Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello, from Athens!

Hi, everyone. I got a Kindle for my birthday in August, and since then I've been in pig heaven... Books in English are expensive here in Greece, and the selection very limited - which made this hungry reader very sad; but now I'm on a book binge and so very happy.

At any rate, I found MobileRead right away and have been lurking for a couple of months. Today I wanted to respond to something... but after signing up and trying to think of clever things to put in my profile, and reading a few of the sticky posts, well hell - I forgot what I wanted to respond to. This is probably representative.

*waving, not drowning*
tazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Greetings from Athens, Georgia! I'm glad you decided to join us. You're on a book binge? That's the best kind of binge, because it adds to your brain, not your waistline.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
Hi, everyone. I got a Kindle for my birthday in August, and since then I've been in pig heaven... Books in English are expensive here in Greece, and the selection very limited - which made this hungry reader very sad; but now I'm on a book binge and so very happy.
I'm curious how you buy Kindle books if you are in Greece. Do you have a US creditcard and address... or are you just buying mobipocket books and using kindlefix.py?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:

At any rate, I found MobileRead right away and have been lurking for a couple of months. Today I wanted to respond to something... but after signing up and trying to think of clever things to put in my profile, and reading a few of the sticky posts, well hell - I forgot what I wanted to respond to. This is probably representative.

*waving, not drowning*
Welcome to another Kindle user. We'll wait patiently until you "remember" what you wanted to respond to. With some of us, it can take days.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tazzle and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
tazzle
Glyph

pilotbob, I have a U.S. credit card (debit card, really) that we bought the Kindle with... But I don't like to use it that much - so we have two accounts at Amazon - my original Kindle account, with the U.S. card, and an account for my husband with our Greek card. From my husband's account we bought a gift certificate for my original (Kindle) account, and you can apply gift certificate money to Kindle books.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Tazzle,
a warm welcome from Italy !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Hi, everyone. I got a Kindle for my birthday in August, and since then I've been in pig heaven...
Welcome and have fun!

Is "pig heaven" an old Greek expression?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
tazzle
Glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Heh, no... that's sort of my own thing, as far as I know. Pig heaven is like regular heaven, except there's more ecstatic wallowing and fewer harps. Also, it's where pigs fly!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Quote:
Heh, no... that's sort of my own thing, as far as I know. Pig heaven is like regular heaven, except there's more ecstatic wallowing and fewer harps. Also, it's where pigs fly!
In Alabama, we said "hog heaven". It's more alliterative as you can see.

--------------------------------

Tazzle: welcome to MobileRead. We're so glad you've joined us. I'm sure you'll find that posting you wanted to reply to -- at some point. Be sure to download the MobileRead download guide. While you can't use the cellular connection in the Kindle to download books directly to the device, it's still a wonderful reference to all the MobiPocket format books available for the taking here at MobileRead. Since the guide contains the full description of each book -- well as full as the original uploader provided -- it gives you the opportunity to plan your future downloads even when you aren't using your PC.

I also own a Kindle and have found that it is a serious enabler of my reading habit and an even more serious disabler of my finances. Just yesterday I was sitting in the Philadelphia airport and decided that I wanted to read the second book in Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries. And since I was in the USA, I didn't even have to boot my PC. I just turned on the cellular antenna on the Kindle, opened the sample (which I had downloaded to the Kindle some months ago) and clicked the "buy this book" link in the sample. Before I could even exit the sample, I had the complete book on the Kindle. I just *must* exercise more discipline. (yeah ... right ... like that's ever going to happen)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
pilotbob, I have a U.S. credit card (debit card, really) that we bought the Kindle with... But I don't like to use it that much - so we have two accounts at Amazon - my original Kindle account, with the U.S. card, and an account for my husband with our Greek card. From my husband's account we bought a gift certificate for my original (Kindle) account, and you can apply gift certificate money to Kindle books.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
You know, that a really nice workaround to get around Amazon's restrictions.

That done, have to say welcome to the forum

I have to warn you that the Forum is addictive so be careful, or you'll find yourself hitting the refresh button all day long
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote