Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
fipple
fipple began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Suspicious "eBook Library" software?

Suspicious "eBook Library" software?

I have just bought a Sony Reader and like it.
However, I am deeply suspicious about the "eBook Library" software that comes with it ...
and I'm definitely not going to install it until I consult the experts in this forum.

One thing that stopped me in my tracks was some weird statements in the Quick Start
Guide.

The System Requirements include the words:

"This software is not supported by the following environments:

-Personally built computer or operating system
-Upgraded manufacturer-installed operating system
-Multi-boot environment"

What on earth is all that about?
Why wouldn't those things be supported?
Many people I know build their own computers!
It's a perfectly normal thing to do!
And multi-booting is quite normal and common.

The more I ponder the possible meanings and implications the more confused I become!

How would the software know whether I built or bought my computer?
Why would it want to know?
What would it do as a result of knowing?

Can anyone bring any computing knowledge to bear on this?
fipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fipple View Post
One thing that stopped me in my tracks was some weird statements in the Quick Start
Guide.

Can anyone bring any computing knowledge to bear on this?
I'm guessing it is just typical CYA (cover your a**) stuff. You'll have to install it if you want to buy ebooks from the Sony store. If you don't want to then don't install the software. You can move files to it using Windows Explorer / Finder just fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But you cannot create collections using Internet Explorer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I strongly suspect it's so Sony can turn around and say "no wonder you're having problems, your PC doesn't match the system requirements, therefore we're not going to help you unless you pay us far too much money".

Maybe I should have said cynically instead of strongly

I can confirm that the software does not appear to have any issues with being installed on a vm (VMWare's Fusion) on a Mac...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you cannot create collections using Internet Explorer.
Won't Calibre create collecitons?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fipple View Post
The System Requirements include the words:

"This software is not supported by the following environments:

-Personally built computer or operating system
All I can tell you is that my computer is a personally built system (well, actually built by the local computer store) and there is no problem with it and the Sony software. I see no reason not to install it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I haven't even put the cd in my drive, I've just been using calibre as I'd already been using it for my 500
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Won't Calibre create collecitons?

Dale
Yes indeed it does..
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing no other software will do is to prepaginate the LRF/LRX content as it is moved to the reader. This save a bit of battery and a bit of time as you don't have to have the reader do this every time you first open a book or change the font size.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote