Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
ishguy
ishguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (desire), iPod Touch, iPhone
Interested in ebooks readers for dyslexics

Hi everybody

I haven't got an ebook reader yet but I use a screen reader (read aloud) on my laptop. I am waiting for something like this in an ebook reader. The voice on the kindle is much too slow and crappy!

IG
ishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hi ishguy! Is the purpose of having a reader with a "read aloud" feature intended to let you read along with the voice? Or do you need it for portable use for books, magazines, newspapers etc. that cannot be found from audible.com or other audible book sources?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi IG and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
ishguy

Hi Donnageddon

The purpose of the read aloud function for reading impaired people is to read along to augment the visual input. The best screen readers also highlight the text as it reads it.

IG
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
King Antonius
Ruler of the lands
King Antonius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Limited Edition Blue
Have you thought of getting the iRiver Story? It has an MP3 function. You could get an audiobook playing in the background of the ebook you are looking at? I'm dyslexic, and that was one of my main points for wanting a Story, but I decided to just get the PRS-300 and stick audiobooks on my iPhone.
King Antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishguy View Post
Hi everybody

I haven't got an ebook reader yet but I use a screen reader (read aloud) on my laptop. I am waiting for something like this in an ebook reader. The voice on the kindle is much too slow and crappy!

IG
I have found out that sometimes color can help someone with dyslexia read without issue. Green is a good color for that. Try reading green text on your computer and see how well it works.

You could also try overlaying green cellophane and see what happens.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
King Antonius
Ruler of the lands
King Antonius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Limited Edition Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have found out that sometimes color can help someone with dyslexia read without issue. Green is a good color for that. Try reading green text on your computer and see how well it works.

You could also try overlaying green cellophane and see what happens.
Different colours help different people. Alot of people with Dyslexia have a thing called Irlen Syndrome.

"Scotopic sensitivity syndrome, also known as Irlen Syndrome and Visual Stress Syndrome, approximating in some ways to Meares Irlen syndrome, and 'Visual Stress', refers to visual perceptual disorder(s) affecting primarily reading and writing based activities." (Wikipedia)

I found with myself, blues and greens make it harder for me to read, and actually cause me migranes. However, with me, grey overlays help so much I can read for hours without eye strain. This is something I personally love about the ereaders. Grey screens
King Antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
The Kindle voice CAN be sped up, although I too find the highest speed just a little too slow too. The male voice seems better than the frmale and the enunciation isn't all htat bad (despite my complaints in another post).

I do wish it could be sped up a tad more and maybe underline the word that is being read too.

I too am dyslexic and really appreciate my Kindle DX's read-to-me feature. I hope Amazon does not cow-tow to the publishers and remove it.

Remember , it's not lisdexic to be easy
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
ishguy

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm glad there are other dyslexics on this forum. My problem is not entirely visual though. For me it is auditory processing that makes it really hard. Reading on the computer is the best solution for me at the moment but I hope that it will change. As a grad student I need to do a lot of reading often 400 pages a week or more.

I sometimes use Kurzwiel 3000 to make audiobooks for my iPhone. The text comes up as lyrics but does not autoscroll or highlight. This is fine for pleasure reading but for school I need the whole package.

Last edited by ishguy; 12-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
ishguy

jswolf and king antonius

Eye strain is a big issue for me and colour overlays do help but finding the right distance from the screen works too. It changes constantly and if I'm not careful it triggers migraines in me too.