Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
USB charging issues

I've been trying some of my usb based charging devices, to no result on the prs 650

1 car adapter Usb output
2 Usb output portable battery

These both work very well on my other devices, they don't work in the 650

I've noticed that the reader will only charge when its properly recognized by the pc, if you can't access the drives, its not charging. Happened in a few PCs before the drivers were installed.

I also notice that when its completly out of juice, I can start it with the portable battery , and see the red light but it will only work till it boots, then it goes to the "usb screen" telling me its not charging, and the red light goes off. No matter how much i leave it there, as soon as the cable goes off, it gets shutdown (but it can remain as much time on the "not charging" screen as the usb cable is energized)

I am guessing its more software than anything so I was wondering if there is a workaround (like leaving it off when charging off-PC).

Anyone?
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do your car charger and USB portable battery work woth Apple devices? if so, they won't work with your 650. Get chargers that work with cell phones such as a Blackberry and you'll be good to go. But if it works with Apple, it doesn't work with Sony. It's not Sony's fault. It's Apple's fault for being non-standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Ayle
Enthusiast

I have no idea. I don't dig apple much, though they Do work with my PSP.
I would have to ask for someone of my family to lend me an ipod to check.
I think they are standard USB outputs so I can't see why they can't charge.
Any other ideas? I'm pretty sure the real issue lays with the USB charging interface, because it does charge when the 650 hasn't booted yet, and when it does, it stops charging.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
rr4m
rr4m has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader 600
Posted the solution how to charge the sony reader here, please check: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=124
rr4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Ayle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr4m View Post
Posted the solution how to charge the sony reader here, please check: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=124
Thanks! I will try at home and let you know!
Advert