Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
The time in my EZReader doesn't hold, help!

I received my ezreader a few days ago, and everything looks good, except the clock. Every time I start the reader is always set to 12:00 and the date changes back to the default date.

There are no instructions on the manual on how to set time, however in the web page there is a brief description that obviously does not work. I've also tried many other buttons and combinations to no avail.

Anybody?
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
There is no clock chip in the EZ reader, so when you turn it off, the time is gone.

The good news is there is no reason to turn the device off. Ever. Tap the power button to lock the keyboard and the power consumption is essentially zero.

The clock will continue to be kept during keyboard lock.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Kinda silly, ain't it? to put a clock in a device that doesn't have a clock chip.
Anyway, thanks for your reply, I'll be around here to find out more things that I discover using my device.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I'd rather have it than not have it. A clock chip is just a computer circuit with battery backup. Since you don't have to turn the reader off, it's kinda like a big clock chip itself.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Kinda silly, ain't it? to put a clock in a device that doesn't have a clock chip.
Anyway, thanks for your reply, I'll be around here to find out more things that I discover using my device.

Thanks!
The original IBM PC and PC-XT had no clock chip. You had to set it every time you turned it on unless you had a 3rd party add-on board with a clock chip and a script in the Autoexec.bat.

The IBM-AT corrected that problem
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
If you look at the specifications of the ARM processor used in the device you will find that there is actually a full fledged Real Time Clock (RTC) in the processor. The problem is that the back up battery power source for the clock is optional and Jinke opted not to provide a clock battery. The RTC just runs off the same power that powers the processor, so when you turn the device off the power to the clock goes off too. Just leave the device on all the time, since it consumes very little power when idle.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Also, remember that the time will not update until you change a screen. So if you leave your PP on instead of keyboard lock it, the time will not update until you change the page, return to main menu, etc.

Once I thought my clock had stopped until I remembered about changing the page. Then all was well.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Problem is no separate battery for clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Also, remember that the time will not update until you change a screen. So if you leave your PP on instead of keyboard lock it, the time will not update until you change the page, return to main menu, etc.

Once I thought my clock had stopped until I remembered about changing the page. Then all was well.

AJ
Dear All:

You have to please remember that the device was built long before the visible clock was added. As such, because they had not planned for a clock there is no clock battery. Please realize that the clock came via a firmware upgrade. To add a battery for the clock would have meant a complete redesign of the printed circuit board.

As long as you do not turn the unit off, the visible clock is set. Yes, you may need to use page turn to get the clock to update itself. It is not a matter that the factory was too cheap to install a battery... it is a matter of the factory hearing our request for a clock and adding it after the unit was out.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The original IBM PC and PC-XT had no clock chip. You had to set it every time you turned it on unless you had a 3rd party add-on board with a clock chip and a script in the Autoexec.bat.

The IBM-AT corrected that problem
Please TheDucks! you're talking about 30 year old technology, which was totally new back then. This is 2007 (when the EZReader was designed) technology. It should be a given at this day and age.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I can very well do without a clock, I did buy my reader just to READ

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Chikwako
Reader EZ

By the way, it amazes me that no one had posted this, as I'm sure all of you went through the same thing I did. I also have other questions (other subjects) that I'm surprised haven't seen here. You'll see.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Please disregard the previous comment, as I found a tread initiated by our very own theducks about the same subject. Sorry, I didn't look hard enough, my fault.