Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
One file per chapter vs. many chapters per file?

Prompted by a bug in the current Kobo firmware, in which the TOC only works properly when each chapter has its own file, I have been forced to rethink my approach to this problem.

After experiences with a few bought books with hundreds of individual files that were very slow and worked much better after I had merged a lot of those files, I had come to the conclusion that it was better to have fewer files with several chapters in them.

However, in the books I recently made I used an individual file for each chapter, ending up with many hundreds of files (poetry collections!) and the books work just fine, perhaps even a bit snappier than with fewer, larger files.

So what slows a book down? Is it many links inside files? Between files? What's your experience?

(Obviously, even if many small files should turn out to be the better solution, Kobo still must fix that bug. Sometimes you just need the option to have a chapter break without a page break, and that's just not possible if you have each chapter in its own file.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I would expect that a larger number of smaller files would perform much better. The amount of memory and CPU power needed to keep track of the metadata for a few hundred files is negligible. The amount of RAM and CPU overhead involved in rendering a large DOM tree is huge. So the smaller the HTML files are, the better I would expect the book to perform, assuming all else is equal.

If that isn't the case with some particular reader, I'd be curious why. It probably involves somebody accidentally implementing bubble sort or something equally atrocious. :-)
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^ +1

Plus, it's just easier to organize/edit your book if you have different files for different purposes... Cover, title, dedication, epigraphs, chapters, glossary, etc.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
many files also leaves memory for big images (and multi media)

Both Calibre and Sigil editors (those are just the ones I use) have search options that work over many files
Small files under the knife, the less chance of a BIG
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your replies.

So it really seems small files are better. I wonder what was wrong with those books that put me off the idea. Perhaps Sigil silently fixed something when I merged their files and that's why they were better after. I'll see if I can remember what those books were...
Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Small files also make it easier to have a consistent chapter break formatting. If you have several chapters in the same file, breaks within the file may end up being rendered differently from breaks from file to file. If you can keep full "groups" within each file (like parts of a book, or books of a trilogy), it may not matter but then you are also more likely to hit some memory limit in some reader, and be forced to break the file at unnatural places anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
One file per chapter is better because on the older ereaders each chapter can only be 300kb long. Plus on the Moon Reader, at the beginning of a file/chapter, the text begins on a new "screen/page".
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
Plus on the Moon Reader, at the beginning of a file/chapter, the text begins on a new "screen/page".
That is true on most readers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
One file per chapter is better because on the older ereaders each chapter can only be 300kb long. Plus on the Moon Reader, at the beginning of a file/chapter, the text begins on a new "screen/page".
Well, I wasn't thinking of monster files, but particularly about poetry, where you end up with very small files. But as I said before, my belief that fewer files were better was engendered by books which must have had other faults which I mistakenly attributed to their consisting of many small files.

Regarding the new file starting on a new page: Sometimes there are chapters you don't want to start on a new page. That is why more than one chapter per file must always remain an option.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not a chapter if it doesn't start on a new page. What you are talking abut are sections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a chapter if it doesn't start on a new page. What you are talking abut are sections.
Well, we can start splitting hairs, of course. For me, if it gets an entry in the TOC, it's a chapter.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I had one book where moon reader could not handle a long chapter and confusingly split it in two. It was one file in the source. To be fair this was a short stories collection so each chapter was actually a story. But some authors do write very long chapters, which break reader app ram limitations.
I have seen bookari get muddled also when there is not one file/chapter per toc entry. I think it was robin Hobbs ship of fools where she had nested headers , for chapters within sections, and bookari toc assigned page numbers that were off by one chapter. An edit to flatten the toc fixed it.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Well, we can start splitting hairs, of course. For me, if it gets an entry in the TOC, it's a chapter.
The cover most often gets a ToC entry. The copyright gets a ToC entry, sometimes the dedication gets a ToC entry. Sometimes maps get a ToC entry.

NONE of those are chapters. But by your incorrect assertion, they are chapters.

I have seen plenty of books where subsections get a ToC entry but are not chapters. A chapter starts it's own page and if size permits, should be all in one file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote