Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
vlark
vlark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
1.2 Update?

There's a new 1.2.0 software update for the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight. Does anyone know the specifics of what has changed?
vlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The B&N website says "The NOOK Simple Touch Ver1.2.0 update provides minor system enhancements." I assume that means nothing noticeable although in that case I'm surprised they made it 1.2 rather than 1.1.X.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
succubus77
succubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic something

It's AWASOME !!!

1.2.0 ... this is the firmware we've all waiting for.

I've been using this new firmware about three days now, and I notice:

1. No more 'Page 1 of 1' problem ! YAY !!! Now we're talking something here.
2. No more 'disappearing shelves' ! Another YAY !!! I've tried powering off and on several times, and the shelves are still there ...

3. Fix formatting for some of my ebooks. Now the fonts and spacing for those particular books are following the setting.

4. Cleaner 'ghosting' and faster response.

One catch: On the bottom of main page where we usually saw 'Next Reading' is now displaying the books which our friends like. In my case, my FB friends. What annoys me: because most of them give 'like' to Bible, it turns up on my page! I mean, no offense, but who doesn't ? This is out of its purpose of promoting trending books ......

But, I'm very happy that BN finally put fix to all annoying bugs that last years ...

1.2.0 - they say minor fix. I say BIG fix.

P.S: After upgrading to 1.2.0, if you have currently-reading book with Page 1 of 1 problem, you'll still probably see them on the main page. Don't worry. Just tap to open it, and switch back to the main page. You'll see the page XX of XX adjusts accordingly.

Last edited by succubus77; 11-21-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: I need to add something.
succubus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the list. I hope #4 is that obvious to me. It's my biggest complaint about the Nook. I wish they would add a setting that allowed refresh every page like my other ereaders. Maybe I'll manually update instead of waiting for wireless.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Shelves will NOT disappear?

I think I've died. Or I've become senile......

Or both!

This is good news, indeed, for an ereader that I really like.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Hooray for the fix to formatting! I had one book that the font was so terrible that it just wasn't readable and now it is normal!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
succubus77
succubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic something

Just notice that the dictionary looks neater too. The font size of the dictionary also follows according to the size we set for the book.

Also we can now look for the other words ....

Last edited by succubus77; 11-22-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: just figure it out.
succubus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus77 View Post
P.S: After upgrading to 1.2.0, if you have currently-reading book with Page 1 of 1 problem, you'll still probably see them on the main page. Don't worry. Just tap to open it, and switch back to the main page. You'll see the page XX of XX adjusts accordingly.
I can confirm that this is true. Excellent!

Also, I agree that the dictionary looks better. As far as the ghosting, it never bothered me much anyway, but the text does seem to look clean on every page now - not just on most pages, as before (presumably because a refresh isn't done on every page).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I don't see any difference, plus I'm still getting page 1 of 1 on the home screen.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I don't see any difference, plus I'm still getting page 1 of 1 on the home screen.
I got the 1 of 1 at first, but after I opened and then closed the book, the next time I opened the book and then went to the home page it was correct.

My only complaint about this release is that it took them so long to release simple bug fixes. I guess they are too busy developing their color tablets to spare time on the ereaders.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I also got the 1 of 1 at first, but it corrected itself after I opened the book again, just as succubus77 said.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I updated 2 Nooks manually today. Haven't had a chance to really notice any differences.
FYI though, when the "installing software" they both looked like they got stuck about halfway, and stayed there for several minutes. One longer than the other. Long enough for me to get really worried something was wrong. Sigh of relief when they finally finished!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
vlark
vlark began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I updated 2 Nooks manually today. Haven't had a chance to really notice any differences.
FYI though, when the "installing software" they both looked like they got stuck about halfway, and stayed there for several minutes. One longer than the other. Long enough for me to get really worried something was wrong. Sigh of relief when they finally finished!
Thanks to everyone for your responses! I went ahead and downloaded the update and did a manual install; I had the same experience as Asawi with the long update process, but it evenually worked.

I noticed all the updates that were detailed above.

A few other things I noticed:

1) The fonts on the button bar (when you push the n button) seems smaller and smoother. Ditto with the in-book pop-up menu.

2) There's a new preference under the Shop menu in Settings. We now have the option to redeem Gift Cards and check Gift Card balances.

3) Under Social settings, there is a new option called Auto-friending, which will automatically add Facebook friends as Nook friends. This is enabled by default, so you might want to check your settings.
vlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Shelves problem

I've noticed that the shelves on my Nook HD+ will randomly disappear at times. When I first got it, they would vanish within minutes of me creating them. Now, they are stable. I just installed a new (unannounced) update for the HD+, so let's see if that fixes it.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
LOL... I never noticed any of the problems listed for the fixes. I don't use shelves, I don't use the dictionary, I never noticed the page 1 of 1 problem but I guess a faster response time will be nice!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.2.1, firmware, update