Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Jules
Enthusiast
Jules began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
E-Book looks horrible

I built a book using mobipocket creator, and I opened the prc file it created in mobipocket reader and the book looks horrible. There are crazy symbols, page breaks, etc. The whole thing is a mess. HELP!!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Jules -- I'll be glad to try and help. Can you send me the original file that you used and the MobiPocket file that was the output? You can send to my GMail address of ******

Update: e-mail address sent via PM

Last edited by Elsi; 07-16-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: removed e-mail address
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Jules
Enthusiast

Sure. My original file- I took a pdf and converted it to a word doc and used that. I'll send you the pdf, the word doc, and the prc file. Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Jules
Enthusiast

I tried email the files to you and the delivery failed due to an unfound email address. Is your address *************

Last edited by Patricia; 07-16-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Email address removed for reasons of spam-avoidance.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does your converted Word doc look OK? Unfortunately, PDF files often convert very poorly indeed, due to the fact that that they don't contain any "structural" information about text, such as paragraphs, sentences, or even words.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Jules
Enthusiast

my word doc looks terrible as well
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Is the original pdf mostly text? If so, you can send it to Amazon for conversion and it should work pretty well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
What did you use to convert to Word? There are many choices. While most formatting will be lost one way is to simply save the PDF as a TXT file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Jules
Enthusiast

I used DocSmartz PDF to Word Converter. I had tried before to submit a different book directly to Amazon, but there were quite a few problems with page breaks, which is why I was hoping mobipocket creator would take care of that.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Well, that's why the Mobi version looks bad - you can't expect a dreadful Word file to convert to a beautiful Mobi book, can you?

Unfortunately there is, in general, NO good way of converting PDF to anything else simply because, as I said before, the information is simply not there in a PDF file to allow it to be successfully converted. PDF is the worst possible choice of starting format to convert to anything, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the PDF is LEGAL, PM me and I'll give you my email address and you can send me the PDF and I can convert it using Adobe Acrobat Pro 8. It won't be perfect. But, you might find it better then your conversion. I'll convert it to Word DOC or RTF and HTML and send it back and you can proceed from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Jules
Enthusiast

OK. well unfortunately, I don't really have any other options. Our original book text file was created in a program called Adobe InDesign. I exported that as a pdf, but I could see if it gives me any other options for exporting. If not, then I guess I can't use this book. right?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
InDesign should allow you to output it as something you should be able to use. PDF is a bad idea when the result is going to be for the Kindle. In fact, PDF is a bad idea if you don't actually need it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Jules
Enthusiast

so, should i try exporting the indesign file as something other than a pdf, or do you want me to email you my pdf?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have converted a fair number of books and I've noticed that every single pdf conversion I've ever done has caused problems.
I usually have a couple of them on my desktop and spend the odd half-hour working on them when I've nothing better to do. But it can easily take 20-30 hours' work to get a well-fromatted novel out of a pdf file.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!