Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Blank pages before chapter breaks on iPad?

I have a somewhat similar problem, but it's not related to conversion or even calibre so feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place. I've asked the same question in the ePub and iPad forums without any replies.

The last several ebooks I have prepared validate with FlightCrew and ePubcheck, and work well on my Sony and Kindle. But there is a blank page/screen between each chapter/page break on my iPad though no such blank page shows on the Sony or Kindle.

I see that there is an iPad output option when converting ebooks. What advantages would that have for ebooks for iPads over using the same ePub as I do for my Sony?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The last several ebooks I have prepared validate with FlightCrew and ePubcheck, and work well on my Sony and Kindle. But there is a blank page/screen between each chapter/page break on my iPad though no such blank page shows on the Sony or Kindle.
I looks like an update to ibooks last March caused this unique blank page everytime "page-break-before: always" is used in the CSS. Check out this thread (staring around post 6) for more info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Dwanthy, I appreciate you taking the trouble to give me this information. But I'm afraid I'm not sure if this is the problem

Most of my chapters etc are in a div.section. This is the CSS for them

div.section {
margin: 0;
padding: 1em 0 0 0;
page-break-after: always;
} /* Sets top margin and page break for preface and chapters. */
div.section h2 { line-height: 120%; }

As you can see I use page-break-after: always;

I will experiment with page-break-after: auto; and see if that helps.

PS. Could you comment on the benefits of using iPad as a conversion output format please? I just use the same ePub format for an iPad as I use for my Sony.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-04-2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could you comment on the benefits of using iPad as a conversion output format please? I just use the same ePub format for an iPad as I use for my Sony.
No idea what the difference is beyond the following:

Images are resized according to Output Profile selected.

Sony output profile adds some voodoo while fetching news.

iPad profile apparently removes or changes the "page-break-before: always" during conversions to eliminate the blank pages seen when viewing ePubs using iBooks.

Try converting a book and select the iPad profile to see what happens.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@alex

You keep using page-break-after in your posts
Walt's use
page-break-before

Calibre commonly uses
page-break-before: always
in the <body> style
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@alex

You keep using page-break-after in your posts
Walt's use
page-break-before

Calibre commonly uses
page-break-before: always
in the <body> style
Yes, I do use page-break-after; in the 40+ ePubs I have done. And they all work well on my Sony, and when I convert with calibre on my Kindle.

I haven't tried page-break:auto; yet to see if this stops the extraneous blank screens on m iPad.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I generally avoid using any kind of CSS for breaks, it's unreliable at best. Splitting chapters into their own files, as well as the other sections seems by far the nicest, it also makes for a neat epub at the end of the day.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Serpentine. I'll think about that option.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
I generally avoid using any kind of CSS for breaks, it's unreliable at best. Splitting chapters into their own files, as well as the other sections seems by far the nicest, it also makes for a neat epub at the end of the day.
I prefer this also.
Smaller (sections) files load and render faster.
Maximum size sections can have large delays while loading and the rendering
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote