Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Several Free Copies of April Webscription Ebooks

I'm going to the buy the April 2009 webscription at webscription.net tomorrow. This is a package of seven books from Baen Books, four new books and three back catalogue books.

When I buy them, I can give one free copy to anyone who hasn't already got a webscription.net account. And whoever gets that free copy, can also give a free copy. And so on.

So, if you send me a private message with your email address you may get a free copy of the February books. The first person certainly will. Remember — you must not already have an account at webscription.net.

I will pass the list of extra email addresses on to the first person on the list, and hopefully they'll give a free copy to the top address, and pass on the remainder of the addresses, etc.

For those unfamiliar with webscription.net, it's the web site Baen Books and other publishers use to sell their ebooks. Despite the name, webscription months involve a one-off payment. The 'scription' bit is because the books get released in parts during the months before publication, with the full books only becoming available a couple of weeks before the print books reach the shops.

(Half the text becomes available in the the third month before publication, three quarters in the second month before publication, and the full text in the month before publication, between the 15th and 20th of that month.)

The April books are already fully available.

See
http://www.webscription.net/p-949-w2...scription.aspx
for details of April books, which are:

Longeye by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Contact with Chaos by Michael Z. Williamson
The Game of Stars and Comets by Andre Norton
Bolo Brigade by by William H. Keith Jr. created by Keith Laumer
When the Tide Rises by David Drake
Transhuman by Mark L. Van Name and T. K. F. Weisskopf
The Ruby Dice by Catherine Asaro
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
GhostWolf
GhostWolf began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Hi

I would love to get a copy!
GhostWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I will pass the list of extra email addresses on to the first person on the list, and hopefully they'll give a free copy to the top address, and pass on the remainder of the addresses, etc.
My list is up to six or seven already, and I'm off to bed. I can't see the chain of free copies working indefinitely, so the earlier you ask, the more likely you are to get a copy.

I'll be putting my order in tomorrow morning, in about 10 hours from now.

Oh – in case anyone's worried, Webscriptions do know that such chains are possible, and are happy about them. After all, the whole point is to get new people signed up the the webscriptions site.

Once people get signed up, I think the vast majority buy some of the many other wonderful, inexpensive, ebooks that are there – Baen's entire catalogue for the past ten years, along with a fair sample from other SF/Fantasy publishers.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

My order's in. The first person on the revised list (gift webscriptions can't go to people already registered at webscriptions) should have their gift subscription email now. If all goes well, the others on the list will get theirs as each person on the list claims their gift webscription.

Eight people in total on the list.

Quote:
I'll be putting my order in tomorrow morning, in about 10 hours from now.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Thanks again, Books received and list forwarded
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Question

Quote:
When I buy them, I can give one free copy to anyone who hasn't already got a webscription.net account. And whoever gets that free copy, can also give a free copy. And so on.
Where did you find that out? I am planning to purchase the April set around the first of April and would be happy to do the same but I'd like to be sure that it was OK first.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I can confirm that it is possible with their online shop.
I got a free Webscription last month (Thanks wonderboy !), and I could have put an email address there after using my coupon.

And I'm not surprised that they would be happy with this system, as all of their declarations point in that direction.
EDIT : and that's a good part of why they are so much appreciated.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm interested! To whom should I send my email address?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm interested! To whom should I send my email address?
I'd suggest you send a private message to NormHart. The chain from my purchase is up to about nine people, and I have my doubts that it'll manage to get to the end, given the possibilities of spam traps and bad email addresses.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Where did you find that out? I am planning to purchase the April set around the first of April and would be happy to do the same but I'd like to be sure that it was OK first.
Arnold Bailey runs webscriptions.net, and I'm pretty sure he's mentioned that it's OK to pass on a gift from a gift webscription in a post on Baen's Bar. I've sent him an email to get confirmation, and I'll let you know what he says.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I've sent him an email to get confirmation, and I'll let you know what he says.
Arnold says:
As long as they realize it's got to be addresses that aren't in our
database. And we do record IP address for people who try to use multiple
emails addresses.
So - feel free to set up your own chain, remembering that this is a way to introduce new people to webscriptions.net, not a way for existing customers to get free ebooks.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If anyone sets up a new chain, I'd be interested in it. Assuming someone sets one up before I buy a webscription anyway
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Arnold Bailey runs webscriptions.net, and I'm pretty sure he's mentioned that it's OK to pass on a gift from a gift webscription in a post on Baen's Bar. I've sent him an email to get confirmation, and I'll let you know what he says.
Ok... I am still not clear on how to give a gift webscription. The was mention of a coupon... haven't seen anything like that in my dealings with webscriptions, could be due my practice of purchasing multiple months and recent issues with my email I suppose.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIR you can gift only when you buy a not yet released Webscription bundle. The link should be in the order confirmation email.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
AFAIR you can gift only when you buy a not yet released Webscription bundle. The link should be in the order confirmation email.
Ah that would explain it. I normally purchase after the first of the month. I'll take a look at my finances and see what I can do. Probably next month in all likelyhood so don't bombard me with email addy yet. I'll follow pdurrant's method and post when I have the link.