore Barnes and Noble experience is until you do it. It's now part of my wife and I's weekly routine. This is just something you don't get with the other e-readers.

I know some people are thinking "so what big deal" Well you are right it's not a big deal BUT it adds an enjoyable element to your product. Especially if you are bookstore lover. It's a really really nice touch and just adds to the enjoyment of owning the Nook.

So to me all this adds to a soo much enjoyable and personalized experience instead of just having a "gadget"

So whether you keep your Sony 505 or do decide to go with the Nook, remember it's your decision not ours, I mean every loves to spend other peoples money. I just chimed in fairly in depth to 1. To give the Nook a fair shake as opposed to the disgruntled people bashing it and 2. to let you know how another Nook owner is enjoying his e-reader.

So good luck with whatever you decide, I sure you'll be happy no matter what.

Last edited by boswd; 05-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I'm not getting a nook. The nook doesn't have enough going for it to be worth spending the money. The screens are the same. IMHO, it's not an upgrade as much as a sidegrade (at best).

For me, I'm holding out for a larger screen reader. I am hoping the forthcoming Overdrive app will do for me what iBooks currently does not do. If it does, I might get an iPad for reading at home and keep the 505 for reading on the go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
superstitious
Addict

@boswd Thanks for your honest and detailed opinion of the Nook. The reason I was thinking of switching in the first place was because I got a $50 gift card to BN and was thinking I might get $200 from selling the 505 so essentially I would spend maybe no more than 15 bucks on the Nook. I love the touch screen with the cover browse and the "now" feel of the Nook. I love the accessories and all the cool covers I can get. Other people's opinions made sense too about the 505. If I don't use all other features on the Nook then why switching. I however now have another dilemma. The darn $199 thing on Sony 600 is sooooo tempting but then again I don't know. I only had my 505 for about 6 months so maybe I should see where this takes me. It's an excellent device all in all. So I guess we'll have to see.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you're welcome. And good luck with your decision and let us know how you make out.

I know alot of people would just love to be in your shoes. "Hmm Nook or Sony 505?"
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The nook is a nice reader, but I ended up returning it because the battery life is the worst of any e-ink device I've owned. I could get three days of regular (i.e. several hours a day) reading on it with minimal use of the wireless (i.e. turn it on to download my Newspaper, turn it off right afterwords). I get well over a week (sometimes even a month or more) out other devices I've owned, such as the Pocketbook 360 or Kindle DX (which is quite good on the batteries with the wireless turned off). I even turned down the brightness of the lcd and made it shut down sooner but the battery life was still bad. This was my second nook with a similar issue, so I don't think it is a problem with the battery. For an LCD device the battery life is awesome. For an e-ink device it stinks. It takes after it's daddy more than its mommy, I guess.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The nook is a nice reader, but I ended up returning it because the battery life is the worst of any e-ink device I've owned. I could get three days of regular (i.e. several hours a day) reading on it with minimal use of the wireless (i.e. turn it on to download my Newspaper, turn it off right afterwords). I get well over a week (sometimes even a month or more) out other devices I've owned, such as the Pocketbook 360 or Kindle DX (which is quite good on the batteries with the wireless turned off). I even turned down the brightness of the lcd and made it shut down sooner but the battery life was still bad. This was my second nook with a similar issue, so I don't think it is a problem with the battery. For an LCD device the battery life is awesome. For an e-ink device it stinks. It takes after it's daddy more than its mommy, I guess.

Luqman

out of curiosity do you find outlets are unavailable after 3 days of reading?

I always found this an interesting complaint about battery life. If it's under a day, sure but anything beyond 2 days or so, why does plugging it in all of a sudden become this ohhhh sooo tireless chore that we just can't bear to deal with. I mean people don't have their e-read locked to their face 24/7,

Do people not watch regualar Television, go out for an evening, watch movies at home, do yardwork? Why is plugging in your device an ubearable task to do while you go and do something when you aren't reading?

If you like leaving your device on with all the wi fi/3G ect. going why and how is charging it after 3 days an unbearable chore?

I charge my iPone every night, I don't rant and rave about it. My laptop can't go over 3 hours, I simply plug it in.

even if you go away somewhere, are people saying that they will be no where near an outlet?

When I have everything going I recharge mine after about 3 days as well.
When I'm locked into a book, I put it on Airplane Mode (turns off both 3G and Wi Fi) I easly get over 7 days, rougly around 9 or 10.

I think battery life is one of the most overated spec people love to hang their hats on. If your device goes beyond 2 days without charging, I find it extremely difficult to believe that it is a HUGE inconvience to charge it after 3 days.

Again I can see the complaint if it were less than a day. but 3 days min. 7-10 Max? seriously?
I think we as a society have become to complainish about too many little things in life.

Last edited by boswd; 05-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I think we as a society have become to complainish about too many little things in life.
I wonder if you see the irony of your post.

A few points
1) First the less you charge the less energy you consume so it's cheaper and greener solution.
2) Because there is better so why settle for less
3) Because when you really need your device there is no outlet to rely on.

Yes I plug in my phone every day, and it is a pain. If I can have a phone with the same features set and last a week I would ditch my existing phone.
My lap top also last 3.5hrs, I keep it plugged in the vast majority of the time. I also bought an extended battery so I could get another 1.5 hrs of charge.

I recently went on vacation. And the outlets where not very functional in our room. My cell phone and laptop batteries died so the quit working within the day, but my eInk reader lasted the two weeks I was away. I read a great amount that vacation, and even more than normal since I had no laptop or phone. The point is you might not always need two week charge, but when you do need it, it's great to have it.

Everybody has different needs and different likes and just because they're different from yours doesn't make them any less valid.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I paid for a hotel room and the outlets were not working properly, I would want to switch rooms with one that has ram working outlets.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes normally I would, but it was a cruise ship and they said outlets where not for designed for charging personal appliances. I would have still made it an issue but my wife really liked the location of the room and did not want to move.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Personally I don't see that much advantage of a nook over what you already have - the Sony 505. I'd use the $50 for ebooks and just convert them to work on the Sony.

But it's up to you. Sony 505 do seem to fetch a premium price so I'm sure you could sell it with little trouble.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote