Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #241
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ooo! Sort by cover brought up fron 2 books that needed a quick 'Generate Cover'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #242
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi Kovid,

thanks’ for the fix from post 206.

I found another one (sorry) on the new sort criteria series_sort and formats:

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 0.9.43
FEHLER: Nicht abgefangener Fehler: <b>KeyError</b>:'series_sort'

calibre 0.9.43 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-Vista-6.0.6002-SP2 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'Vista', '6.0.6002')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('Vista', '6.0.6002', 'SP2', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\sort.py", line 77, in sort_requested
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 390, in sort_by_named_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 417, in sort_by_named_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 421, in _sort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 312, in sort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 231, in multisort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 55, in ans
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 828, in multisort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 828, in <genexpr>
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 820, in sort_key
KeyError: 'series_sort'

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 0.9.43
FEHLER: Nicht abgefangener Fehler: <b>KeyError</b>:'formats'

calibre 0.9.43 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-Vista-6.0.6002-SP2 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'Vista', '6.0.6002')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('Vista', '6.0.6002', 'SP2', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\sort.py", line 77, in sort_requested
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 390, in sort_by_named_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 417, in sort_by_named_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 421, in _sort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 312, in sort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 231, in multisort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 55, in ans
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 828, in multisort
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 828, in <genexpr>
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 820, in sort_key
KeyError: 'formats'

Another point I saw was the new setup-dialog of cover grid. I am very pleased to see that you integrate a variable aspect ratio based of dimensions what I can setup now in x/y fields. To come back in the automatic setup I need to make a lot of clicks if I choose a bigger cover view. It is maybe a good idea to put in the tool-tip description a hint, that setting a value of 0 in the x/y field has the same effect.

Again, thanks for this very nice feature

Last edited by Divingduck; 08-13-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #243
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
False Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DoctorOhh: Works for me, can you post the full error message (Click Show details)
That was the full error message there is no "Show Details" button (see attached). This happens on both the old and new backends. With and without a virtual library enabled.

My stats:
Windows 7 64bit
Calibre 0.9.43.0 Portable (32 bit)
Virtual Library

Update: It even happens on older versions so this must be on my system somewhere. A new install in a new location puts it back right. I guess it is time to figure out what file in calibre settings was corrupt, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	109335  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #244
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DoctorOhh: Try running in debug mode (right click preferences button), that might give us more info.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #245
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Divingduck: series_sort and formats should not have been included in that menu, I will fix that. I will add a note about zero to the tooltips.
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #246
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@DoctorOhh: Try running in debug mode (right click preferences button), that might give us more info.
I went back to a backup from 10 days ago, same problem. Here is the debug log after opening calibre then trying to get the cover and metadata from the book. I don't see anything useful.

Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.42 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\whanthon\Copy\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings\plugins\fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack. txt
Started up in 15.22 seconds with 9830 books
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.90: 0.804) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 0.94: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 0.98: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 2.03: 1.009) run All IP addresses {'{846EE342-7039-11DE-9D20-806E6F6E6963}': [{'broadcast': '127.255.255.255', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], '{1419B4E2-DF4F-4DD4-B548-B4A8C5002542}': [{'broadcast': '10.80.201.255', 'netmask': '255.255.254.0', 'addr': '10.80.200.73'}]}

I'm curious what the fanfictiondownloader line is about I don't even have it installed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-13-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #247
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try setting the cover instead of getting the metadata, that should have details on the error message. I've added the code to get error details when reading metadata fails as well, but you will have to wait for the next build for that.

The fan fiction line implies you do have the plugin (or some other plugin that uses that file) installed, it doesn't come from calibre itself.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #248
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Try setting the cover instead of getting the metadata, that should have details on the error message.
What do you mean "setting the cover." The cover and metadata get added to books fine it is only when I try to set the cover or metadata via the icons to get it from inside the book do I get the error.

Since I rarely use this feature I have no idea when it stopped working.

Quote:
I've added the code to get error details when reading metadata fails as well, but you will have to wait for the next build for that.
I'll leave my setup alone and see what errors the next build might show.

Quote:
The fan fiction line implies you do have the plugin (or some other plugin that uses that file) installed, it doesn't come from calibre itself.
I may have installed and uninstalled it many moons back. Maybe JimmXinu has the code copied to one of his other plugins that I do have installed.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #249
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What do you mean "setting the cover."
Use the set cover button the one with the brown book on it instead of the set metadata button, the one with the blue i on it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #250
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Use the set cover button the one with the brown book on it instead of the set metadata button, the one with the blue i on it.
That is where I first saw the error. Same error for either button.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #251
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah but the get cover error message will have a show details button.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #252
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Yeah but the get cover error message will have a show details button.
Not on my system, they both have they exact same error I attached previously.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #253
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Not on my system, they both have they exact same error I attached previously.
OK, then you will have to wait till the next build.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #254
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
OK, then you will have to wait till the next build.
No problem.

If I must have this feature all I have to do is open a new install and point to my current library. Of course that means redoing all or most of my plugins, customizations, and tweaks.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #255
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The new disk cache for the grid view works very good. Very fast once the covers has been cached. Also a very nice touch to allow the user to open the cache folder and clear it.

I have found that virtual libraries together with the grid view is like a marriage made in heaven. Like switching between book shelves, only better. I am in the process of adding more virtual libraries...

I use Ubuntu 13.04 and I successfully moved the cache from my home directory, on a relatively slow mechanical HD, to SSD. I actually moved all the caches in ~ from the HD to the SSD, by adding the line...

Code:
XDG_CACHE_HOME=/opt/SpeedUpFolder/adoby/.cache
...to the the file ~/.pam_environment.

Works fine, and I feel that is a very good use of my SSD. I already have my metadata.db:s in the SpeedUpFolder.

Four minor suggestions that doesn't really change anything, mostly just to give calibre a little more "polished" feel and make it a little easier to use:

1. It would be nice if, when connected to a device, there was some hint that a book is present on the device. In the normal record view the "On Device" column can be used. In the grid view there could perhaps be a 1px lighter frame drawn around books that are on the device, or a slightly lighter background?

2. When the disk cache for the covers has been made invalid, after a change of cover sizes or the cache emptied, the grid view is slow because the images has to be cached again. It would be nice if the cache could be rebuilt automatically, perhaps by a low priority background job. Similar to the one that generates the backup OPF-files. Perhaps activated with a check box in preferences.

An alternative could be to precache the books adjacent to the current view. A page or two worth of books up and down, from the current view. Could perhaps be used to refresh the memory cache from the disk cache, and if it fails instead update the disk cache.

3. The +/- buttons in preferences to resize the cover while preserving aspect are very nice. When you get down to 0 size "automatic" returns, but it took me a little testing to discover that. It could be helpful with an extra button automatic/default or reset between the +/- buttons.

4. The cover grid was especially nice to use when used together with several virtual libraries. It makes it possible to very quickly change the grid to show a smaller subset of books. A tabbed interface to the grid view could enhance this a lot. Perhaps tabs at the top of the grid, that always are visible and possible to scroll left and right. And optionally to remove. To switch virtual library, just cklick on a tab.

Perhaps a checkbox when editing the virtual library: Show as tab in cover grid.

And the first tab "All" to disable virtual libraries.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-13-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote