Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #796
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
And for those interested in Kodi: there no longer is any need to use tricks or external apps to get the FireTV or Stick to sideload *anything*. You can now get ES File Explorer for the FireTV line:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sidel...-tv/#more-9502

You can use it to download the apps from the Web directly and then install them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #797
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And for those interested in Kodi: there no longer is any need to use tricks or external apps to get the FireTV or Stick to sideload *anything*. You can now get ES File Explorer for the FireTV line:

You can use it to download the apps from the Web directly and then install them.
Neat! We who want it better grab it quick before THAT app gets taken out of the store.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #798
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Neat! We who want it better grab it quick before THAT app gets taken out of the store.
Not likely.
It's been there for years.
(The only new twist it was tweaked for the FireTVs.)
It's been a gateway to sideloading the Fire tablets since day one. And its ability to mount SMB server volumes is one reason I haven't minded the lack of an SD card all that much.
It was literally the first app I loaded on my tablet.

Btw, this is coming via ES File manager's browser itself.

http://www.aftvnews.com/es-file-expl...mazon-fire-tv/
It has a web browser and local media player, too.

I'll have to check and see if the browser can work with an online ebook reader, preferably the Kindle cloud reader.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-25-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #799
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Not likely.
It's been there for years.
(The only new twist it was tweaked for the FireTVs.)
I know, it's the first thing I put on my devices, going back to the Kindle Fire 1st generation. (Seems so long ago, those bygone days of 2011...)
But just like they did with Kodi itself isn't it the fear that they will make it un available to the TV devices if it seems to be undermining the consumtion of Amazon content?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #800
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I know, it's the first thing I put on my devices, going back to the Kindle Fire 1st generation. (Seems so long ago, those bygone days of 2011...)
But just like they did with Kodi itself isn't it the fear that they will make it un available to the TV devices if it seems to be undermining the consumtion of Amazon content?
If that were the case they wouldn't offer apps for Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, PBS, and the zillion youtube channel-apps...

Officially, the concern with Kodi is that there are repositories for plug-ins that enable access to pirate content. And while I'm sure Amazon knows there are plenty compelling reasons to install Kodi that don't require those plug-ins, they probably don't want to be constantly fielding complaints over it.

(Best guess is somebody in Hollywood complained when Kodi was available and they figured it wasn't worth fighting over it.)
Advert
Old 10-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #801
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post

Prime music is on the Fire TV now. They don't have Prime stations though.
Those are coming next week when the sticks start getting updated to FireOS 5.

http://www.aftvnews.com/prime-music-...r-the-fire-tv/
Old 11-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #802
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:

for a little help with this...

https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/20.../kodi-for-ftv/
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #803
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
This also works:

1- Go to the Amazon appstore and "buy" ES FILE MANAGER and send it to the Fire TV/Stick.
2- Install ES FILE MANAGER.
3- Go to "Favorites" and "add". Enter the Kodi website: Http://kodi.tv.
4- Download the latest version of Kodi. You will be prompted to install and later, open.
5- The same process can be used for FireStarter or any other app to be sideloaded.

No ADB, no PC needed.
(The same process works on the Fire Tablets to add FBReader, CoolReader, Nook, and Kobo.)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #804
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
This also works:

1- Go to the Amazon appstore and "buy" ES FILE MANAGER and send it to the Fire TV/Stick.
2- Install ES FILE MANAGER.
3- Go to "Favorites" and "add". Enter the Kodi website: Http://kodi.tv.
4- Download the latest version of Kodi. You will be prompted to install and later, open.
5- The same process can be used for FireStarter or any other app to be sideloaded.

No ADB, no PC needed.
(The same process works on the Fire Tablets to add FBReader, CoolReader, Nook, and Kobo.)
I am unable to install ES FIle Manager on either of my Fire Sticks.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #805
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I am unable to install ES FIle Manager on either of my Fire Sticks.
Have you enabled “Apps from Unknown Sources” on your Fire Stick?

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-enabl...fire-tv-stick/
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #806
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHunt View Post
Have you enabled “Apps from Unknown Sources” on your Fire Stick?

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-enabl...fire-tv-stick/
OK, I enabled it. I click on the app. It says "Download queued", followed by "download failed".
Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #807
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I enabled it. I click on the app. It says "Download queued", followed by "download failed".

How are you downloading? Pulling from the stick or pushing from the website?

I did this same install for a friend day before yesterday:
ES File explorer showed up on the Fire TV stick home screen listed among "TOP FREE".
Click.
Download.
Run.

I have on occasion seen purchases made on the website (for books and apps) take time to show up when pushed.

When in doubt, try rebooting...

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-11-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #808
wawasteele
Addict

Quote:

How are you downloading? Pulling from the stick or pushing from the website?

I did this same install for a friend day before yesterday:
ES File explorer showed up on the Fire TV stick home screen listed among "TOP FREE".
Click.
Download.
Run.

I have on occasion seen purchases made on the website (for books and apps) take time to show up when pushed.

When in doubt, try rebooting...
I rebooted. I found the app under the "Top Free". I then received the message, "ES File Explorer is incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device."
Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #809
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I rebooted. I found the app under the "Top Free". I then received the message, "ES File Explorer is incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device."
That...is new.

I wonder if it is going to be an issue with File Explorer and FireOS 5...
Good thing I still have ADB Fire on my PC.

Check this one, they still list it as compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4IHJ8M/?tag=aftvn-20#

http://www.aftvnews.com/total-comman...fire-tv-stick/

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #810
wawasteele
Addict

Thanks everyone for the help. Real life interfeared and I wasn't able to work on this for awhile. However, Total Commander did load!