Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #61
Frawan
Frawan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
As far as I understand, at first Amazon dealt with the wireless service in other countries through roaming via AT&T. I'm not sure they actually have separate agreements with mobile services companies in all countries yet.
Yeah not sure about that either, but at least it should be free to download books etc already now from Denmark, roaming or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Gyldendal? Yes, I have gotten so used to English/American prices now... but then, before, I hardly ever bought books unless on sale anyway. I believe it will take a long time for the market to adjust.
Yes - just as an example, a current bestseller 'Sumobryder' is sold for 199 DKK in print, 289 DKK for the digital version. Talk about insane pricing.
http://www.g.dk/webapp/wcs/stores/se...BooksGyldendal

Wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole.
Will stick to the English literature for now, and borrow ebooks via libraries
Frawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #62
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frawan View Post
Yes - just as an example, a current bestseller 'Sumobryder' is sold for 199 DKK in print, 289 DKK for the digital version. Talk about insane pricing.
http://www.g.dk/webapp/wcs/stores/se...BooksGyldendal
What?!! That's bordering on criminal And insane
I hadn't bothered to check any prices, as I would not generally want to spend more 100-125 DKK on a book.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #63
HithNibth
Connoisseur
HithNibth has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung NC10 and Palm TX
I've just had a look at the UK Kindle site. There is just not the same choice as in paper books. Yes, I suppose that will change eventually but it's frustrating not to be able to get what you want - when you want it.

There are no new kindles to be had either - not on Amazonk UK anyway. Orders are being taken and will be fullfilled on a "first come, first served" basis - when, that is they have them to serve. (a September date is mooted). I downloade the Kindle for PC and a couple of poetry books I wanted in electronic format. I had an Amazon.com account apparently. I don't remember opening it but . . . anyways up - The change to Amazon UK was a split-second doddle, as was the download of the books to my desktop.

I was worried that having the Kindle desktop aboard my PC might mess up My Mobipocket reader, which I love - old as it is! It didn't. The only difference is that all my Mobi files have been changed to open with Kindle by default. I can still open my old mobi files in Moipocket Reader but I have to select Reader from the "open with" dialogue.

Another thing I noticed on the Kindle for PC was an "Archive" button. I downloaded a free book from Kindle UK. I went to the "My Kindle Content" folder (in My Documents) and deleted the free book. In the process old hamfingers here deleted one of the bought books as well. I closed the Kindle desktop and re-opened it. Both of the deleted books were held in the Archive! When I double clicked on the archived books they were downloaded again from Kindle UK!

Bri
HithNibth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #64
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Seeing as no one has answered this in the Kindle forum I thought I would ask this here:

Can you buy a book from the US kindle store but download it to your UK kindle? I ask because the US store has quite a few books I'd like to buy, but the UK store doesn't have them.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #65
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Seeing as no one has answered this in the Kindle forum I thought I would ask this here:

Can you buy a book from the US kindle store but download it to your UK kindle? I ask because the US store has quite a few books I'd like to buy, but the UK store doesn't have them.
If you can buy it, you can download it to your Kindle. However, many books in the U.S. store are geo-restricted and not available to European buyers.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It will be interesting to see how frequently Amazon update the UK price as the exchange rate changes.
Amazon seem to be changing the UK prices almost constantly, so long as publishers haven't specified a Sterling price.

For example, my edition of Kim was £0.75 when the UK store opened. It's now £0.71.

Although, oddly enough, the exchange rate doesn't seem to have changed recently.

I'm happy. I still get paid $0.35 per copy sold, so if Uk customers get it a few pence cheaper than before, I'm fine with that.

Although if the exchange rate changes and it starts to cost UK customers more than £0.75, I might switch it to having a Sterling set price (of £0.75, the minimum I can set). I don't know if it's possible to unset a sterling price, so I'm not going to try it just yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote