Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
hyperstruct
hyperstruct began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Difference jailbreak.zip/rupor-jailbreak.7z & minimal-root-zeam.zip/rupor-minimal.7z?

I upgraded my T2 to 1.0.04.11081 then used rupor-rescue.7z to enable recovery mode and make a backup. So far so good.

For the jailbreak and minimal root install steps, however, different guides point to different packages, namely: jailbreak.zip vs rupor-jailbreak.7z and minimal-root-zeam.zip vs rupor-minimal.7z

update.img is identical in rupor-jailbreak.7z and jailbreak.zip whereas new.mmcblk2p2.img is different and apparently more recent in rupol-jailbreak.7z. I used jalibreak.zip for the jailbreak step. I haven't proceeded to the minimal install step yet.

Can someone please enlighten me about the differences between these two sets of packages? Are they equivalent? Or is one current and the other obsolete?
hyperstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
rupor-jailbreak is different from porkupan's original jaibreak in one thing ONLY - it incorporates rescue/restore functionality - so no SD card is later needed to produce full backups, restore from them and enter the device via terminal in recovery mode. Everything else is exactly the same.

minimal-root-zeam was quickly produced by porkupan right after device was "unlocked" and contains the usual set of Android applications - SuperUser, Zeam launcher, Coor Reader e.t.c. - no updates to this package were ever issued and none are planned. Porkupan now recommends rupor-minimal instead and uses it himself.

rupor-minimal took some time to develop - along with root functionality it has set of changes to original Sony apps (functionality similar to T1's AMR) hopefully making Sony's firmware a bit more functional. It does not contain any additional 3rd party software for reading books, etc. - so its called "minimal".
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
hyperstruct

This is very useful, thank you. Just a couple more questions:

First, would running the jailbreak step multiple times pose any problem? In my case I'd want to re-run it with rupor-jailbreak.7z even if I ran it already with jailbreak.zip because of the extra, very wanted functionality.

And second, is any English-language guide considered "authoritative" at the moment? While I'm going through the rooting process, I'm also writing (Linux) scripts to make it repeatable and as little error-prone as possible, as well as detailed notes. Notes might eventually grow into a guide if that's useful and doesn't duplicate anyone else's work.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperstruct View Post
First, would running the jailbreak step multiple times pose any problem? In my case I'd want to re-run it with rupor-jailbreak.7z even if I ran it already with jailbreak.zip because of the extra, very wanted functionality.
There is no harm in installing jailbreak more than once, you just would like to minimize number of flashes in general I think.

Quote:
And second, is any English-language guide considered "authoritative" at the moment? While I'm going through the rooting process, I'm also writing (Linux) scripts to make it repeatable and as little error-prone as possible, as well as detailed notes. Notes might eventually grow into a guide if that's useful and doesn't duplicate anyone else's work.
I am not aware of any "authorative" English guide at this point (not that I was looking ) Previously mobilread WiKi for T1 was used by people - most of the information there is still valid I think.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
hyperstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
rupor-jailbreak is different from porkupan's original jaibreak in one thing ONLY - it incorporates rescue/restore functionality - so no SD card is later needed to produce full backups, restore from them and enter the device via terminal in recovery mode. Everything else is exactly the same.
Thanks again for your patience. Regarding this bit: I updated the reader with rupor-jailbreak, switched off, took out the SD card, then tried to boot into recovery mode like I've done so far (HOME+MENU button—can't use ebook_msc as I'm on Linux), but the reader simply cycles on the "Opening Book" screen a few times before resuming normal boot. I assume it's looking for the "OS Firmware" directory on the (absent) SD card and, not finding it, going on with business as usual. Should I enter recovery mode differently after flashing rupor-jailbreak?
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
hyperstruct

Quote:
Thanks again for your patience. Regarding this bit: I updated the reader with rupor-jailbreak, switched off, took out the SD card, then tried to boot into recovery mode like I've done so far (HOME+MENU button—can't use ebook_msc as I'm on Linux), but the reader simply cycles on the "Opening Book" screen a few times before resuming normal boot. I assume it's looking for the "OS Firmware" directory on the (absent) SD card and, not finding it, going on with business as usual. Should I enter recovery mode differently after flashing rupor-jailbreak?
Ah, I suppose that's what rupor-enable-adb is for...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
rupor
meat popsicle

No - rupor-enable-adb is for installing and activating ADB package and it is totally separate functionality.

You have to attempt to read Google translation of original Russian forum . Otherwise I would have to translate everything - which I would do if and when time allows

In order to use additional functionality in rupor-jailbreak you have 2 ways:

1. Enter recovery mode, wait till progress bar reaches right position and changes color to gray (it is noticeable - but you have to look for it!). In the rapid succession push HOME, PREV, MENU, NEXT, BACK. You have 15 seconds to do so - if you missed your chance device will reboot normally. If you did everything right - you will enter rescue mode - you will see new disc available and will be able to use terminal.

2. After installing AMR you will see PRS-T2 Updater.package at the root of internal memory. Do not delete this package. After booting into recovery mode device will automatically and immediately enter rescue mode with disk mapping and terminal - you do not have to do anything.

For all of that - no OS Firmware or any firmware updates should be on SD card or in internal memory.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
dear hyperstruct

if you use Windows there is this guide that asks to run .bat scripts (windows 7 should work like a charm, as the risk of brick the device is quite around the corner I would NOT recommend to use VMWARE or WINE from your penguin) here it is explained the order and the nature of the packages(there is also a shark 69 guide really long and detailed in Spanish, but this one should work). please notice that if you see some different packages versions it would be because by the time the guide has been written they updated some of them, but after the clear Rupor explanation you know exactly which one to update, please come up with some feedback that I would like to manage to root as well. happy new year

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87

Last edited by trocchietto; 01-04-2013 at 06:02 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
hyperstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
No - rupor-enable-adb is for installing and activating ADB package and it is totally separate functionality.

You have to attempt to read Google translation of original Russian forum . Otherwise I would have to translate everything - which I would do if and when time allows
You're right of course. In plucking and collecting information from all over I missed some important bits, thanks for the extra explanation and I know where to look for more.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
hyperstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
if you use Windows there is this guide that asks to run .bat scripts (windows 7 should work like a charm, as the risk of brick the device is quite around the corner I would NOT recommend to use VMWARE or WINE from your penguin) here it is explained the order and the nature of the packages(there is also a shark 69 guide really long and detailed in Spanish, but this one should work). please notice that if you see some different packages versions it would be because by the time the guide has been written they updated some of them, but after the clear Rupor explanation you know exactly which one to update, please come up with some feedback that I would like to manage to root as well. happy new year

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87
I had seen that but as it explicitly mentioned an older firmware, I decided to go with the Spanish and German guides. Since I don't use Windows, part of the work was understanding the .bat scripts so as to replicate them in bash, but I had to do the firmware upgrade in a VirtualBox XP VM (I wasn't yet aware of https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade) and that still worked ok.

Work done so far is published here: https://github.com/bard/sony-prs-t2-root-linux.