Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
V for Vengeance, anyone?

I am currently reading Sue Grafton's latest books in the alphabet series. It is V is for Vengeance. Anyone else reading it (or completed?)

I like her books and find that she is a good writer, but I am not a big fan of the dual storylines that come together at the end. But so far I am happy with the plot and the attention to details she has generated, but I am only 1/4 through it and wondering how this whole thing goes together.

I do like that it is still 1988 in the novel. It brings me back to when I was in college then. I wonder if the later novels will have Kinsey watching Twin Peaks?
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I plan on reading it later in the year as it hasn't been that long since I finished U is for Undertow. The flashback device struck me as a copout to avoid writing scenes about Kinsey, although to be honest she leads a rather ... mundane life. Folks complain about her being "stuck" in the 80's like some sort of Peter Pan figure, but I don't mind that at all.

Rosie is a hoot - especially on audio!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I somehow got this book on my Kindle (dont remember ordering it). I have never read a Grafton novel but it was at the top of my recent list so I started reading it. I have found it well written with engaging characters. Not bad for the #22 novel with the same characters. (Some authors get bored and assume you know all the back-story).

I am only about 20% of the way through the book but I am enjoying it.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I have to admit I did plow through the first 10 or so " ...... is for......" books but found the fact that time never moved on and she seemed perenially 33 a bit lacking - especially as surely she is running out of months in the year to have all these cases!

I think the problem was reading them one after the other, maybe with a break the time factor wouldn't really count or play as large a part.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Seems like Grafton has been struggling to come up with stories in the last couple of years. Some are good, some are not so good. Reminds me of the "In Death" series by Nora Roberts.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I keep meaning to pick these back up. I left off over a year ago with L and have gotten distracted reading other stuff. I did always enjoy the books though, and I like that it's always the 1980s. I also like the descriptions of the California weather!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote