Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Ok, now the best things about the 505

We've seen the worst, how about the best????
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new Vizplex screen is the best part of the 505 as far as hardware goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new Vizplex screen is the best part of the 505 as far as hardware goes.
Jon, I swore I wasn't going to upgrade but here I am getting ready to drive over to Borders for the 505. I hope to compare the screens side by side if they have a display. I'm reading that the comparison gets better the more you use the 505? Do you find this to be the case??
Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've only compared screen at the Sony Style store and yes, it is nicer then you'd think given the low percentage of being closer to white quoted on MobileRead. And if it really is sun resistant then it's even better then I thought.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It's hard to see the difference in a well lit store. For me sitting in my chair with a lamp on the 500 is almost unreadable, but the 505 is awesome. Low light is where it really shines.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Rocketime
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
It's hard to see the difference in a well lit store. For me sitting in my chair with a lamp on the 500 is almost unreadable, but the 505 is awesome. Low light is where it really shines.
I'll ask Borders if I can do the comparison in their closet? Actually I better not, I might get arrested.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
Display on the 505 is great, almost painful to read the 500 ( with all the ghosting ). I hope the 505 will not have ghosting as it gets older- did they solve that ?
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One of the best things about the 500/505 is LRF. It allows images to be up to full screen size. Mobipocket format has restrictions in the size of images. So for books that have a lot of photos/illustrations, LRF is better then mobi.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Rocketime
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've only compared screen at the Sony Style store and yes, it is nicer then you'd think given the low percentage of being closer to white quoted on MobileRead. And if it really is sun resistant then it's even better then I thought.
I misunderstood you Jon. I thought you've had the 505 for some time now?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Rocketime
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
Ok, I broke down and bought the 505. I know, I posted it wan't in the cards for me to upgrade but............................................... ...I did and I'm not suffering any buyers remorse.

Drgnbear hit the nail on the head for me. I've had it an hour and have been able to compare the 500 and 505 in all the light conditions I can find. Yes, it is a somewhat suttle improvement just comparing in one light source but changing light conditions makes a major difference. I haven't spent a few hours reading yet but I can clearly see how the new screeen is going to be a welcome sight.

It's obvious there is quite a difference when one examines each in various lighting conditions and I think reading time is going to be the justifier leaving no doubt the new screen is far superior.

Just me initial .02 worth.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Monk
Monk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree with the Vizplex comments. Much better than the old screen. Also, the ergonomics on the 505 is better than the 500. Glad they got rid of that annoying joystick
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I agree with the Vizplex comments. Much better than the old screen. Also, the ergonomics on the 505 is better than the 500. Glad they got rid of that annoying joystick
Actually, I like the joystick. It pressed weel. I think better then the button we have now.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I got a new 505 on Thursday. I can tell a big improvement on the screen and legibility. I also like having the buttons on the right side since I'm right handed and that's the hand I use to hold the reader. I also like the updated software which allows me to add or move books in collections on the reader. I haven't had a chance to play with collections on the memory cards yet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm going to be getting to use my 505 sometime next week.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #15
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I am in agreement with others who have upgraded. The best things are the new screen and the improved button layout. The page turns are very natural now and having the number buttons next to the numbers on the menu is much more intuative. The faster refresh is noticable but not a very big deal.

I would not have upgraded if not for my 500 screen failing one year and one week after I registered it. Now that I have I am very pleased with the 505.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote