Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
tspilot01
tspilot01 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital 7"
Calibre - Pandigital

Hey Guys, Hope someone can assist. I have e-books in mobi format (which Pandigital doesn't support), so in my search for an epub converter Google screamed "Calibre" at me. I downloaded it three times (three seperate versions), and yet, when it comes to installing / running the application (on Vista) Windows prompts and reads "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package".
What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this......urgh, ready to give up, but I'm sure it's something small.
Could anyone assist this technologically impaired woman?!
Thanks a mil!
T
tspilot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Hi, and welcome to MobileRead!

If you navigate your way to the Calibre forum, I'm sure someone there will be able to help you.

Good luck with Calibre - it's a fabulous program!
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Moved to the Calibre forum
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure why you should be getting this sort of error message. It downloads and installs fine for me on my Windows 7 system. Where are you downloading it from? The two recommended sources are the official calibre site at http://calibre-ebook.com/ and the sourceforge site at http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/

That error message suggest that in some way the download is getting corrupted. Do you have access to a different computer for trying the download - sometimes a corrupt download can be cached which means you keep getting it. The other possibility is that in some way your anti-virus software is getting involved - you could try temporarily disabling it to see if that helps.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you're using a download manager that downloads the file in separate parts to make the download go faster, you may want to disable that (or use the browser built-in downloader). I've had rare occasions where a file downloaded with such a program was corrupted.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspilot01 View Post
Hey Guys, Hope someone can assist. I have e-books in mobi format (which Pandigital doesn't support), so in my search for an epub converter Google screamed "Calibre" at me. I downloaded it three times (three seperate versions), and yet, when it comes to installing / running the application (on Vista) Windows prompts and reads "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package".
What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this......urgh, ready to give up, but I'm sure it's something small.
Could anyone assist this technologically impaired woman?!
Thanks a mil!
T
I have the same problem. How to resolve it? I run vista X64
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkle View Post
I have the same problem. How to resolve it? I run vista X64
Download Managers and Anti-Virus programs are the usual culprits.
( Only downlod from Official sources if you disable your Anti-whatever)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
kinkle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Download Managers and Anti-Virus programs are the usual culprits.
( Only downlod from if you disable your Anti-whatever)
Thanks!
After two days of I downloaded again and now it work! I download both time from Official sources .. I don't know what to say
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks!
After two days of I downloaded again and now it work! I download both time from Official sources .. I don't know what to say
Remember: the definitions for your anti-whatever get updated frequently.
What their properties were yesterday, may not be the same today (False positive, now removed)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
kinkle
Connoisseur

@theducks, Now i think that i click exit to antivirus when I download second time.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
kinkle
Connoisseur

Verry curios! Now kaspersky antvirus said something about pishing, Malicous URL , etc.. blabla_Ehh.. I will ignore..
Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
kinkle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Verry curios! Now kaspersky antvirus said something about pishing, Malicous URL , etc.. blabla_Ehh.. I will ignore..
I ignore kaspersky (beta) alarm, but it not ignored me and block manny webpage! I was forced tu uninstal calibre. I will try second time.
( it not detect any viruses! )
Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I ignore kaspersky (beta) alarm, but it not ignored me and block manny webpage! I was forced tu uninstal calibre. I will try second time.
( it not detect any viruses! )
Ditch that beta Kaspersky if it will not accept a white-list at your approval.

Calibre does 'phone home' on start and makes no secret about it.
See: http://status.calibre-ebook.com/
It also checks for updates.

Unless you use the content-server or a plugin (includes the Updater plugin) that connects to a browser, AFAIK Calibre does NOT access/affect web pages.
something is not right.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
kinkle
Connoisseur

After instalation it ask me if i want to update. I chose "No".
I don't see any white list.
Rectification: In fact when I instal calibre, web pages loock without any format, without picture and.. verry strange.
Kaspersky report:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	71986  
Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
After instalation it ask me if i want to update. I chose "No".
I don't see any white list.
Rectification: In fact when I instal calibre, web pages loock without any format, without picture and.. verry strange.
Kaspersky report:
Did you read the note? Mobile Read Buttons
This web page has the following stylesheet reference
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://cdn1.4dots.com/c/vbulletin_important.css?v=385" />

'White list' is another name for 'Exclude or Trust'