Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Thumbs down 3G & Full Internet Access in Germany, a Never Ending Story

Amazon's Customer Service now really pisses me of.

I contacted them multiple times, and alway get a simple blabla answer.

I told them, I am a reader of this Forum, and know of people in Germany, with International Kindle Devices, and that those people can google and browse with their Kindles - and I can't, and I asked them: why?

I get the same answer every time: currently not available. It's like a predefined textsample, I feel like they don't even read what I write.

Why I think that? Well, here's a copy of what I wrote:
Quote:
Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion has some links to the author's and other Web Pages with more information.
Now, I know you've answered me before, that the experimental browsing is currently not available in my country (Germany).
However, as a regular reader of the MobileRead forums and the Kindle World Blog, I know about other Kindle users in Germany, some of them near Munich were I live, that can access the web, so I know that it is possible somehow.
You can take a look at my ordering history, I bought a lot of books on atheism, and sometimes I just want to do a quick google search on some viewpoints or statements, not all are covered by Wikipedia.
Is there really no way to get the access? As I understand from the product page / country specific information for the latest Kindle 6", social networking features are not available for my country (Germany) - but there is no mention of the experimental browsing not working or being restricted to Wikipedia only. So if I understand this correctly, with the latest Kindle 6" customers in Germany do have web access? For Facebook or Twitter, I don't care, but I really like to be able to google occasionaly, or take a glance at the local news headlines.
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Pascal
And this is the answer:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry to inform you that internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet using your Kindle's 3G connection is not available in Germany, however most you can access Wikipedia.

You'll find helpful information on our Using Kindle If You Live Outside the United States Help page (http://www.amazon.com/kindleinternationalsupport).

I hope this information helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?
Now see what I mean, and why I think they don't read? I asked very specific questions on Kindle 3, they ignored it.

This is going to be a never ending story I guess......

By the way, their answers always include
Quote:
Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
xxx

If no, please click here:
xxx
I clicked no, so, to be continued....
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
My impression as of now: The customer service people usually just skim a message for keywords. Apparently "3" is not one of those: I sent them a message asking about the improvement of the pdf reader in k3 in comparison to the k2 and they answered with a description of k2's pdf reader..
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

I give up, at least now it looks like someone read what I wrote.
Here's the newest reply from CS:
Quote:
While I am unable to comment on other user's experience, I have confirmed that using the web browser for other sites than Wikipedia is not available to German residents. I do not have any information on why this feature is not available. These restrictions do not apply when accessing the Web Browser over a Wi-Fi connection.

Internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet is not available in most countries outside the United States when using your Kindle's 3G connection, however most customers can access Wikipedia.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
brummiesoof
brummiesoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy

I wonder if my experience is connected with yours...
My K2 international worked fine with full browsing access in Belgium.
But now, after having travelled to the UK and using it there, I get the "local restrictions" message.
brummiesoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
bear4hunter
Addict

Belgium currently is one of the countries with "Wikipedia-Only"-Access with 3G, so if you were able to browse other sites (like I was) it was just luck
Hopefully amazon finds local carriers soon, as this really sucks.

Groeten van een landsman!
Pascal
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
FranciscoB
FranciscoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Hanlin v3
3G browsing seems to have been disabled

Quote:
I told them, I am a reader of this Forum, and know of people in Germany, with International Kindle Devices, and that those people can google and browse with their Kindles - and I can't, and I asked them: why?
I live in France, and in the first 2 weeks after receiving my DXG (right after the release), I was able to browse the internet in France and in The Netherlands. Now I can't in either of these countries.

I think they used to allow 3G browsing in Europe, and for one reason or another have now disallowed the service altogether.

This happened a couple of weeks ago (in my Kindle), so it isn't surprising that you may find 1 month old forum posts of folks claiming they were able to browse the web in Europe.
FranciscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
turntherage
turntherage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
Belgium currently is one of the countries with "Wikipedia-Only"-Access with 3G, so if you were able to browse other sites (like I was) it was just luck
Hopefully amazon finds local carriers soon, as this really sucks.

Groeten van een landsman!
Pascal
Hey guys,

I realize that this thread is embarking on a year of age, but I am traveling to Belguim in a few weeks for work and was wondering what the issue is with 3G over there. Do I need to do anything special before I go? I was hoping to take some photos and send out a targeted email marketing campaign via e-mail, but i am starting to get a little bit wary. Is anything going to work?

Last edited by turntherage; 07-27-2011 at 10:58 AM.
turntherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by turntherage View Post
I am traveling to Belguim in a few weeks for work and was wondering what the issue is with 3G over there. Do I need to do anything special before I go?
You cannot do anything, your 3G won't work except for wikipedia and the Kindle e-bookstore. It's still the same in most European countries.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
You cannot do anything, your 3G won't work except for wikipedia and the Kindle e-bookstore. It's still the same in most European countries.
It depends where YOUR Kindle is registered, not on where you travel to. If you have full internet access at home, you'll have it when you travel. A UK or a US Kindle, for example, will have full internet access everywhere in Western Europe. You will have full internet access in Germany even if a Kindle that's actually registered in Germany does not. Strange, but true!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you have full internet access at home, you'll have it when you travel.
Wow, that sounds convenient.
The other way around confuses me, though. I have a US (international) Kindle which is registered in the Netherlands. It gives me 3G access in the UK, the US and Japan, but certainly not at home, in Germany and France (haven't tried it elsewhere). So when I travel, I have no way of knowing if I have 3G access...
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote