Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Like the TV series, but really like the books. Still think it's crazy that I paid less for the audiobooks than what they're charging for the eBooks (although at least a bunch have finally dropped to $9.99 instead of $12.99).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Like the TV series, but really like the books.
Agreed. The books seem to be a little lighter--more humorous at times--than the show. They've made Walt's character a lot darker on TV I think. No less interesting or anything, just darker. They cover some of the same territory, but I've found there's enough differences for me to be able to keep the books separate from the show... and enjoy both for what they have working for them.

The King Ropes hat was a great touch in the latest episode, I thought. Been there, done that, got a hat myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #33
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Now I have to find out about this 'King Ropes hat' -- I have the TV episode saved to watch later, and just downloaded the new book.

Thank you, Apache, for posting about Serpent's Tooth. I might have missed it but for subscribing to this thread!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #34
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Your welcome. I think it is a very good read and I am almost done.

Oh well I will be reading The Resistance Man next. It is the newest Bruno Chief of Police. It will not be available in the US until February 25, 2014. I love my Amazon UK account for just such situations.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #35
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Just came across this thread and I'm still stunned that Lou Diamond Phillips got a role that isn't "generic sheriff in a SyFy original movie".

And you've interested me enough to check out the books. And I might check out the series when it shows up streaming somewhere.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
And you've interested me enough to check out the books. And I might check out the series when it shows up streaming somewhere.
Season One is on Netflix now.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Season One is on Netflix now.
Thanks for the tip!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Season 2 just started two weeks ago this Monday on A&E.
Apache
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I need to read the books. I've only watched the series and I like it. The acting rises above average to me.

I do wish the each-week crimes were at least sometimes multi-episode arcs, like some of the other plot lines. It bothers me that *every* episode starts-and-wraps up an investigation with a bow on it. I know most crime drama shows do this but it still rubs me the wrong way.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

See, I'm the opposite. That each episode is largely self-contained (with a few over-arching themes) is a huge plus for me. Same with the books.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #41
Apache
Readaholic

The newest book is the best yet in my opinion. I just finished it. Now I may go back and read the others again.
Apache
Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #42
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Just came across this thread and I'm still stunned that Lou Diamond Phillips got a role that isn't "generic sheriff in a SyFy original movie".

There is another "law and order" American Indian actor that you might be combining and confusing with Lou. This one I actually like better than Lou.

I will leave it to you to ferret him out, "jr. Detective'.

Apache, please no hints.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Lou's getting a bit better with age, I think. Especially in supporting roles where the character is, by nature, somewhat ... terse.

Maybe not who I'd envision for the perfect Henry Standing Bear, but he's not butchering the role by any means. He's been pleasantly (and surprisingly) competent, I think.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Lou's getting a bit better with age, I think. Especially in supporting roles where the character is, by nature, somewhat ... terse.

Maybe not who I'd envision for the perfect Henry Standing Bear, but he's not butchering the role by any means. He's been pleasantly (and surprisingly) competent, I think.
I have to agree. I was not happy when they announced him for the part. But, he does a decent job.
Apache
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #45
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I recently discovered this show and I love it. Most of all the location, the whole cowboy thing . I find Harry's lack of contractions annoying but I assume it's the character.

Is the show just based on the books, or is each episode a dramatization of a book? Are there enough books for several seasons?
Also, if you read all the books, does Longmire get to have a thing with the girl deputy?
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote