Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2015, 03:32 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Calibre - Saving Library & Re Adding to Formatted PC again?

My pc is getting slow and I was thinking of wiping it
However I have got calibre just as I like it with columns etc.

How can I save my library and re add it again if I re format my pc?
As I can't remember how I set it all up years ago
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
My pc is getting slow and I was thinking of wiping it
However I have got calibre just as I like it with columns etc.

How can I save my library and re add it again if I re format my pc?
As I can't remember how I set it all up years ago
@book64 - see ==>> How do I backup calibre?

After installing latest calibre on the fresh system, restore the libraries and configuration data to the equivalent locations on the refreshed system.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@book64 - see ==>> How do I backup calibre?

After installing latest calibre on the fresh system, restore the libraries and configuration data to the equivalent locations on the refreshed system.

BR
Really sorry but what does that mean? lol
And will it save my columns Add ons etc?

Last edited by book64; 10-18-2015 at 05:20 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Did you read the link that BetterRed posted, book64? Which specific part of it don't you understand?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Really sorry but what does that mean? lol
And will it save my columns Add ons etc?
Columns will be stored together with the library, plugins are part of calibre's Application Data.

If you backup both, as BetterRed's link explains, then yes, everything will be saved.

If you're not sure what "that" means, you will have to tell us which particular "that" is giving you a problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has 2 KINDS of settings:

Per Library : Everything about that Library is stored WITHIN the Library (folder).. Every Library can be different

Per User: Are the overall Look and feel, overall operational that a user likes or needs. User device configs, News sources, plugins...
Only 1 per USER LOGON
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 AM   #7
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you read the link that BetterRed posted, book64? Which specific part of it don't you understand?
Hi yes i tried that a few months ago but it didnt save all my settings. Dont know what i did wrong
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
... but it didnt save all my settings...
Can you elaborate a little bit more on that? Otherwise it is hard to make any suggestions. Try to mention which ones you think are not saved, that'll help.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Hi yes i tried that a few months ago but it didnt save all my settings. Dont know what i did wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Can you elaborate a little bit more on that? Otherwise it is hard to make any suggestions. Try to mention which ones you think are not saved, that'll help.

Also what operating system and what software and/or commands you used to do the copying.

And if you ensured calibre was not running when you did the copying - that could screw things up I imagine.

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-19-2015 at 05:02 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Saying "it didn't work" doesn't help us figure out what went wrong.
Telling us the actions you took, will help us figure out what went wrong.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Si I have got Windows 10 now but cannot seem to import my exported Calibre folder. When I open it the files are there. But calibre says it is an empty folder.
But there are3 files in there.
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Um, you are using the Export/Import dialog, not the Add Books dialog... right?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
SGBELVERTA
SGBELVERTA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Followed thread and it makes no sense. I spent 2 hours looking at help and that was not helpful.
I need to get my 600+ books from PC A to PC B. What happened to cut and paste of the data from library 1 to library 2. I'm using Windows 7. If cut and paste doesn't work, why doesn't save and restore work from library 1 to library 2 work? And can we get some print screen of these two actions. I don't care about settings etc of the failing PC. I just want the basic book name an author to move across machines.

Cut and paste, copy and restore, and print screen were functions available in Windows 3.1 from 1992 and have been in every Window version since then. This shouldn't be hard.
SGBELVERTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't care about settings, just copy the entire Calibre library folder from the old machine to the new, then point Calibre at the appropriate library folder on the new machine. There is absolutely nothing even remotely difficult about this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGBELVERTA View Post
Followed thread and it makes no sense. I spent 2 hours looking at help and that was not helpful.
I need to get my 600+ books from PC A to PC B. What happened to cut and paste of the data from library 1 to library 2. I'm using Windows 7. If cut and paste doesn't work, why doesn't save and restore work from library 1 to library 2 work? And can we get some print screen of these two actions. I don't care about settings etc of the failing PC. I just want the basic book name an author to move across machines.

Cut and paste, copy and restore, and print screen were functions available in Windows 3.1 from 1992 and have been in every Window version since then. This shouldn't be hard.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ter-to-another

What part of the FAQ entry was unclear?
It describes two ways to move your data... a copy/paste way and a save/restore way. If you somehow failed to get it to work, but refuse to tell us why or how, then we cannot help you.