Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
PEDRO
Edge User

see PDF annotations in other programs?

First of all, let me introduce myself.
I am a 44 y old geriatrician from Barcelona, Spain and the happily owner of an Entourage Edge since September. I found this forums very helpful when decided if to buy or not and in my first steps with the device. Thank you very much all of you for that.
I use quite often the annotations and highlightings functions on pdf files, but I am not able to see them outside the Entourage Edge itself (for example in Acrobat Reader in a PC or Mac).
Is there any way I can achieve this? It would be very useful for corrections and other stuff on pdf articles
Thank you very much in advance

Pedro

PS: please note english is not my first lenguage, sorry for any mistakes....

Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

To ensure the annotations, etc., are retained, on the eInk side go to "Menu" - "File" - "Save As PDF"/"Email PDF". The resulting file should have the annotations included, although all the pages will probably be images (no longer text). How does this work for you?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

I have noticed that when saving an annotated PDF, it loses a lot of resolution (for lack of a better way to describe it). When I open the file on a PC, the letters seem sort of blurry and the overall sharpness has decreased significantly from the previous file. Is this and eDGe-specific issue, an Adobe issue, or something else? Is there any way that it can be improved?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
sordie
Edge User

As Boris mentioned, the annotated PDFs are saved as images, and your description is accurate in that they are saved at a lower resolution (kinda like the camera image of the eInk side looks fuzzy on the LCD side). Unless Entourage adds options for you to control the saved resolution, not much you can do.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

Thanks Sordie! I was aware that it is saved as an image, I just wasn't sure if this was something that enTourage could deal with (or, better yet, that I could deal with). Thanks for the info!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
alex_edge
Edge User

Is there any way to keep the annotations *and* return to the original page structure (rather than the PDF reflow, which puts about 1/4 of the material from the original page on each new page)?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Dr. T
Edge User

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question...

The file will remain in whatever format your annotated in. That is, if you annotate in reflow, then it will stay in reflow and will not be able to go back to the original structure (w/o losing annotations). Conversely, if you annotate a document, you can't switch to reflow without losing (or at least hiding) your annotations. Does that answer your question?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question...

The file will remain in whatever format your annotated in. That is, if you annotate in reflow, then it will stay in reflow and will not be able to go back to the original structure (w/o losing annotations). Conversely, if you annotate a document, you can't switch to reflow without losing (or at least hiding) your annotations. Does that answer your question?
It does for the most part. However, there's an additional element: When you're in annotation mode, you are unable to zoom in and out using the menu (the button probably still works, I'm not sure). So, in an attempt to get more content on fewer pages, I turned annotation off and zoomed out as much as it would allow. Then I turned annotation back on, and it automatically zoomed back in. When I save the annotated version of the PDF it becomes a 195 page document, with about a paragraph of text per page. The original document was 40 pages long and was a full page of text. I want full pages of text back. Hopefully that makes sense...

Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

So the export is occurring at the zoom level you annotated in, I guess? This would be a limitation of the current implementation. If you contact Tech Support directly, you can let them know your concern and they may be able to give you some feedback on this.