Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
Attached, although I can't see anything of interest in there myself.

I had better luck digging in "KoboReader.sqlite". I deleted the only record in the user table (with the help of the trusty SQLiteManager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqli...?source=navbar) and when after that I synced with Desktop it allowed me to sign in with my account... via Desktop only, though. On device I still can't sign out (button still greyed out) but at least it is signed in into my account.

I also deleted slideshow directory which got rid of the annoying slideshow -- now get just blank white screen when in sleep mode.

Still can't do Factory Reset, button still greyed out...
I haven't seen the line "demoModeTimeout=120000" before. That plus the slideshow sounds like it is an a demo mode. Delete that line. Everything else looks fine.

Is there is an "affiliate.conf" in the .kobo directory? If so, what is in it?

The files in the .kobo directory are: affiliate.conf, device.salt.conf, KoboReader.sqlite, Trolltech.conf, version. In .kobo/Kobo are: Analytics.conf, Kobo eReader.conf. Do you have anything else?

Deleting the row from the user table was a good idea. Removing the database file effectively does the same thing and is needed if the database was corrupt in some way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Attached, although I can't see anything of interest in there myself
I haven't seen this line used before:
Code:
demoModeTimeout=120000
Edit: Not the only one :-)

Some have asked for the ability to set their own sleep screen image. Perhaps this can be done by replacing the images in the slideshow directory and setting a suitable value for demoModeTimeout. I wonder what other effects it has, or if it uses much battery power?

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-15-2013 at 08:33 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
them
them can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't seen the line "demoModeTimeout=120000" before.
I missed that!

Quote:
Is there is an "affiliate.conf" in the .kobo directory? If so, what is in it?
Only this:

[General]
affiliate=Kobo

Quote:
The files in the .kobo directory are: affiliate.conf, device.salt.conf, KoboReader.sqlite, Trolltech.conf, version. In .kobo/Kobo are: Analytics.conf, Kobo eReader.conf. Do you have anything else?
No, that's it.
them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
them
them can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshesthem can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Some have asked for the ability to set their own sleep screen image. Perhaps this can be done by replacing the images in the slideshow directory and setting a suitable value for demoModeTimeout. I wonder what other effects it has, or if it uses much battery power?
If you want to experiment, I have attached the whole slideshow directory.
Attached Files
File Type: zip slideshow.zip (16.36 MB, 184 views)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
them

Quote:
I haven't seen this line used before:
Code:
demoModeTimeout=120000
Edit: Not the only one :-)
And that line wasthe cause of my problems!!!

I removed it and suddenly both SIGN OUT and FACTORY RESET buttons were enabled! Factory Resetting as I type!

THANKS!!!

Last edited by them; 07-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you want to experiment, I have attached the whole slideshow directory.
The slideshow directory and images appear to be present on all devices, I just never knew what they were for until now.

I'm going to have a play around with it tonight, but if there is no barrier to replacing the stock images with our own then I am sure there will be some who will find this feature useful.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard

Unfortunately the slideshow feature is probably not useful after all. Although it runs when I put the dvice into sleep mode, it is not actually running in sleep mode but has instead woken the device up, i.e. the touch screen is active.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #23
them

Quote:
Unfortunately the slideshow feature is probably not useful after all. Although it runs when I put the dvice into sleep mode, it is not actually running in sleep mode but has instead woken the device up, i.e. the touch screen is active.
That makes sense for a shop demo. Device would be hooked up to a power supply anyway, and displaying advertisements until someone picks it up. At that point it reverts to a normal operation until it is left alone, which causes it to go back into slideshow mode again.

If you want to use the device as some sort of a photo frame then you should expect to have it on a power supply anyway. Even with touch disabled to save battery, it still has to wake up relatively frequently to change the photo (e.g. 2 to 5 minutes, otherwise what's the point). However, touch screen does not necessarily need to work in the same mode. It is IR touch screen, so could have only some IR LEDs lit up infrequently to detect a touch anywhere on the screen -- it does not need to have the touch screen going full throttle as it doesn't care about detecting precisely where the touch is, only that a touch happened somewhere on the screen. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to check with a current meter.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
sheep
sheep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
I had this exact problem with a refurb mini. Fixed it by attaching it to the pc via usb, then deleting all the .conf files I could find. Then, after restart, the device was logged out and the factory reset option enabled again. Hit factory reset and all was well after that.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
poe
poe began at the beginning.

Could anyone send me the SD image for Kobo Mini??? thanks!!!!
poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
rehemiau
Enthusiast
rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

poe:
I managed to get a 4GB image for a Mini from fat265, but if you try hard it should be enough. The instructions to unbrick are here.
rehemiau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Getting in and out of demo mode is easy, no need to reset or flash the sd card
in the search bar select library and type in:

Code:
demo mode on
to disable the demo mode, in the search type in

Code:
demo mode off
This works for my Aura HD anyways.

look here for reference.

Last edited by freekobo; 09-08-2013 at 04:17 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote