Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ see what I mean?

thanks for the info and cheers!
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I fail to see the appeal of cloud storage for ebooks. I keep all of my books on SDHC cards which are 32GB. I haven't even filled up one yet, and if I do it is easy enough to simply buy another one. I just can't understand why anyone would actually want to rely on a network connection just to get a book you already own, they should be kept locally in my opinion.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ For me, its a flexibility/availability option.

Cloud storage for books means I can access my books from anywhere in some fashion or another, using the device or other computers, anytime I want, provided I got 'net access.

Pretty invaluable IMO, if one appreciates that sort of thing.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
locally where? What if your sd card is in device A .... and then you find yourself unexpectedly stuck at the DMV with only your iPhone and wishing you could read your book while you wait?

But for me one of the main attractions is that it is offsite back-up. If my computer and my digital readers and all my sd cards are horrifically destroyed in a tornado or a house fire, I will have the ability to restore my entire reading library as soon as I come out of my shocked daze and get my hands on a new reading device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
> I fail to see the appeal of cloud storage for ebooks. <

For me the value is 'no-brainer' backup. My books automatically sync to the cloud, and since I don't entirely trust the cloud, I have that sync to two other devices.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
It's a trade-off. Cloud fans look at the positives and underplay the negatives, while the non-fans do just the opposite.

Cloud cons -
Have to be in range of wireless connection to get at your data.
Often have to pay monthly fee for connectivity (3g/4g).
Give up privacy. (If you think that your activities aren't being reported in aggregate to marketers....)
You may (or may not) be paying an extra recurring fee for the storage.
You run risk of data loss through provider bankruptcy. (Don't snicker, it's already happened to a early cloud photo storage startup.)

Cloud pros -
Auto off-siting of data.
Flexibility of device access.
Centralized data storage.

Personally, I don't feel the advantages are worth the negatives, but that is a personal choice. I prefer to have privacy, save money, and be able to "off-net" whenerever needed. I believe there is something called a "safe deposit box" for secure off-site storage (and it provided a Faraday Cage, as well...)

And I won't buy any gadget without removeable storage...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Indeed, good points all IMO, especially re: the cons of cloud storage. Still, in my case, as much as I value my privacy, I am prepared give a wee bit in exchange for the access convenience and redundancy.

Disagree on wifi being required though. I connect my Kindle to multiple PCs/laptops via USB and grab my stuff that way, so only need web access in general. Yes, I have a Wifi device, so in my case, whatever I choose at the moment is fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I fail to see the appeal of cloud storage for ebooks. I keep all of my books on SDHC cards which are 32GB.
Kindles don't have card readers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
One more benefit for cloud storage (with OPDS): A nice organization whereby I can search by tags, series, author, etc. and reread the summary/blurb when deciding what to read next.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Technically, Amazon does do this for books purchased from them. You can access them from any device that has the Kindle app on it, from wherever you are (assuming internet access).
Not just Amazon. Most of the eBook retailers do it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not just Amazon. Most of the eBook retailers do it.
So far, I've been able to re-download every book I purchased from Amazon & B&N. Not so with Fictionwise, several of my ebook purchases are no longer available for download even though the titles still appear on my bookshelf. A true bummer, as I had failed to download them immediately after purchase.

I'm not going to trust anyone to hang onto my data for me any more.... I have multiple backup schemes, at home and cloud based.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm not going to trust anyone to hang onto my data for me any more.... I have multiple backup schemes, at home and cloud based.
That's the best way to look at things IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I plan to use Amazon's Cloud to store mostly audiobooks; and possibly a few videos for vacation. I doubt I'll ever use it for ebooks or music. My Kindle has more than enough room to store an ample assortment of ebooks; and if that isn't enough, I can always tap into the Kindle Cloud to retrieve more. As for music, my iPod touch can deliver cloud music via AOL Radio, TuneIn Radio, Radio.com, Pandora, etc, anytime I'm near WiFi.

Clouds are nice, and I've been using them for years.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The problem with cloud storage is that few people really need or want clouds and they are so damned big.

Lets say you have a 400 acre farm and you stack three giant tupperwares on it. Just getting the clouds into them is a feat in itself, and if the lids aren't on tight then the clouds tend to leak out. And then there is the safety issues with lightning and what not.

I really think it is best just to enjoy clouds when they come.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #30
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For some reason I've never thought of using Calibre Portable in conjunction with Dropbox. Great idea.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote