Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
Anyone using the current eSlick reader?

I'm seriously thinking about buying the eSlick reader, and would appreciate any feedback from somebody using the eSlick with the new firmware. Some of the old reviews make it seem like it wasn't really a finished product. With the new Fictionwise deal on these I really kind of want one, but am leery of buying without hearing impressions from users of the eSlick.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
fluorescent
fluorescent began at the beginning.

Device: a bunch
That's IF you can get the firmware on there. I had to try the firmware update process about 6 times before I finally got it uploaded. The update process involves pressing reset then menu and power at once, starting the update on the computer for step one, and repeating this six times - which you may have to do two or six times before it works. Some users of older models can't seem to update at all to 2.0, but those are all models that would be before the batch they're putting out now. Just be forewarned you're not getting a used one.

Good rule of thumb when it comes to buying a new product is to always check out that products support forum, and it will tell you all you really need to know. Also, from a hardware prospective, near as I can figure its the netronix eb600 which is what the cybook is/was, so look at the cybook forums to see what the hardware weaknesses are.
From what I've experienced It's okay as far as sturdiness goes. You need a cover, and you might want to buy the leather one because the synthetic smells terrible and leaves that crappy vinyl residue smell on your hands. The points of worry for me are the USB and phono out. They're soldered directly to the board, so when you plug in and out, you're putting stress on the solder joints which hold them to the board, and the solder is actually on top of a copper layer which has been glued to the board, too much stress and it might snap at some point. Also, the board sort of wobbles around if you have to goose the usb plug back and forth to get it out, and that isn't that great because the screen is so delicate and all that. This is because the plastic case doesn't fit together so snugly, and there's a bit of play which allows the usb plug to move around. It's manageable, just be sure to at least try to plug the cable in carefully and pull the cable straight out if its not too stiff to do so. Buttons are a little stiff, but responsive. Page turning isn't a problem. It's pretty sturdy, not built like a tank, but sturdy enough. Treat it with respect and I see it lasting at least 10 years.

that 8000 page turn promise is for TEXT files. Pdfs? you get maybe 500 turns because of all the juice they take up in processing the file types. The pdf support is pretty good, but PDF is a crappy format for an e-reader imo. You can fit the content to the width of the screen using "smart zoom" but if you do that it has this annoying habit of repeating the bottom two lines of text again, this time as the first to lines of text, so you end up reading the same sentences twice all the time. Reflow is okay. Rarely though, what ends up happening is that in the reformat, wordsget smashedtogether. It's veryreadable but I wouldn't use some PDFs with reflowunless you feel you can't han-del words beingmashed together a bunch, and a ton of superfluous hypens put in. It happens on some pdfs, while some get processed just fine, so YYMV

txt and epub render well but if you zoom too much on some, you have a problem with huge amounts of white space wasting the page, for example:

Imagine this sentence takes up the full width of the screen properly.
Now, this is the next
Sentence, you notice that annoying "unwrapped" bit of text up
there?
That's what you have to deal with if you zoom.

I think your current sony may do the same thing actually.

but this too only happens on 30% of the text and epub files I use.

I've had it freeze once or twice on HUGE files, but it seems okay. Updating the firmware wiped out my main memory so always backup.

I was going to go for the sony touch... but I don't trust a touchscreen on top of a delicate glass e-ink screen. I've also heard the glare is an issue, and frankly I don't need that. Touchscreens fail a lot, and e-ink screens are very delicate. The sony has a metal case which is great, but I'd rather not risk the screen troubles for a little added rigidity.

Be sure to download the product manual too that's also a really helpful rundown of the features.

short version
Basically its a cybook but with better-ish firmware and processing power. The firmware still needs work, but the newest models are getting there. I give it a 7/10 for build quality, so be careful. It renders text really well. Epubs good. PDF, probably the best of anyone but pdfs suck and are prone to problems on any device. The synthetic cover will make your hands smell bad. Oh, and you get foxit reader and pdf creator free with it. Be careful with the usb port.
fluorescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Netronix Clone

I think its a netronix clone. So I am guessing it will be very similar to the Cybook and Cool-er.

The eslick shows that it had a firmware update released, which is a very good sign. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/o...ification.html

I do not have a eslick, but if its like my Cool-er it is probably a good little device.

I saw the eslick at Fry's the other day, not sure if you live close to one where you could go check it out?

I don't think we have too many eslick users. The mods are working on a new forum area for some of the other e-ink devices that don't have their own forum area.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
kenm
Enthusiast

fluorescent:
The USB port kind of concerns me. Have you actually taken this apart? If it's easy to disassemble I'm not so worried because I can repair it if needed. I'm not really concerned about the PDF support so much because like you I think PDF is a horrible format for ereaders also. The main thing I'm looking for is the Secure eReader support, I buy a lot of books from Fictionwise.

sassanik:
I wish I had the option of going to Fry's but living in Alaska my only option is Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer. I really like to look at things before I buy them, but only Fred Meyer carries any eBook ereaders, only Sony PRS-300 and they rarely have any in stock. Wal-Mart only seems to carry TV's and game consoles in my town.

Any way thanks for the info, I think I may just take the chance and order one. If nothing else I get $100 credit for eBooks.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ahh

I have family in Alaska, they come down a couple of times a year just to go shopping and visit the family.

I can see how a ebook reader would work out very good for you since I imagine you also have limited options on bookstores!

I hope the eslick works out well for you. If not you could try the Cool-er or a Pocketbook 360 or go with a EB1150, older tech but it works really well!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
kenm
Enthusiast

Yeah, we're kind of limited, had a Waldenbooks, but they closed when Barnes & Noble came to town. I pretty much only buy computer tech books and the marked down hardcovers from B&N. So the ebook has really been nice. I really don't need another ebook reader since Sony upgraded my PRS-500, but I am also addicted to buying tech gadgets, so I really want to order this eSlick reader.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
fluorescent
fluorescent began at the beginning.

Device: a bunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
fluorescent:
The USB port kind of concerns me. Have you actually taken this apart? If it's easy to disassemble I'm not so worried because I can repair it if needed. I'm not really concerned about the PDF support so much because like you I think PDF is a horrible format for ereaders also. The main thing I'm looking for is the Secure eReader support, I buy a lot of books from Fictionwise.
Foxit has its own ebook store, but I have yet to actually buy a book. Everything I put on there was a bunch of "creative commons" stuff that I had been meaning to read for awhile ,so I don't really know how it all works with paid content yet.

As for the USB jack... this book is supposedly the exact same basic hardware as the cybook, so considering that bookeen users aren't bitching constantly about the USB inlet breaking, I would appear kind of a moot point so long as you're careful - I guess its just because it IS a weakpoint, and one I would never engineer into a device

but, like I said, it was either this or the stupid sony touch with ScreenGlare(TM) technology, so I went with this

I guess
fluorescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
waterkola
waterkola began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for your advice
waterkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
kenm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescent View Post
Foxit has its own ebook store, but I have yet to actually buy a book. Everything I put on there was a bunch of "creative commons" stuff that I had been meaning to read for awhile ,so I don't really know how it all works with paid content yet.
I think I read somewhere that the Foxit store is actually Fictionwise powered, so I believe it is the same as Fictionwise's DRM.

Tags
eslick, foxit