Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Thank You, MobileRead!

In the past year that I've been following the Kindle, waiting until it was "time" for me to buy, I thought I'd learned a lot about electronic books and the Kindle. However, I was sooo wrong!

Because of all the coverage about the Kindle 2, I found you here, and have learned more in this past week or so than in the entire previous year. I didn't know there were sources other than Amazon for content, much of which is free. Didn't know that I could "check out" ebooks from libraries. Hadn't really considered how I could fully utilize the reader for more than just one at a time reading of books and periodicals. I'm really looking forward to learning more and reading more, thanks to you.

I also want to thank you for such a positive forum. There are a lot of spirited discussions here, but (as I should have expected from book lovers), it's fairly civilized and at least taking a more educated but differing viewpoint approach rather than personal attacks.

It's also nice to have a forum where, while spam is actively discouraged, it's possible for people who have affiliate relationships with relevant companies (such as me with Amazon) to have a "tasteful" link to the companies in our signatures so we may share a bit of the benefit.

I'm looking forward to this forum becoming one of my most important non-business must-reads (pardon the pun).
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Burbunny. Looks like you've been thrown into your "Learning Place". Did you hope for your "Laughing Place"? That's here too!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Welcome Burbunny. Looks like you've been thrown into your "Learning Place". Did you hope for your "Laughing Place"? That's here too!
Laughing Place? If you mean am I getting a few good giggles from the interactions here, most definitely! But if it's something else, I always welcome directions to more laughter in my life.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
A warm welcome here at Mobileread!
Quote:
But if it's something else, I always welcome directions to more laughter in my life.
I think you haven't discovered the Lounge yet, have you?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
BurBunny
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
A warm welcome here at Mobileread! I think you haven't discovered the Lounge yet, have you?
I'd seen it sitting waaay down at the bottom of the index, but hadn't yet pulled up a chair for a sit. I'll have to head on down!
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
I'd seen it sitting waaay down at the bottom of the index, but hadn't yet pulled up a chair for a sit.
It's on the bottom to protect people from wasting too much time there Anyway, enjoy yourself!
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Laughing Place? If you mean am I getting a few good giggles from the interactions here, most definitely! But if it's something else, I always welcome directions to more laughter in my life.
Your chosen name "BurBunny" sounded to me very similar to "Brer Rabbit" and the reference was, an apparently obscure, reference to his story about his "Laughing Place". The lounge does provide a lot of laughs but the various forums also provide a rich education as well.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
BurBunny
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Your chosen name "BurBunny" sounded to me very similar to "Brer Rabbit" and the reference was, an apparently obscure, reference to his story about his "Laughing Place". The lounge does provide a lot of laughs but the various forums also provide a rich education as well.
Perhaps similar sounding, but much different in origin for the names. Bur is short for "Amber" (since "ber" phonetically sounds too much like "bear"), and the bunny portion... well, it's a long story having to do with arachnophobia, young love, and the early days of Compuserve CB in the 80s with a young woman known as "Bunners" and men on the gay channel who misunderstood the meaning of her "handle"...

As to the literary reference, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as obscure to someone who had read the Uncle Remus books more recently than three decades ago. It might be time for me to revisit those classics tales.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hey if you need some help saving for a kindle, try using the swag bucks search engine. It's powered by google and ask.com, and you get "bucks" for searching. You can use the bucks to get amazon gift certificates. It would take less than a month to earn a $5 gift certificate using the engine every day. It's not much, but it might help:
http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=121492
(if you click this link, yes I get credit. It is a good site though)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Welcome to the forum, Amber. You will definitely find lots of information, and many chuckles here. Anytime you need ebook or ereader information, just post and someone will come to the rescue. You'll get addicted like many of us.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
BurBunny
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hey if you need some help saving for a kindle, try using the swag bucks search engine. It's powered by google and ask.com, and you get "bucks" for searching. You can use the bucks to get amazon gift certificates. It would take less than a month to earn a $5 gift certificate using the engine every day. It's not much, but it might help:
http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=121492
(if you click this link, yes I get credit. It is a good site though)
Thank you for the link! I'm not familiar with them, but will check them out for browsing rewards. I've found, however, for shopping rewards points, that mypoints.com is good for me and my shopping style. Especially since it now has Amazon rewards cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Welcome to the forum, Amber. You will definitely find lots of information, and many chuckles here. Anytime you need ebook or ereader information, just post and someone will come to the rescue. You'll get addicted like many of us.

cheers
Already partially there! Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Thank you for the link! I'm not familiar with them, but will check them out for browsing rewards. I've found, however, for shopping rewards points, that mypoints.com is good for me and my shopping style. Especially since it now has Amazon rewards cards.

Already partially there! Thanks for the welcome.
Mypoints spammed the crap out of me, I didn't like that
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
BurBunny
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Mypoints spammed the crap out of me, I didn't like that
Can definitely understand that. But it's been richly rewarding for me, so I put up with it.

Nice that there are now so many different types of rebate and rewards programs so we can find what best suits our style of surfing, shopping and reading.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Somebody explain about Hugo and Lefty. (I explained yesterday that they are a pair of intelligent and brave socks, and I think the guy got mad at me for lying.)
Then point her to Vera and Harv - Parts I and II.

Another way people have mentioned getting Amazon cards is to take coins to Coinstar machines. It doesn't keep a fee if you get your coins changed to an Amazon gift card instead of changing them for folding money.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Another way people have mentioned getting Amazon cards is to take coins to Coinstar machines. It doesn't keep a fee if you get your coins changed to an Amazon gift card instead of changing them for folding money.
I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote