Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
ibm650
ibm650 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
kindle 2 and windows 7 problem

Works fine when I load xp, when I load windows 7 , I can not open the kindle hard disk to see the folders. Tried a reset , no joy
ibm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Hmm, odd. I'd definitely call customer service on this one and see if any other Win7 owners are having this problem. And/or if they have a fix.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have Win 7 on 3 machines. Two fresh installs and one an upgrade from Vista. I haven't had problems with my Kindle on any of them.

Have you tried connecting the Kindle to all the USB ports available? Which reset did you try, the pinhole hard reset or the factory reset from the settings menu? Try the one you didn't use before.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have Win 7 on 3 machines. Two fresh installs and one an upgrade from Vista. I haven't had problems with my Kindle on any of them.

Have you tried connecting the Kindle to all the USB ports available? Which reset did you try, the pinhole hard reset or the factory reset from the settings menu? Try the one you didn't use before.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
No pinhole hard reset on a K2 - just the menu option.

For sure try the USB port on the rear of the PC - they have the most power.
(Search the forum - lots of posts on this pesky USB problem on Vista & XP too).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
No pinhole hard reset on a K2 - just the menu option.
You're right! I'm mixing my Kindles.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
ibm650
ibm650 is on a distinguished road

Tried another machine with a newer version of 7, worked.
Thanks
ibm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
levi.siebens
levi.siebens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For anyone else who runs into this problem, there seems to be an issue with if you have a network share mapped and unaccessable. For example I had a network share mapped to the G: drive, however it wasn't currently availiable (in other words it had an X through it). However when I plugged the kindle in, it autoassigned itself to the G: drive, yet did not show up in the Computer folder. So if I double clicked on the disconnect network share, I went to my kindle...even though it said it was a disconnected network share. You can fix this issue by reassigning the drive letter of the kindle through computer management.
levi.siebens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Thorkin
Thorkin began at the beginning.

I suspect I'm having a similar problem -- Windows 7, my Kindle 2 always connected fine to my old XP computer, but now Windows 7 on the new computer

1) at first, wasn't recognizing the existence of the kindle as a drive on the drive screen, even though the kindle had the "usb mode" screen up and the kindle was listed under device manager

2) after a reset of kindle and reboot of computer, eventually recognized the existence of a drive, (drive G but hung when attempting to read the drive and eventually told me I needed to format the Kindle's drive (something I didn't do).

How can I fix this, precisely? I suspect I'm having the "network drive mapped" bug, but I don't know how that happened -- I certainly never deliberately created a network drive on this computer.

Any tips?
Thorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was having problems getting my Win 7 64 bit PC to recognize my K2 and I googled around and found this solution:

1. Restart your PC
2. Restart your Kindle 2
3. Turn your Kindle OFF (by holding the slider button to the right until the screen blanks).
4. Connect your powered off Kindle 2 to your Win 7 64 bit PC

My K2 was detected and I was able to see the folder structure and best of all, I was able to use the K2 with Calibre.

When I did this the only odd behavior was that when I went to eject my powered down K2 it would eject and then be immediately detected again. At that point I manually removed it.

Now I can completely detect my Kindle 2, before it would show up as a device but I couldn't see the folders and files on the K2. Windows Explorer would churn until I closed the window. Now everything seems to be working except when I eject the K2 it doesn't really eject.

Maybe another PC reboot will fix that.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I was having problems getting my Win 7 64 bit PC to recognize my K2 and I googled around and found this solution:

1. Restart your PC
2. Restart your Kindle 2
3. Turn your Kindle OFF (by holding the slider button to the right until the screen blanks).

My K2 was detected and I was able to see the folder structure and best of all, I was able to use the K2 with Calibre.

When I did this the only odd behavior was that when I went to eject my powered down K2 it would eject and then be immediately detected again. At that point I manually removed it.

Now I can completely detect my Kindle 2, before it would show up as a device but I couldn't see the folders and files on the K2. Windows Explorer would churn until I closed the window. Now everything seems to be working except when I eject the K2 it doesn't really eject.

I'm having a problem in that it is taking forever to eject. I have gotten in the habit of going into task manager and shutting down Calibre.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I'd check your windows 7 is up to date and also your motherboard firmware is up to date. It sounds like a USB to software issue?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:

1. Restart your PC
2. Restart your Kindle 2

running Win7 x64 ultimate here and I found the same issue if I used the "eject" option from the system tray. The kindle ejects but for some reason the k2i doesn't get the message. But if you eject from within Win Explorer then it functions correctly and the K2i goes into "read while plugged in" mode as it should.

I have not cared to look deeper into the issue as I rarely ever use the reader while connected via USB. And yeah, my system is always up to date and is relatively new install of only a couple months old now.

Just something odd for now I suppose...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
[QUOTE=brecklundin;834547]running Win7 x64 ultimate here and I found the same issue if I used the "eject" option from the system tray. The kindle ejects but for some reason the k2i doesn't get the message. But if you eject from within Win Explorer then it functions correctly and the K2i goes into "read while plugged in" mode as it should.
QUOTE]

Here is a stupid question - how do you eject from within WE? I am having problems ejecting using the system tray.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I always eject from WE and I'm still having problems only with my K2. My DX ejects normally. When I get time I'll back up my K2 and do a factory reset.

To access WE click on "My Computer" or "Computer" depending on your version of Windows. Also in Win 7 there is a Libraries icon (looks like a manila folder) in the taskbar right beside the "Start" Button.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
I always eject from WE and I'm still having problems only with my K2. My DX ejects normally. When I get time I'll back up my K2 and do a factory reset.

To access WE click on "My Computer" or "Computer" depending on your version of Windows. Also in Win 7 there is a Libraries icon (looks like a manila folder) in the taskbar right beside the "Start" Button.
That's strange.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote